Favorite way to save money?

Sunday21

If you're going to be stopping in my neighborhood, give me a shout. 

Hey, Eowyn, I just drove past your neck-of-the-woods yesterday.  I thought of you.

A friend and I drove straight through from Kent, WA back to Utah.  It exhausted me.  I'm not cut out for these 14 to 15 hour drives with only stopping for gas/food and potty breaks anymore.  I'm getting too old for it.

Edited by classylady

Guest MormonGator

My wife and I have both bought different cars recently and even though we could buy more expensive cars it just pains us to spend it. So the cars we buy are generally priced on the low side.

Same with us.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Sales are only for things I've been intending to get.

Yes. I used to think a sale was an excuse to feed my shopping addiction. Then finances became tight, and I adjusted by going to the library....an arm load of books there is free (as long as I bring them back). :)

The past few years I've started to shop yard sales.  I have saved a lot of money, and I'm surprised at what I've been able to find.  I have also learned that just because it's a good bargain, doesn't mean I need to buy it.  I only buy items that I want/need.

I love to travel.  And that can add up to a lot of money.  Some people think that travel is frivolous.  For me, it is important!  Besides reading, it's about the only way I can put everything behind me and actually mentally and physically relax.  I start to go a little crazy if I can't get some travel time in on occasion.  Because, it's important to me, I have learned to save money just for my travel needs.

! love visiting the National Parks.  So, when the kids were young, we would do a lot of camping (which can be expensive if you're not careful), and visit the Parks.  I would carefully save money every month for our vacation/s for the year.  And, then I wouldn't touch that money.  It was only for travel.  Now that we're older I still try to get to a National Park or something similar once a year.  My husband is officially a Senior Citizen this year, so, we bought the Senior pass to the Parks.  That is going to save us a bucket load of money!

Our vacations changed drastically after I started working for a major airline.  Since our flights were free we started to travel internationally.  Most people would be uncomfortable with our tight budget when we travel.  We search for very inexpensive places to sleep.  And, we have even slept in airport waiting areas.  Most of the hotels in Europe offer breakfast.  So we would fill up on breakfast, have a few snacks like granola bars for lunch, and then go back to our hotel and make our own sandwiches for dinner.  It has been so much fun!

I've always loved saving money.  I get a thrill checking the savings account balance.

Some things I do/done:

1. One year, I wanted to save about $200 for going to a festival. I began saving all my $5 bills whenever I got one. I used cash more that year so I could get the bills. 

2. I buy quality items. I saved for 3 years to buy the furniture I wanted (and I used their 0% financing and made sure I paid it off before the end of the terms). I have found that I can spend $20 on shoes but have to replace them a lot sooner than if I spend $50 on shoes. 

3. I make sure to have part of my paycheck automatically put into retirement savings, IRA, and savings account. It's a lot easier to not spend it if you don't see it.

4. Wait for a sale. If I know I'm going to buy something, I wait for it to go on sale. Or buy second hand but again wait until I have it saved.

5. Pay off loans earlier. I'm not one of those that buy cars for really cheap.. So, I wait for a good deal and then make sure I pay off the car early. Of course, I also keep my cars for a long time. We have 2 cars now--one is 14 years old and one will be paid off a year and half early (paid off this week! yay!).

6. Rein in impulse buys. I have a favorite store where I buy clothes. I know that I cannot window shop in that store. So, I avoid it and only go into the store if I am there to buy clothes--and then I limit myself to what I'm there for and the clearance rack. Perhaps it's just me but sometimes I just want to go shopping--for anything. So, I allow myself to go to my normal stores to stock up on toilet paper or dish soap or some such. It satisfies my need to spend money and I'm getting things that don't expire and we will use.

7. Avoid eating out or limit it. Since I've been working out of my home, this has been a lot easier. If you think you don't spend that much eating out, then just track this expense for 1 month. I think you'd be surprised how quickly it adds up.

1. One year, I wanted to save about $200 for going to a festival. I began saving all my $5 bills whenever I got one. I used cash more that year so I could get the bills. 

I used to do that same thing. But now when you can pay for just about everything with a debit card, I rarely ever have cash on me.

Only buy top of the line stuff. It lasts longer, is fit for purpose, and there is pride of ownership.

Don't be the person who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Re: saving on bag lunches etc. I've tried to make enough $$$$ so that this sort of spending does not affect my lifestyle at all. I've largely succeeded.

The one thing I will NOT purchase 2nd hand is shoes.  I just can't bring myself to wear shoes that someone else has worn.

Most of my dress shoes are from Goodwill, but my everyday and running shoes are always bought new.

$170 Cole Haans for $6 and $90 Rockports for $5 are just too good to pass up when they're in excellent condition.

Most of my dress shoes are from Goodwill, but my everyday and running shoes are always bought new.

$170 Cole Haans for $6 and $90 Rockports for $5 are just too good to pass up when they're in excellent condition.

Good deal or not.  It's just a thing with me.  I can't get past the idea of putting my feet into shoes that had someone else's sweating/stinky feet.

By the first of the year I'll have finances in order that anything I make from my part time job will go right into savings.  That will be about $600+ a month.  

I'm on my 2nd day without Mt. Dew.  The $3 I save each day not buying it is going into a jar.  If I drink a Mt. Dew I have to take $3 out.  I'm hoping that watching it build up will be some motivation.  The money saved is designated as my "spending money" for my cruise in 2017.  Luckily someone else is paying for the cruise.  :)

By the first of the year I'll have finances in order that anything I make from my part time job will go right into savings.  That will be about $600+ a month.  

I'm on my 2nd day without Mt. Dew.  The $3 I save each day not buying it is going into a jar.  If I drink a Mt. Dew I have to take $3 out.  I'm hoping that watching it build up will be some motivation.  The money saved is designated as my "spending money" for my cruise in 2017.  Luckily someone else is paying for the cruise.   :)

You spend $3 for a Mt Dew??? Is the bottle made from precious metals?

We get soda when they are on sale only. Usually get 48 cans for $10. For me, those will last a few weeks.  

I'm trying to wrap my mind around it costing $3.  But, I applaud your way of motivating yourself to not buy it.  Very smart!

You spend $3 for a Mt Dew??? Is the bottle made from precious metals?

We get soda when they are on sale only. Usually get 48 cans for $10. For me, those will last a few weeks.  

I'm trying to wrap my mind around it costing $3.  But, I applaud your way of motivating yourself to not buy it.  Very smart!

2 1-ltr bottles cost $3 and that's on sale.   They normally average about $1.99 a bottle.   Unfortunately I drink way too much Mt. Dew.