What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

The Ward. I like John Carpenter movies. This was really good.

Acclaimed director John Carpenter makes his long awaited return to the screen with a thriller about a young woman in a 1960s mental institution who becomes terrorized by malevolent unseen forces. Kristen, a beautiful but troubled young woman, finds herself bruised, cut, drugged with laughing gas. The other patients in the ward four equally disturbed young women offer no answers, and Kristen quickly realizes things are not as they seem. The air is heavy with secrets, and at night, when the hospital is dark and foreboding, she hears strange and frightening sounds. It appears they are not alone. One-by-one, the other girls begin to disappear and Kristen must find a way out of this hellish place before she, too, becomes a victim. As she struggles to escape, she will uncover a truth far more dangerous and horrifying than anyone could have imagined.

This would probably give me nightmares the rest of my life!

A Princess of Mars -- fabulous pulp sci-fi from 100 years ago. The initial story spans the first three books; I'm currently reading #3 to Sister Vort. Don't look for Shakespearean writing, but it's a fun yarn. The movie was a disaster, though I admit the special effects were pretty impressive. But the titular (no pun intended) princess of Mars, The Incomparable® Dejah Thoris, is not a sword-fighter; John Carter is the sword-fighter. The Incomparable® Dejah Thoris is the indescribably beautiful, courageous, true, yet delicate object of John Carter's undying affection, constantly getting her pretty little head into mortal danger so that John Carter can manfully bail her out, all the while thanking her for the privilege.

Of course, it would be so deeply politically incorrect to tell such a story -- helpless women in peril, being rescued by doughty men? Unthinkable! -- that Disney would never be willing to do so. Which makes one wonder why they secured the rights to a story they didn't like.

the movie portrayal of Dejah is probably closer to their daughter lol.

I also saw Man of steel for the first time the other day. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Edited by Blackmarch

Crossing Over.

This is the second time I've seen it. The subject is interesting and the acting is superb but there's a lot of grittiness in the movie, namely, nudity and heavy violence. I would still recommend it, however, it's definitely worth a watch but not as a family night movie.

PS--Anyone NOT read the books beforehand and "get" that movie? Still haven't seen it (haven't read the book) and my desire to do so is dwindling away.. But I've run out of new films to see, so..

Didn't recognize you asked this question Bini. Should be more thorough in my readings. Both my wife and I hadn't read the books when we watched the movie.

I am on the third book now since I watched the movie.

Didn't recognize you asked this question Bini. Should be more thorough in my readings. Both my wife and I hadn't read the books when we watched the movie.

I am on the third book now since I watched the movie.

Did you read Ender's Exile before you read Speaker?

Nope: my order in reading thus far: Enders Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide -- are you telling once finished with book 3 I need to read Ender's Exile before I continue?

No, No! Speaker, Xenocide, and Children are a set. Children continues the story in Xenocide and wraps up Lusitania with the Piggies, the Buggers, and the humans united in fighting a common foe. So, it really brings them all together in shrink wrapped package.

Ender in Exile continues the story of Ender's Game and basically lays the foundation of how he became Speaker. So, if you haven't read that, I suggest reading Ender's Shadow first (which is Bean's story parallel to Ender's Game, so Ender is a minor character), then you can either go straight on to the Shadow Series (Bean's life after Ender's Game) and end in Ender's Exile (bringing it back to Ender), or you can just read Ender's Exile (there are some stuff in Ender's Exile that makes better sense after reading the Shadow series as it kinda plugs in some holes in Bean's story) to stick with Ender.

I know, I know... it's tough when a series goes in tangents like this...

How To Train Your Dragon.

This is literally my favourite animated movie of all time to date. (And I looooove Tangled.) There's something so relatable to it and you just feel awesome all the way through. If I could have a dragon - I would! Highly recommend to anyone and everyone. I'm so excited for part 2 in 2014...

This is literally my favourite animated movie of all time to date. (And I looooove Tangled.) There's something so relatable to it and you just feel awesome all the way through. If I could have a dragon - I would! Highly recommend to anyone and everyone. I'm so excited for part 2 in 2014...

