Knitting/Crafting in Church?

yoyoteacher

My mother, who loves to quilt, sew, knit, crochet, and embroider, would never do any of those crafts on Sunday, let alone in church.  She would have considered it breaking the Sabbath.  Her teachings have rubbed off on me.

Not about Sacrament meeting...which I think is a different thing altogether...but concerning Sunday crafts. I think for many things it's black and white -- don't do it on Sunday at all. However, with some things, I think it's more about setting the day apart. If one never crocheted except on Sundays, it might be a way they set it apart. If one crocheted all the time...then perhaps leave off of it on Sundays. Of course, it depends on how much "work" said activity involves. Crocheting, embroidering by hand, etc., is different in my mind then sitting down at a sewing machine. Anyhow...just some further thoughts to stretch the thread and keep Palerider happy.

Not about Sacrament meeting...which I think is a different thing altogether...but concerning Sunday crafts. I think for many things it's black and white -- don't do it on Sunday at all. However, with some things, I think it's more about setting the day apart. If one never crocheted except on Sundays, it might be a way they set it apart. If one crocheted all the time...then perhaps leave off of it on Sundays. Of course, it depends on how much "work" said activity involves. Crocheting, embroidering by hand, etc., is different in my mind then sitting down at a sewing machine. Anyhow...just some further thoughts to stretch the thread and keep Palerider happy.

To me, there's also the factor of rarely crafting certain things for myself, and most are never for pay; therefore, that work is charitable, IMO.  I wouldn't fire up the lathe to make a product for sale on Sunday, but a gift, yes.

To me, there's also the factor of rarely crafting certain things for myself, and most are never for pay; therefore, that work is charitable, IMO.  I wouldn't fire up the lathe to make a product for sale on Sunday, but a gift, yes.

Yeah...see...to me, lathing is beyond what I'd consider appropriate for a Sunday activity (unless an ox is in the mire). ;)

• 3 years later...

So, historically, knitting and crochet were necessities, since machine-made knit fabrics were not available, and there is a very long tradition of service attached to the creation of these textiles. Often, in wartime, church leaders of many denominations would ask the women in their congregations to use sermon time to serve others by knitting bandages and socks and winter gear for soldiers and sailors. I often knit in work meetings and church meetings and feel comfortable doing so. It is definitely a reverent activity and the end results are always going to someone who needs it, be that a new  grandbaby or graduate or newlywed couple.

I’ve never had anyone complain to me about it, but I have had people come ask what I was working on, and we had a friendly visit about it. Maybe it’s a method of becoming “knit together in love”!

I'll admit to discreetly crocheting at church, even during sacrament meeting.  I keep it something small, like a scarf or a motif, so I can keep the skein of yarn in my purse and the work in my lap.  I do it rarely, only when I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety about being at church or my thoughts have been racing.  Crocheting helps keep my hands busy and actually allows me to focus deeper on the messages in those situations.  There have been maybe two experiences in the last six years where it may have been a distraction for someone else.  imho, it's less distracting than RLS or falling asleep.

As for doing it on Sundays, I try to either work on a gift/charitable project or a new stitch/technique, so I can develop skills that I can use to help further the kingdom. 

And I definitely crochet during General Conference!  Keeps me awake.

Guest MormonGator
38 minutes ago, seashmore said:

I'll admit to discreetly crocheting at church, even during sacrament meeting.  I keep it something small, like a scarf or a motif, so I can keep the skein of yarn in my purse and the work in my lap.  I do it rarely, only when I'm e xperiencing a lot of anxiety about being at church or my thoughts have been racing.  Crocheting helps keep my hands busy and actually allows me to focus deeper on the messages in those situations.  There have been maybe two experiences in the last six years where it may have been a distraction for someone else.  imho, it's less distracting than RLS or falling asleep.

As for doing it on Sundays, I try to either work on a gift/charitable project or a new stitch/technique, so I can develop skills that I can use to help further the kingdom. 

And I definitely crochet during General Conference!  Keeps me awake.

Playing with Silly Putty helped me stay awake as well. If it was up to me I'd set up a full soaping station so I could make my soap during sacrament meeting. 

1 hour ago, zil said:

Because your teeth are too white and you need to put on some weight?

Well either cookies and coffee or ..... couldn’t we yell out, or jump up and sway or something? On the other hand watching other people’s children dash around the chapel is quite jolly and diverting! How many of us spent the last sacrament service laying bets on whether that adorable child would manage to reach the stand? 

On 7/29/2018 at 9:09 PM, artemisia12 said:

So, historically, knitting and crochet were necessities, since machine-made knit fabrics were not available, and there is a very long tradition of service attached to the creation of these textiles. Often, in wartime, church leaders of many denominations would ask the women in their congregations to use sermon time to serve others by knitting bandages and socks and winter gear for soldiers and sailors. I often knit in work meetings and church meetings and feel comfortable doing so. It is definitely a reverent activity and the end results are always going to someone who needs it, be that a new  grandbaby or graduate or newlywed couple.

I’ve never had anyone complain to me about it, but I have had people come ask what I was working on, and we had a friendly visit about it. Maybe it’s a method of becoming “knit together in love”!

Welcome artemisia12!

I love "knit together in love!".  That's awesome!  My mom was big on crochet and cross-stitch until her arthritis got the better of her.  I was thinking of giving her something she can hang on her wall that says, "Our family is tight knit, stitch, crochet."  But I never got to making it!