House of Representatives votes to continue spying on Americans

WASHINGTON — The House narrowly rejected a challenge to the National Security Agency’s secret collection of hundreds of millions of Americans’ phone records Wednesday night after a fierce debate pitting privacy rights against the government’s efforts to thwart terrorism.

The vote was 217-205 on an issue that created unusual political coalitions in Washington, with libertarian-leaning conservatives and liberal Democrats pressing for the change against the Obama administration, the Republican establishment and Congress’ national security experts.

The showdown vote marked the first chance for lawmakers to take a stand on the secret surveillance program since former National Security Agency systems analyst Edward Snowden leaked classified documents last month that spelled out the monumental scope of the government’s activities.

Backing the National Security Agency program were 134 Republicans and 83 Democrats, including House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, who typically does not vote, and Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi. Rejecting the administration’s last-minute pleas to spare the surveillance operation were 94 Republicans and 111 Democrats.

Article continues at this website:

House votes to continue NSA surveillance program

Edited by pam

I am angry at any Representatives who support this. The ability to spy on anyone for any reason at all is far too much power for anyone to have. John Boehner has betrayed all conservatives and of course power hungry Obama is all for this.

This is the framework being set up for a totalitarian government. I will put a list of all those who supported this later. Hold them accountable people. Remember this well at the next election when you are in the voting booth.

I hate to burst anyone bubble but you are complaining about a very small tip of a very big iceberg. Over 30 years ago I worked on classified projects for the defense department developing technology. We could track individuals almost anywhere in the world (walking or in cars or other vehicles) via satellite. We could also listen in on conversations (without a so-called bug) anywhere there were speakers (radio, TV, phone, headphones etc.) weather or not the speakers were powered (on or off).

If the government wants to target someone - as we have recently learned - it is very easy to obtain a legal subpoena to gather information without repercussions for exaggerating or even falsifying the reasons. The only possible defense is to elect trust worthy individuals - an impossible political condition in our current culture. In essence the cows are already out of the barn - there is no need at this point to try to close the barn door.

The Traveler

If you're concerned about privacy, there's a ton of recommended practices and free technologies you can use to secure your communications and online activities. A good place to start is a website the EFF set up called the Surveillance Self-Defense site that details good habits, how electronic spying actually works, and good steps you can take and free programs you can use to prevent being spied upon.

If you're concerned about privacy, there's a ton of recommended practices and free technologies you can use to secure your communications and online activities. A good place to start is a website the EFF set up called the Surveillance Self-Defense site that details good habits, how electronic spying actually works, and good steps you can take and free programs you can use to prevent being spied upon.

Sounds like an excellent way to draw attention to one's self and get on a short list. :D

The Traveler

Good Afternoon LittleWyvern. I hope you are doing well! :)

We, the people of the United States, established a government to secure and to protect our privacy and freedoms.

How ironic that you are proposing methods that we can use to protect ourselves from the violation of our rights by the government that was established to protect those rights.

Regards,

Finrock

Edited by Finrock
Grammar

I apologize for the list not being in alphabetical order. Here are the voting results:

Those voting to restrict National Security Administration spying in the House of Representatives (205 votes):

Amash

Amodei

Bachus

Barton

Bass

Becerra

Bentivolio

Bishop (UT)

BlackBlackburn

Blumenauer

Bonamici

Brady (PA)

Braley (IA)

Bridenstine

Broun (GA)

Buchanan

Burgess

Capps

Capuano

Cárdenas

Carson (IN)

Cartwright

Cassidy

Chabot

Chaffetz

Chu

Cicilline

Clarke

Clay

Cleaver

Gardner

Garrett

Gibson

Gohmert

Gosar

Gowdy

Graves (GA)

Grayson

Green, Gene

Griffin (AR)

Griffith (VA)

Grijalva

Hahn

Hall

Harris

Hastings (FL)

Holt

Honda

Huelskamp

Huffman

Huizenga (MI)

Hultgren

Jeffries

Jenkins

Johnson (OH)

Jones

Jordan

Keating

Kildee

Kingston

Labrador

Owens

Pascrell

Pastor (AZ)

Pearce

Perlmutter

Perry

Petri

Pingree (ME)

Pocan

Poe (TX)

Polis

PoseyPrice (GA)

Radel

Rahall

Rangel

Ribble

Rice (SC)

Richmond

Roe (TN)

Rohrabacher

Ross

Rothfus

Roybal-Allard

Rush

Salmon

Sánchez, Linda T.

Sanchez, Loretta

Sanford

Sarbanes

Scalise

Clyburn

Coffman

Cohen

Connolly

Conyers

Courtney

Cramer

Crowley

Cummings

Daines

Davis, Danny

Davis, Rodney

DeFazio

DeGette

DeLauro

DelBene

DeSantis

DesJarlais

Deutch

Dingell

Doggett

Doyle

Duffy

Duncan (SC)

Duncan (TN)

Edwards

Ellison

Eshoo

Farenthold

Farr

Fattah

Fincher

Fitzpatrick

Fleischmann

Fleming

Fudge

Gabbard

Garamendi

LaMalfa

Lamborn

Larson (CT)

Lee (CA)

Lewis

Loebsack

Lofgren

Lowenthal

Lujan Grisham (NM)

Luján, Ben Ray (NM)

