Utah Mormon problems

Backroads

9 hours ago, MrShorty said:

tesuji's response reminded me of the problem of finding the right building.

"We're looking for the Smith's baby blessing." "Do you know what ward or building?" "The 242nd ward." "This is the 142nd ward. The 242nd ward meets a block down on the NW corner of the intersection. Be sure to get the right building, because the SE corner of that intersection is the 342nd ward."

You are killing me!

10 hours ago, tesuji said:

I now live a block from the meetinghouse.

Yeah, we're late every week :P

When we purchased our home, we were pleased it was kitty-corner from a church. We mistakenly assumed that was our ward building and that we'd never have to try to be on time again. No, not the newer lovely church surrounded by pretty trees.

Which were torn to pieces in last week's tornado, so perhaps we're good traveling a block.

Edited by Backroads

5 hours ago, bytebear said:

When my mom moved into a new house, a friend remarked, "Oh, how nice, the chapel is right behind your house (literally, the parking lot fence was her back yard fence.  "Oh, no, that's not my ward building.  Mine is down the street."

You guys are killing me! For some reason, almost wherever I have lived, the chapel is always in the back-of-beyond. Okay in Ottawa it was 5 blocks away, on Kimball & Cumorah. We must have had a member in the city planning department or maybe Moroni wandered by and named the street in his wanderings. 

On 9/28/2016 at 0:41 PM, anatess2 said:

I betcha you walk to your Stake Center too.  Poor me have to drive 45 minutes...

50 minutes from here, and of course the chapel is on the other side of town and uphill from me; nearly a 20 minute bike ride, but I can be home in a bit over 12 minutes.

For a town that's a hair under 12 square miles, it seems Baptist is more practical; there are at least 7 assorted Baptist churches here.  Only two Methodist and two CoC.  Rumor has it there's a second AoG one tucked in somewhere, and of course, there are assorted non-denominational ones on various levels of come-as-you-are to try-to-at-least-pretend-it's-a-real-church.

13 minutes ago, NightSG said:

50 minutes from here, and of course the chapel is on the other side of town and uphill from me; nearly a 20 minute bike ride, but I can be home in a bit over 12 minutes.

For a town that's a hair under 12 square miles, it seems Baptist is more practical; there are at least 7 assorted Baptist churches here.  Only two Methodist and two CoC.  Rumor has it there's a second AoG one tucked in somewhere, and of course, there are assorted non-denominational ones on various levels of come-as-you-are to try-to-at-least-pretend-it's-a-real-church.

At least the temple is only 2 1/2 hours...

8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

At least the temple is only 2 1/2 hours...

Another perfect example of a Utah Mormon problem -- choice overload paralysis. If we give ourselves 2.5 hours, we can choose one of at least half a dozen (or more) temples to attend. It can be overwhelming to have so many choices.

Kind of like when you go into Baskin Robbins or the BYU Creamery or the Aggie Ice Cream store (the worst I've been to is the Tillamook Creamery in Tillamook OR, but that's not in Utah) and have to choose what flavor ice cream you want.

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I did get a rather amusing talk from my bishop on American culture before sending me off to work in the us temple. 'Now remember it's another culture and they tend to react more strongly than we do up here' true! 

That's just cuz we don't have to expend so much energy thawing out first. :crackup:

Where we used to live it was a 12 hour trip to the temple. The monthly stake temple trips involved getting on the bus at 6:00 pm Friday, travelling 12 hours, arriving at 6:00 am Saturday, spending 6 hours in the temple, getting back on the bus at 12:00 pm Saturday afternoon and arriving back at the chapel at midnight Saturday night. When we moved to where we live now we rejoiced that the temple was only 3 hours away. We stopped rejoicing about a year later when the church announced that they were building a temple only 20 minutes from where we used to live. 

22 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Where we used to live it was a 12 hour trip to the temple. The monthly stake temple trips involved getting on the bus at 6:00 pm Friday, travelling 12 hours, arriving at 6:00 am Saturday, spending 6 hours in the temple, getting back on the bus at 12:00 pm Saturday afternoon and arriving back at the chapel at midnight Saturday night. When we moved to where we live now we rejoiced that the temple was only 3 hours away. We stopped rejoicing about a year later when the church announced that they were building a temple only 20 minutes from where we used to live. 

Maybe you should test this sequence by moving again... :P

11 minutes ago, zil said:

Maybe you should test this sequence by moving again... :P

Nah, I think I'll just build my own. With funding crowd-sourced from the members of mormonhub.com. That way I get to choose the location and design. 

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

Oh brother! Isn't that the way!

6 hours ago, NightSG said:

One per soul?

Cheeky! 1.8 million but I see your point. Most of the country is empty. You should see Manitoba (up north of North Dakota). Hardly any one in the entire province. One big wilderness. Never, never drive across Manitoba. Deadly. Not a person to be seen.

• pam unfeatured this topic