Less Active Forum

omegaseamaster75

Why do you think that this forum is not very active in relation to other religious forums?

"Activity" isn't always a good thing. 

For example, Christian Forums.com is "active" in the sense that there are a lot of posters... including numerous trolls, anti-Mormons, and others who spam the boards with hateful and/or ignorant comments. 

There seem to be several LDS religious forums so the target population is somewhat split.

I would also hazard a guess that personality type demographics play a part. Generally Introverts (MBTI) seem to be more active online than extroverts, and as a guess, following with normal population demographics, there are more Extroverts.

Also we spend a large portion of our time interacting religiously/service etc in our free time, so there isn't quite as large a drive to interact online.

If I were to guess.

Edited by Crypto

I've expressed my opinion on it before. I find some of the active members to be very ridgid in response and makes it an unwelcoming place except for those with thick skin. I would assume that to be true in all forums but honestly feel I'm being shouted down here rather than just being allowed to express my opinion.

I haven't posted any of my own topics to seek help, but I find those who seek help have to weed through those same members who respond with little more than "obey the leaders".

Sometimes we need to open to sharing our experiences as much as sharing doctrine or scripture.

Why do you think that this forum is not very active in relation to other religious forums?

firstly probably number of registered users would be the first thing I'd look at. I'd imagine that you could probably find a good ratio of active vs inactive users that would be applicable to most places. We've only got a few thousand accounts listed or so, where as bigger sites tend to be much much larger.

people also tend to stay in certain areas or activities.

also the LDS religion answers a lot of questions in itself, as well as being more unified than christianity is in general.  To use a previous stated example, a big portion of christianforums.com is internal christian debate over about every aspect of christianity.

but ya I think there are times when some are too quick to assume someone is a troll or some such.

Edited by Blackmarch

I think believe Blackmarch is right. I think there a difference in comparing an LDS site to any Christian or site with a broader base. I come here looking to part of a community versus coming here to debate philosophies.

I had hoped to feel like a part of my ward when joining the forum.

Edited by pkstpaul

I've expressed my opinion on it before. I find some of the active members to be very rigid in response and makes it an unwelcoming place except for those with thick skin. I would assume that to be true in all forums but honestly feel I'm being shouted down here rather than just being allowed to express my opinion...

Sorry about that. I haven't been here all that long, but I hope I haven't shouted you down.  Have I?

I think believe Blackmarch is right. I think there a difference in comparing an LDS site to any Christian or site with a broader base. I come here looking to part of a community versus coming here to debate philosophies.

I had hoped to feel like a part of my ward when joining the forum.

What can some of us do differently here to help make that happen?

What can some of us do differently here to help make that happen?

While I do not exepect folks to not drive home points or not hold a line on doctrine, I think it is more helpful to relate to people on a personal level and teach from the heart and not from the Book.

And no, Hagoth, I don't believe you to be an "offender".  And I shouldn't use that word. I have admitted more than once that communication in this format is difficult and may lend to mis-interpretation. We (I) need to develop thick skin sometimes.