I got called to Primary...yet again

carlimac

So we're here in our new (old) home near the nation's capitol for our year long assignment/adventure.Today was our 4th Sunday in our new ward and I have a calling...Primary teacher...again. It must be stamped on my forehead.

I love Primary and I feel very experienced as a teacher, having done it for years and years. I've had short stints in RS-teacher a couple of times but mostly committees or VT info gatherer or what have you. 

Thing is, I have five daughters and have never once been called to Young Women's.Today the Beehive adviser was released. That is something I long to do as I have a daughter ( soon two ) that age.  I have felt like I'd be the obvious choice for a YW leader of some kind, because of all my daughters, but it never happens. I always end up in Primary. I almost cried when I heard them release the Beehive adviser today after I had already been called  to be in Primary again. 

So I'm wondering if there are subtle traits YW leaders have that I simply don't have? It seems the presidency is always 1)beautiful-perfect make up and hair 2) trendy 3)funny and energetic 4)athletic.  And usually 40 or younger.  I'm none of the above.   

Actually, maybe rather than wanting to be a YW teacher, leader or even secretary, I just long to have traits that I don't have and probably, at this point in my life, never will. without those traits, I probably would not be a very good YW leader anyway.  Makes me sad. 

Are some of us being overlooked for certain callings because we don't look or act a certain way?

Edited by carlimac

1)beautiful-perfect make up and hair 2) trendy 3)funny and energetic 4)athletic.

Ha! I am none of these things, except funny, sometimes. 

Our YW leadership is a wide variety of ages and types of people. 

The YW president I had growing up had 6 sons and no daughters. 

I don't think there's a formula to crack. People are just called where they're called.

I have mostly served in primary/nursery for 7 years (only exceptions were short times between particular callings). I did get asked to serve as a YW leader, but it was not finalized due to, in part, my work schedule precluding me from being available Wednesday nights. I was very disappointed.

I can understand somewhat how you are feeling. In general, I love being in primary. I love the kids, and I love being able to move around. But, I do worry about my diminishing attention span (not that it was great to begin with). Sometimes, I do want out. But mostly, I try to remind that the Lord is mindful of where I need to be. I do not think there is anything wrong with you that keeps you from being in YW....I think it is just where the Lord wants you, for now,

I also think there is such a huge number of people needed in primary callings (at least 17 people, but often more if there are dual teachers and if you include Activity Day girls), that many will spend a lot of time in primary.

That probably does not help, but I wanted to empathize with you some. :)

I understand your frustration.  But I am sure that you would agree with me ==>>  there is no more important calling in the church than the Primary.

For me the issue is not that I love the kids, but I have the opportunity to teach them gospel principles, ON THEIR LEVEL, which are often missing in their homes.  My six year old grandson has a mother who is an unbeliever, but on a few occasions I have been able to take him to the Primary.  In those few visits he has gained a testimony of Jesus Christ and learned how to pray.  

One day he told me, "My mommy doesn't believe in Christ. But I do."

I was a substitute teacher for a class, and the lesson was on some event in church history.  But I took a few minutes to talk with the kids, and discovered some of them did not even know about the First Vision.  So we spent our time talking about Joseph Smith as  a prophet.

Edited by cdowis

I remember one person in my old ward telling me that they spent so many years in the Primary that they feel like they are in their own world separate from the adults. Our Bishop at the time also said that the most important callings are in the primary because they teach our children and establish that foundation.

As a father of 3 girls in primary I give thanks to all the teachers and leaders that teach my girls the basic gospel, it takes a whole village to raise a child.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I understand.  I love working with teenagers, and have had a couple opportunities, but would love more.  

I'm currently in Primary...which to be honest is not my favorite place.  I love the kids, but I do a lot better teaching teens or adults.  Fortunately, I teach with my husband, and he is great with kids.  They adore him.

I used to wonder why new people in a ward often get called to the primary....I wondered that until I became a Primary President.   I don't know if it is like this in every ward...but here's what happened to me.  Bishopric let us know that Sis. Smith the CTR 8 teacher was going to be released because she was getting another calling.

So as a Presidency we prayerfully considered names for a replacement and submitted them.  The Bishopric said, "These people already have callings."  

I thought, 'Sis Smith had a calling too!"  

Some new people moved into the ward and I asked for them since they didn't have callings.  I got them.  This happened several times.  

Another pattern I have noticed...at least in our ward...people newly baptized or reactivated (or people like me recovering from...how can I say this?  An emotional and spiritual breakdown) get called to teach Gospel Essentials, and then after sometime they are called to Primary.  At least that is the pattern for the couple who were teaching Gospel Essentials before me...we're all in Primary now.....and the couple teaching Gospel Essentials now are newly reactivated.  I expect we'll see them in Primary in a year or so.   I'm not complaining.  This is actually working out well for me.  I just think the patterns are interesting.

Here is my suggestion in teaching Primary.  I am an "adult teacher" so I have trouble filling in the time with a lesson.  The temptation is to do drawings, etc, but I found that I can actually teach TWO lessons in that time period.  

That's right.  I review last week's lesson before going on to the new lesson.  It fills up the lesson time, and takes less preparation.

Just an idea.

I know in my ward most new people get called to the primary. They are constantly struggling to fill the gaps as people move or get called to other things or released.

A calling to YW seems very desirable to most women. However having experience in working closely with a YW president they will typically choose advisers who they know personally or have been long time ward members. So I wouldn't read anything into it. Your new and new people get called to primary.

So I'm wondering if there are subtle traits YW leaders have that I simply don't have? It seems the presidency is always 1)beautiful-perfect make up and hair 2) trendy 3)funny and energetic 4)athletic.  And usually 40 or younger.  I'm none of the above.

I dont mean to sound vain but I think some young girls like to see and be around other beautiful ladies.

Earlier this year in sacrament the bishop announced the calling of

a young good looking married woman (no kids) that just moved into the ward, she got called into the young womans program, my 12 yr old daughter blurted out "YES!"

I thought I'd also mention that the YW president in my ward doesn't even have children (and is past the age of doing so).

My wife was raised in a single parent home and had a very strict LDS Old school country style mother that beat the crap out of her constantly at any sign of sin or appearance of sin. As a teenager she wanted to rebel against her mother and do all the bad things that her friends were doing, It was her young womans leader that loved her like a real mother and saved her from going down the wrong path in life.

Upon hearing this from my wife when we first got married I knew that if it wasnt for that young womans leader she would not have gone on her mission, which is how we met. This woman also sewed my wifes wedding dress for free when we got married. We were broke and had no money and were very thankful for her.

Now that we are in a better place financially (14yrs later) I am feeling inspired to track down her home address and send her some money.

Edited by priesthoodpower

I was in nursery/primary for almost 6 years.  Then we got to a new ward, and I thought for sure that I would be heading back to primary.  I had some serious health problems crop up that year, so it didn't happen.  I guess that they thought that if I was brave enough to survive that crisis, then I could handle being a RS teacher, which I gladly did for the last 7 months.

Moral of the story: if you don't want to work in primary anymore, just get a devastating, life-threatening illness.  :lol:

Except for a year as Ward Mission Leader, I've been in Primary for the last 8 years - over half my life as a convert.  But, this time, I'm in cub scouts - which is cool, because I get to attend RS on Sundays.

I've never held a YW calling.  Which is good.  I find teen women difficult to deal with and more often than not I just want to strangle the lot... :eek:

I was in nursery/primary for almost 6 years.  Then we got to a new ward, and I thought for sure that I would be heading back to primary.  I had some serious health problems crop up that year, so it didn't happen.  I guess that they thought that if I was brave enough to survive that crisis, then I could handle being a RS teacher, which I gladly did for the last 7 months.

Moral of the story: if you don't want to work in primary anymore, just get a devastating, life-threatening illness.  :lol:

No thanks. I'll take Primary teacher over that!  Hope you're all better.

Except for a year as Ward Mission Leader

As omega pointed out, you probably mean a ward missionary. The ward mission leader is a Melchizedek Priesthood holder.

I've never held a YW calling.  Which is good.  I find teen women difficult to deal with and more often than not I just want to strangle the lot...  :eek:

My YM callings waiting to come until I was past 40 and into my 50s. I am very glad for this, both for the young men and for myself.

You mean ward missionary right?

As omega pointed out, you probably mean a ward missionary. The ward mission leader is a Melchizedek Priesthood holder.

Oh yes!  Ward Missionary.  Sorry.

So... the young women have an activity planned in a couple weeks titled... Baby Making.  Give me Pinewood Derby over Baby Making anyday... and I can't stand Pinewood Derbys.