Lummis

Lynch

Maffei

Maloney, Carolyn

Marchant

Massie

Matsui

McClintock

McCollum

McDermott

McGovern

McHenry

McMorris

Rodgers

Meadows

Mica

Michaud

Miller, Gary

Miller, George

Moore

Moran

Mullin

Mulvaney

Nadler

Napolitano

Neal

Nolan

Nugent

O'Rourke

Schiff

Schrader

Schweikert

Scott (VA)

Sensenbrenner

Serrano

Shea-Porter

Sherman

Smith (MO)

Smith (NJ)

Southerland

Speier

Stewart

Stockman

Swalwell (CA)

Takano

Thompson (MS)

Thompson (PA)

Tierney

Tipton

Tonko

Tsongas

Vela

Velázquez

Walz

Waters

Watt

Waxman

Weber (TX)

Welch

Williams

Wilson (SC)

Yarmuth

Yoder

Yoho

Young (AK)

217 voting in favor of National Security Administration spying in

the House of Representatives:

Aderholt

Alexander

Andrews

Bachmann

Barber

Barr

Barrow (GA)

Benishek

Bera (CA)

Hanna

Harper

Hartzler

Hastings (WA)

Heck (NV)

Heck (WA)

Hensarling

Higgins

HimesPeters (CA)

Peters (MI)

Peterson

Pittenger

Pitts

Pompeo

Price (NC)

Quigley

Reed

Bishop (GA)

Bishop (NY)

Boehner

Bonner

Boustany

Brady (TX)

Brooks (AL)

Brooks (IN)

Brown (FL)

Brownley (CA)

Bucshon

Butterfield

Calvert

Camp

Cantor

Capito

Carney

Carter

Castor (FL)

Castro (TX)

Cole

Collins (GA)

Collins (NY)

Conaway

Cook

Cooper

Costa

Cotton

Crawford

Crenshaw

Cuellar

Culberson

Davis (CA)

Delaney

Denham

DentDiaz-Balart

Duckworth

Ellmers

Engel

Enyart

Esty

Flores

Forbes

Fortenberry

Foster

Foxx

Frankel (FL)

Franks (AZ)

Frelinghuysen

Hinojosa

Holding

Hoyer

Hudson

Hunter

Hurt

Israel

Issa

Jackson

Lee

Johnson (GA)

Johnson, E. B.

Johnson, SamJoyce

Kaptur

Kelly (IL)

Kelly (PA)

Kennedy

Kilmer

Kind

King (IA)

King (NY)

Kinzinger (IL)

Kirkpatrick

Kline

Kuster

Lance

Langevin

Lankford

Larsen (WA)

LathamLatta

Levin

Lipinski

LoBiondo

Long

Lowey

Lucas

Luetkemeyer

Maloney, Sean

Marino

Matheson

McCarthy (CA)

McCaul

McIntyre

McKeon

McKinley

McNerney

Meehan

Meeks

Meng

Messer

Reichert

Renacci

Rigell

Roby

Rogers (AL)

Rogers (KY)

Rogers (MI)

Rooney

Ros-Lehtinen

Roskam

Royce

Ruiz

Runyan

Ruppersberger

Ryan (OH)

Ryan (WI)

Schakowsky

Schneider

Schwartz

Scott, Austin

Scott, David

Sessions

Sewell (AL)

Shimkus

Shuster

Simpson

Sinema

Sires

Slaughter

Smith (NE)

Smith (TX)

Smith (WA)

Stivers

Stutzman

Terry

Thompson (CA)

Thornberry

Tiberi

Titus

Turner

Upton

Valadao

Van Hollen

Vargas

Veasey

Visclosky

Wagner

Walberg

Walden

Walorski

Wasserman

Schultz

Gallego

Garcia

Gerlach

Gibbs

Gingrey (GA)

Goodlatte

Granger

Graves (MO)

Green, Al

Grimm

Guthrie

Gutiérrez

Hanabusa

Miller (FL)

Miller (MI)

Murphy (FL)

Murphy (PA)

Neugebauer

Noem

Nunes

Nunnelee

Olson

Palazzo

Paulsen

Payne

Pelosi

Webster (FL)

Wenstrup

Westmoreland

Whitfield

Wilson (FL)

Wittman

Wolf

Womack

Woodall

Young (FL)

Young (IN)

Those abstaining from the vote on National Security Administration spying (in my mind cowards) --- NOT VOTING 12 ---

Barletta

Beatty

Bustos

Campbell

Coble

Herrera

Beutler

Horsford

McCarthy (NY)

Negrete

McLeod

Pallone

Rokita

Schock

7/24/2013 Final Vote Results

FINAL VOTE RESULTS FOR ROLL CALL 412

Hidden

My Representative Rob Bishop voted against the National Security Administration spying. Thumbs up for Rob Bishop! Jim Matheson voted for the power to spy.

I am very disappointed that Michelle Bachman voted for this as well. I think she said they are not saving our phone calls and e-mails. She is mistaken.

My Representative Rob Bishop voted against the National Security Administration spying. Thumbs up for Rob Bishop! Jim Matheson voted for the power to spy.

I am very disappointed that Michelle Bachmann voted for this as well. I think she said they are not saving our phone calls and e-mails. She is mistaken.

I am very disappointed that Michelle Bachmann voted for this as well. I think she said they are not saving our phone calls and e-mails. She is mistaken.

Apologizing in advance, but anyone that voted for Jim Matheson is an idiot. :)

They need to repeal the Patriot Act. But it's not just spying for crimes, but as we have seen, this administration apparently has no issue with punishing political opponents through the tax system. Spying allows for targeting, so you may not be committing a crime but you may be audited for contributing to a cause the government doesn't like (all covertly of course)