Why is marriage so important if Jesus didn't get married

Guest LiterateParakeet

Oh NightSG, I can't believe you went there (said with a smile). You're right though I think there would be tremendous pressure  eng married to someone who is not only perfect but knows your thoughts.

I'mopen to other ideas but for now my thought is that Christ was not married, in this life, because His particular mission did now allow for it. However as, we know this life is not the end...and so I believe He can and will  (or has?) receive that opportunity.

Some thoughts about Jesus being married   I am always interested in what people believe and why.  As a scientist and engineer very little of what I believe can be found directly in the Bible.  In fact there is nothing in the Bible that tells us what should be or should not be in the Bible or even that there ought to be a Bible.  Many assume that if something is in the bible it is true – if it is not in the Bible it is false?  If one was to sit in the home of just about any Christian as ask, “Please tell me the story of the birth of the baby Jesus?” 

The Bible has 20 verses that tell of the birth of Jesus and the lot of them can be completely read is a little over a minute.  Few Christians realize but most of what they think is details about the birth of Jesus are not Biblical – yet they say details and teach them as though they are true and from the Bible.  For example – Joseph was rejected after asking for shelter from staying in any Inns in Bethlehem because they were all full.  That Joseph was directed by an Inn keeper to a stable where he could find shelter.  Now that I have pointed out some Biblical inconsistencies to the usual nativity narrative some Christians may modify their story – but only when confronted with Bible in hand.

There are many statements in the Bible that prove he was married.  But skeptics that want desperately to believe something different will declare such proof inconclusive – they want more (actually they do not what any) and thus dismiss the proof like the man that stands in the full light of day and declares it night demanding that they be proven wrong.

There are a preponderance of ancient documents dating back to the first century BC that speak of the marriage of Christ and his wife.  Many of these documents date back to before any copies we have of any New Testament texts and during the lifetime of Apostles and writers that contributed to the documents that are currently defined as our New Testament.   For those that demand proof - If Jesus was not married why is there nothing in the Bible to prove he was not married?

But more – I would like to know why anyone would believe and purport that marriage is not of vital importance to G-d such that his Son would be commanded not to marry?  Why would someone think or believe such a thing?   I personally think the answer to reject the possibility of the marriage of Christ is in two parts – First they do not understand much of divine attributes of G-d (especially as directly associated to the Father) and two they do not understand much of the divine purpose of marriage – which could explain much confusion concerning what is marriage in our current interpretations of the law concerning marriage.

the Traveler

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

You're right though I think there would be tremendous pressure  eng married to someone who is not only perfect but knows your thoughts.

Yeah; she would have started throwing small appliances at me before the wedding, rather than just a couple months before the divorce.

4 hours ago, NightSG said:

Highly doubtful; what woman would want a man who really is always right and really can walk on water?

Besides:

"I have a headache."

"Not anymore."

I'd say a lot of women would love to not have to be the one who is always right.   That would be such a relief to be married to one who agrees with with them 100% of the time.  :D

2 minutes ago, bytebear said:

I hate when a thread goes on and I want to respond to page 1.

Anyway, I believe any record of Jesus being married or having children was suppressed by the later bishops of the early church so no one could stake a claim as a descendant of Christ.  I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue.

Does that also apply to why the record didn't get restored?

38 minutes ago, bytebear said:

I hate when a thread goes on and I want to respond to page 1.

Anyway, I believe any record of Jesus being married or having children was suppressed by the later bishops of the early church so no one could stake a claim as a descendant of Christ.  I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue.

I don't know about later bishops suppressing it,That's possible too, protecting any potential descendants (or anyone who the Jewish leadership thinks might be a descendant) of Christ is a good reason not to have such things written down where just anyone can get at them. 

6 minutes ago, kapikui said:

No, it wasn't restored because it's not necessary for our salvation.

Sure.  But the doctrine on Eternal Families was restored.  It is necessary for our exaltation.  One would think that as the restoration of the doctrine of Pre-mortal existence came with the restoration of new books it would make sense that the restoration of the doctrine of Eternal Families would restore Jesus's own marriage if he had one.

I tend towards thinking that Jesus was likely not married in His mortal ministry. But what does that have to do with anything or the importance of the principle of marriage or the eternities or the eternity of Jesus? There are plenty of righteous people who do not have the opportunity to marry. There are plenty of children who have died who have not had the opportunity to marry. And yet we know that all the promises will be given them. Are we really supposed to believe that those promises would be unavailable for Jesus to any degree? Ridiculous. If Jesus was or was not married in life, He will be. It's just that simple.

Guest MormonGator
44 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I tend towards thinking that Jesus was likely not married in His mortal ministry. But what does that have to do with anything or the importance of the principle of marriage or the eternities or the eternity of Jesus? There are plenty of righteous people who do not have the opportunity to marry. There are plenty of children who have died who have not had the opportunity to marry. And yet we know that all the promises will be given them. Are we really supposed to believe that those promises would be unavailable for Jesus to any degree? Ridiculous. If Jesus was or was not married in life, He will be. It's just that simple.

First thing FP and I have ever agreed on. Cathartic bro. Now we can share recipes and go fishing together. 

Edited by MormonGator

5 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

So, I'm thinking about this and my first thought was... Jesus is God before the earth was formed.  Right?  Or am I wrong on that?  Because, I'm thinking, if he is God, then he would have been already married.  Right?

37 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

So, I'm thinking about this and my first thought was... Jesus is God before the earth was formed.  Right?  Or am I wrong on that?  Because, I'm thinking, if he is God, then he would have been already married.  Right?

Don't think that's the qualifying factor for being God any more that having a body is, which we know the Holy Ghost is and does not, for example (also applicable to Jesus before this life).

As to what makes one a "God"...I'm not sure we have revelation to that end. Now being an eternal parent with eternal seed, etc...and thereby having a fulness or joy...that we know does require eternal marriage.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

16 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I tend to think he was married - because Jesus himself said marriage in the next life does not take place -only here during this life.  See Mark 12:25

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
10 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I disagree.

You are right. We both have another thing in common. We both think I'm wonderful. 

12 hours ago, anatess2 said:

This is an interesting idea Anatess. From my perspective this isn't how it would be though, but I am as fallible as the next person - I'm just pointing out why I believe otherwise. We do sealings by proxy because just like Baptism this act requires a physical body. Therefore I don't believe that an eternally binding union could be performed in the premortal state. Thus the soonest Christ would have been married is in mortality to my understanding.

6 minutes ago, SpiritDragon said:

This is an interesting idea Anatess. From my perspective this isn't how it would be though, but I am as fallible as the next person - I'm just pointing out why I believe otherwise. We do sealings by proxy because just like Baptism this act requires a physical body. Therefore I don't believe that an eternally binding union could be performed in the premortal state. Thus the soonest Christ would have been married is in mortality to my understanding.

But then, the idea that what man is, God once was can be interpreted to mean they've been through their period of progression from the level we are now.  Whether that was through mortality or some other execution of a Plan of Happiness, I believe that to be exalted, let alone to be God, requires an eternal companion - in the same way that we believe there is a Heavenly Mother.

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I tend to think he was married - because Jesus himself said marriage in the next life does not take place -only here during this life.  See Mark 12:25

The Traveler

Which proves nothing, as we well know that there will be many, many who die without marriage and will be given the opportunity. Our best understanding at this point is that these things will be taken care of in the Millennium. I'll admit it sounds a bit odd, the idea of doing work for the dead for the Savior, but if one is to speculate on things that we have no idea about whatsoever, then that's as fine a speculation as any.

23 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

But then, the idea that what man is, God once was can be interpreted to mean they've been through their period of progression from the level we are now.  Whether that was through mortality or some other execution of a Plan of Happiness, I believe that to be exalted, let alone to be God, requires an eternal companion - in the same way that we believe there is a Heavenly Mother.

You can believe it all you want...but it's still wrong.

Edit: I forgot to add the emoticons to show the intention to sound playful...so....

;):D:P

Edited by The Folk Prophet