Ahhhh... Tangled versus Dragon... Aaaahhh... they're both up there with me so I can't really choose. But, I have 2 young boys who are gung ho over Dragons and who roll their eyes if I put Tangled on for the quadzillionth time, so... I have Tangled on blue-ray 3D and it looks super awesome with all the lights out.

Frozen, although worth the full price theater ticket and large popcorn, couldn't compare. One thing I noticed is Frozen's songs doesn't feel like it flows with the conversation like Tangled does. In Tangled, when they break into song, it kinda just goes with the story and doesn't feel too contrived. Okay, a perfect example of this is Ice Age: Continental Drift... when the pirates break into song it's like... get ready now, he's gonna sing. Know what I mean?

I think a lot of it had to do with the timeliness of the times when it came out. It was a hot topic at that time.

You mean the dad winning over a custody battle that is predominantly mom-won? Or the wife needing to rise beyond the home-maker role?

No, No! Speaker, Xenocide, and Children are a set. Children continues the story in Xenocide and wraps up Lusitania with the Piggies, the Buggers, and the humans united in fighting a common foe. So, it really brings them all together in shrink wrapped package.

Ender in Exile continues the story of Ender's Game and basically lays the foundation of how he became Speaker. So, if you haven't read that, I suggest reading Ender's Shadow first (which is Bean's story parallel to Ender's Game, so Ender is a minor character), then you can either go straight on to the Shadow Series (Bean's life after Ender's Game) and end in Ender's Exile (bringing it back to Ender), or you can just read Ender's Exile (there are some stuff in Ender's Exile that makes better sense after reading the Shadow series as it kinda plugs in some holes in Bean's story) to stick with Ender.

I know, I know... it's tough when a series goes in tangents like this...

Thank you, that appears to be a good plan.

As I recall, the ex-wife abandoned her family, then came back to get their child and won.

I haven't read the book, but in the movie, the mom won the first round but the dad was going for an appeal but the kid never got to stay with mom because she decided to forget all about it. See, this is why I didn't like the movie. You get to know dad, but you never really get to know mom.

Centurion.

Roman soldiers are trapped behind enemy lines after a brutal ambush decimates their legion. They must fight their way to freedom while hunted by a relentless warrior princess out for Roman blood.

Very good movie. Graphic dark ages combat. A really good storyline.

I bought both movies for my Grandson. We saw Tangled in the theater.

I love How to Train Your Dragon. Even though it was a little scary for our grandson when we first got it, he loved it. He watched it over and over. He loves Hiccup and Toothless. He loves Repunzel too... and Eugene. :)

I bought both movies for my Grandson. We saw Tangled in the theater.

I love How to Train Your Dragon. Even though it was a little scary for our grandson when we first got it, he loved it. He watched it over and over. He loves Hiccup and Toothless. He loves Repunzel too... and Eugene. :)

My kids love the TV series as well. Maybe your son will like it too! They also liked the straight-to-video sequels. I think there's 3 of them. The graphics in the TV and straight-to-video episodes are not quite half as good as the movie but the stories are still engaging.

50 Children: The Rescue Mission of Mr. and Mrs. Kraus

It's a great documentary about Gilbert and Eleanor Kraus' efforts to bring 50 children out of Nazi-controlled Vienna to the United States in 1939.

At that time (as it is now), the US' immigration laws had quotas on the number of immigrants from certain countries that can enter the US. The waiting list for Germany/Austria was 5 years long. The Kraus' tried to petition for visas to bring Jewish children out of Austria and Germany into the US but they were denied. It took a lot of wading though the political quagmire of the times to eventually find 50 visas. There were 600 children that applied to the Kraus' for help only 25 boys and 25 girls were able to get visas. The Kraus' flew into Vienna at their peril (they were secular jews) and took the 50 children out of Vienna to bring into the US leaving their parents behind. One of the children got ill prior to the journey and had to be left behind. The child, Heinrich Steinberger, only 5 years old at the time, was replaced by another child. 3 years later, Heinrich was exterminated at a concentration camp in Poland. All in all, 1.5 million children were exterminated by the Nazis in the holocaust.

"People don't understand this but in the beginning, you can get out. Everybody could get out. Nobody would let us in. Everyone could have been saved. Everyone." - Henny Wenkart, one of the 50 children.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic