What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Memoirs of a Geisha. Beautiful movie. I loved seeing the costumes and it was just beautifully shot.

But, I didn't like the story that much. I know it isn't my culture, but I have a hard time with the whole geisha thing NOT being akin to prostitution, so the fact that an older man essentially helps a 10 y/o become a prostitute claws at me.

Really? Why? I just watched it for the first time last week and was bored to tears. The singing was good, but the story and acting was ick. And I just don't think Rebel Wilson is funny. I've never enjoyed buffoonery or slapstick comedy and she is more slapstick than actual comedy, IMO.

The singing was good. Period. I don't care for the rest. Well, no, that's a lie. I thought the puke angel was awesome. LOL! I have the rewind/forward feature on my cable. I rewind all the songs twice, three, sometimes 4 times - yes, including the shower song, the auditions, the cup song, the competitions, the sing off, the bus song, the bruno mars song, and for the finals song I get to get up and do the dance with it - yes the magic one too where they get to "freeze". Yep, I memorized the moves too! Don't you... forget about me. Wickedly AWESOME.

Edited by anatess

Memoirs of a Geisha. Beautiful movie. I loved seeing the costumes and it was just beautifully shot.

But, I didn't like the story that much. I know it isn't my culture, but I have a hard time with the whole geisha thing NOT being akin to prostitution, so the fact that an older man essentially helps a 10 y/o become a prostitute claws at me.

You'll probably understand it better if you read the book. The book goes into the history of it and more into the inner struggle of the geisha... both the older woman and the new recruit... and how it compares to prostitution.

I liked the movie okay, but I watched it after the Crouching Tiger and I kept on wishing they'd draw swords and fight already. :)

I quite liked Pitch Perfect and it's totally not my thing to begin with. For some reason, this is how I envision BYU being.. a bunch of perky kids singing around campus..

Speaking of Rebel.. I didn't know that all her siblings also have "unique" names.. I caught bits of it from Ellen's show.

Most recent was My Little Pony's World's Biggest Tea Party Live on stage. No one told me that toddlers cycle through obsessions so quickly. One day it's Dora, the next it's the minions from Despicable Me, and next it's My Little Pony, and next... I think I've seen all three movies like a billion times already.

The Smurfs 2.

Not a first choice for DH and I but anymore we try to select movies that will interest our two-year old. I think the second instalment was a lot better than the first. The plot was better and it was actually a bit funnier. Total clean fun with a moral to the story, great for a family night.

Here Comes the Boom.

- Really funny stuff. Example, Henry Winkler in the corner forgot the stool and complaining, "I don't understand what my role is here. I'm just a music teacher." LOL! And Chael Sonnen getting tapped out and then complaining to the ref, "I was only fooling around!". LOL! And the trainer getting quizzed for US Citizenship, "What are the 3 branches of government?", "Democrat, Republican, and Libertarian." LOL!!! You kinda just forget the bad stuff like the biology teacher doing a chemistry demonstration in class...

Here Comes the Boom.

- Really funny stuff. Example, Henry Winkler in the corner forgot the stool and complaining, "I don't understand what my role is here. I'm just a music teacher." LOL! And Chael Sonnen getting tapped out and then complaining to the ref, "I was only fooling around!". LOL! And the trainer getting quizzed for US Citizenship, "What are the 3 branches of government?", "Democrat, Republican, and Libertarian." LOL!!! You kinda just forget the bad stuff like the biology teacher doing a chemistry demonstration in class...

We enjoyed that one too. We got to meet Bas Rutten who played Niko in Vegas.

Enders Game - wondering if they will do a sequel for "Speaker for the Dead."

I'll make a wild guess here and say that Anddenex enjoyed it. I would think that if you didn't, you'd hardly care if there was going to be a sequel.

PS--Anyone NOT read the books beforehand and "get" that movie? Still haven't seen it (haven't read the book) and my desire to do so is dwindling away.. But I've run out of new films to see, so..

PS--Anyone NOT read the books beforehand and "get" that movie? Still haven't seen it (haven't read the book) and my desire to do so is dwindling away.. But I've run out of new films to see, so..

Yes. My friend who doesn't even like this type of movie saw it. She hates anything sci-fi, or fantasy...give her The Notebook type of movies all day long. But, she understood it and actually (surprisingly) enjoyed it.

Okay okay... you can't drop that and not tell me how you liked it!

Loved it! I think the best movie I have seen all year. My wife even loved it and she isn't a sci-fi fan. She loved enough she told our oldest if he reads the book he can watch the movie. Mom usually doesn't say that. ;)

I'll make a wild guess here and say that Anddenex enjoyed it. I would think that if you didn't, you'd hardly care if there was going to be a sequel.

Bini, in my opinion, it is MUCH BETTER if you don't read the book first!

I was wondering the same thing if that wouldn't work with today's entertainment.

In the words of Card:

"Speaker for the Dead is unfilmable. It consists of talking heads, interrupted by moments of excruciating and unwatchable violence. Now, I admit, there's plenty of unwatchable violence in film, but never attached to my name."

"'Speaker for the Dead, I don't want it to be filmed. I can't imagine it being filmed."

But, Ender in Exile might be the next.

Edited by anatess

Disney's PLANES.

Cute movie overall but grossly lacking in storyline in comparison to its CARS counterpart. The characters were entertaining enough but you never quite felt connected to any one of them - not even the main guy. Still, Disney delivers fantastic visuals and if you're a kid - you'll enjoy it.

The Ward. I like John Carpenter movies. This was really good.

Acclaimed director John Carpenter makes his long awaited return to the screen with a thriller about a young woman in a 1960s mental institution who becomes terrorized by malevolent unseen forces. Kristen, a beautiful but troubled young woman, finds herself bruised, cut, drugged with laughing gas. The other patients in the ward four equally disturbed young women offer no answers, and Kristen quickly realizes things are not as they seem. The air is heavy with secrets, and at night, when the hospital is dark and foreboding, she hears strange and frightening sounds. It appears they are not alone. One-by-one, the other girls begin to disappear and Kristen must find a way out of this hellish place before she, too, becomes a victim. As she struggles to escape, she will uncover a truth far more dangerous and horrifying than anyone could have imagined.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic