What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Gone With the Wind

I finally found the WORST MOVIE THAT EVERYONE ELSE LOVES. I hated this movie with a passion. Can't stand that girl! Everytime she opens her mouth or smiles her sly smiles it makes me want to take a shower. Best line: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. If the line would have come with a beating, the movie would inch up on the palatable scale.

Edited by Silhouette

He must have had collaborative help/advice from some theoretical physicists or cosmologists.

The film recruited Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist, to be one of its executive producers. He's the author of "The Science of Interstellar."

Source: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/neil-degrasse-tyson-impressed-by-science-of-interstellar/

Big Hero 6.  My kids loved it.  I thought it was just blah - I thought the story was kinda shallow.  I guess I just got all movie'd out...

Then we went home and had a triple feature of Fassbender's Jane Eyre (again for the umpteenth time) and Jackman's Les Miserables and Butler's Phamtom of the Opera.  Still wished Butler played Javert.

Just watched Maleficent. Good twist on the original. Seemed rushed in the story. I didn't feel an attachment to the characters, which in a movie that takes an approach based on strong feelings of love, anger and revenge bothered me. 

If it was something like X-men. Who cares about characters, you just want to see cool powers and great scenes. Am I right? :) 

Secrets of the Samurai Sword an interesting documentary on what made the katana family of blades some of the highest quality blades produced in ancient times.

You know what I found very odd on my mission in Japan was the number of highly respected deeply traditional artist joined the Church. In my mission alone there was a famous Tea Master who trained girls all over Japan in the tea-ceremony, as well as a Stake President and Branch President from different areas that were both respected sword smiths and made a living making samurai swords. The branch President told me the final step in sharpening the sword is down with silk and extremely time consuming.  I will check this out. 

Just watched Maleficent. Good twist on the original. Seemed rushed in the story. I didn't feel an attachment to the characters, which in a movie that takes an approach based on strong feelings of love, anger and revenge bothered me.

If it was something like X-men. Who cares about characters, you just want to see cool powers and great scenes. Am I right? :)

We rented Maleficent today too. Loved it as much this time as the first time I saw it. There is no bad language in it at all. Not one word. It can get violent, but not graphically so. No blood whatsoever. I did feel very close to the characters. I thought the story was well-told from Maleficent's perspective. I felt all of her emotions, as well as the king's slow slide into insanity and obsession. Aurora was beautifully portrayed I thought.

All-in-all, I thought it was great.

You know what I found very odd on my mission in Japan was the number of highly respected deeply traditional artist joined the Church. In my mission alone there was a famous Tea Master who trained girls all over Japan in the tea-ceremony, as well as a Stake President and Branch President from different areas that were both respected sword smiths and made a living making samurai swords. The branch President told me the final step in sharpening the sword is down with silk and extremely time consuming.  I will check this out. 

wow.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  With my two boys ages 13 and 11.  They loved it.  They didn't even say one word - not one - about how cheesy the special effects are...

On Maleficent.  I hate that movie.  And I don't use the word "hate" lightly.

One of the last good ones I watched was Black Robe.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Robe_%28film%29

Dances with Wolves was good as well, and I liked the authentic Lakota that was spoken in some parts of the movie.

Both movies I watched synchronized on German TV (but with the original Indian languages in both movies), and Black Robe I watched on You Tube also in English. Here one of my favourite scenes:

"I have still other greater things that I can teach you."

And "Red Sun" with Charles Bronson, Alain Delon, and Toshiro Mifune. The German film title was  "Rivalen unter roter Sonne".  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sun

"I tell you what, we'll call it a draw."

Edited by JimmiGerman

Finally saw 'Noah.' I liked it. I'm not sure about portraying the watchers the way they did, but OK.  I thought the score was very good.  I'll probably watch it again while I've got it on amazon. Usually I watch Netflix and amazon movies on my desktop while I do other stuff. Noah was one of the rare movies that made me stop working and watch the movie.

The Hunger Games. Again. Excellent acting, portraying a very disturbing way of life. In fact, I found the movie very disturbing in general. It's a bizarre world they live in, what with all the weird makeup and clothing and hairstyles. And I dislike the "children killing children" theme throughout. Especially the way some are portrayed as relishing the experience. But for me, the acting makes it worthwhile, if creepily realistic.

I adore Woody Harrelson's portrayal of Heymitch, or ever how the name is spelled. But then I adore Woody Harrelson anyway.

Frankenstein....the original one with Boris Karloff in the title role. I love these old Universal horror movies, so I thought it was great.

I picked up that on Bluray last month. It looks very good and includes the Kenneth Branagh narrated documentary 'Universal Horror' which adds a lot to the whole historical context of those Universals. My favorite is 'The Mummy'.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic