What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

The Lone Ranger

How was it? I like Johnny Depp and all, but my knickers get in a twist when white people play people of color. Surely in the great United States of America there is a Native American capable of playing Tonto. Depp might as well have put on black face. Jay Silverheels must be rolling in his grave.

How was it? I like Johnny Depp and all, but my knickers get in a twist when white people play people of color. Surely in the great United States of America there is a Native American capable of playing Tonto. Depp might as well have put on black face. Jay Silverheels must be rolling in his grave.

It was on the weird side at times......still watched all of it. Not bad

I just recently saw American Hustle. I'm a fan of Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, so I was curious. David O Russell was the director and he was also involved in Silver Linings Playbook, which I loved. American Hustle was good, the music was great. As I got to know the characters I started rooting for Christian Bale's character; he's the good guy, he's smart and I was on his side. I recommend it but language and nudity exist.

M.

Saving Mr. Banks. Being a Disneyland regular, I was hoping they would do special effects to show how the park was in the 1960s. Nope, they just filmed it as-is. In fact, they really didn't do much to try to fit with the period other than a few token balloons. I was pretty disappointed at that. And Tom Hanks simply doesn't have the voice to play Walt Disney. Otherwise, the movie was fine.

So I just watched 2001: A Space odyssey for the first time. I was intrigued with the lack of a musical score during the actual acting portions of the movie. I was okay with the film up until the last 30 minutes of crack ecstasy cocktail lazer show and freaked out music. All I can say, is WHAT THE HECK!?!?!

I read that the meaning of the show is left up for interpretation on purpose, but I must not be smart enough to interpret the ending. Yikes!

So I just watched 2001: A Space odyssey for the first time. I was intrigued with the lack of a musical score during the actual acting portions of the movie. I was okay with the film up until the last 30 minutes of crack ecstasy cocktail lazer show and freaked out music. All I can say, is WHAT THE HECK!?!?!

I read that the meaning of the show is left up for interpretation on purpose, but I must not be smart enough to interpret the ending. Yikes!

I was bored to tears watching that movie.

I was bored to tears watching that movie.

Yeah, it was a different movie, that's for sure. With all of the visual affects and fast action now a days it was a little difficult to get through. I thought there would be more space computer problems and less weird music and monkeys. :huh:

The Conjuring. That was one creepy scary movie. Well done without the need to be a splatter movie.

This scared my husband!!! And he NEVER gets scared in the movies! He watched it while the kids and I were out of town, and so he piled all 3 dogs in his bed that night so he can sleep. LOL!

For those of you who saw, or are going to see, 'Saving Mr Banks,' you might be interested in this documentary on YouTube The Secret Life of Mary Poppins - BBC documentary - YouTube. It describes PL Travers, has some clips of her, Disney, info about her life, etc. Apparently she was quite the 'unique' person - such as adopting a child as a single person back in the 1930's.

I saw 'Mary Poppins' when it came out, but never read the books. There is some discussion of the difference between the books and the movie, if you're interested. Funny note - she was never fond of the cartoons and at the party after the premier she asked Disney to take them out. Disney responded, "That ship has sailed."

There are some wonderful BBC documentaries on YT.

Mortal Instruments. Uhm... this one didn't click for me (I didn't like the books either because of the stupid heroine... Twilight, Hunger Games, and Mortal Instruments all share this same plague).

But, I did have fun trying to reconcile Kili, the dwarf, with Luke, the werewolf.

Coraline.

This movie is just pure excellence. Never read the book (apparently, there's a book) but the stop-motion film is superb. The storyline, the characters, the puppetry - all superb. Highly recommend, though, it might be a bit scary for little kids.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic