Mormons and Halloween

pam

30 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Two things I do not understand about Halloween and Mormons:
#1. Why do so many LDS ladies choose to dress up as ladies of low moral character?
#2. Why do so many LDS men choose to dress up like ladies?

#1 - because the natural man is always with us, and (especially young and hormone ridden) folks will occasionally desire to exploit loopholes, even though denial may be at work.

#2 - Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.  (Actually, I have no clue here - never did it, never really wanted to.)

39 minutes ago, Traveler said:

#2. Why do so many LDS men choose to dress up like ladies?

11 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

#2 - Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.  (Actually, I have no clue here - never did it, never really wanted to.)

I still can't figure out why LDS women choose to dress up like ladies.  (In my version of heaven, the robes will go out the window to be replaced by white denim (jeans) and over-size long-sleeve t-shirts (unless it's cold, then sweatshirts).  And there will be no high-heel shoes in sight.  Maybe white slippers for those who don't like barefoot.) ;)

Edited by zil

7 hours ago, zil said:

Idiotic, immature males, and solicitors who can't read (from across the street) do it often enough that I'm really good at ignoring people at my door. :) 

I'm really good at getting people who don't want to open their door, to open their door.  ;)

My friends know to tell me beforehand if they're coming.

That's why I told you I was coming over on the 31st...

5 hours ago, bytebear said:

No masks and no candles.  And just like the booties at Temple tours, there are deep theological implications. Or maybe it's just practical.  One of the two.

Wait, no candles, what!? My jack-o-lantern plans have been foiled!

(But seriously, no candles? What!?)

17 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I agree with @pam that satanic is out.

That still leaves a broad argument over what that would be.  There are those that say I embrace Satanism at Halloween.  They are also known collectively as idiots.

Don't beat around the bush.  Just give us your honest opinion.

19 hours ago, zil said:

I still can't figure out why LDS women choose to dress up like ladies.  (In my version of heaven, the robes will go out the window to be replaced by white denim (jeans) and over-size long-sleeve t-shirts (unless it's cold, then sweatshirts).  And there will be no high-heel shoes in sight.  Maybe white slippers for those who don't like barefoot.) ;)

Are you kidding.  I'd love to wear a robe all the time.  The freedom of movement...

4 minutes ago, zil said:

Feel free.  I'm sticking with my white Levi's.

How do you do stretches and high kicks and roundhouses and stuff?  My jeans always grip at the wrong points on every joint restricting my movement.

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

How do you do stretches and high kicks and roundhouses and stuff?  My jeans always grip at the wrong points on every joint restricting my movement.

Maybe I don't have the wrong points...  Further, did you never watch Walker, TexasCorny Ranger?  He seemed to having no problem roundhousing in denim...  Further, in recent meteorological news, they've discovered that more than half the tornadoes that pass through Texas are started by Chuck Norris' roundhouse kicks.

54 minutes ago, zil said:

Maybe I don't have the wrong points...  Further, did you never watch Walker, TexasCorny Ranger?  He seemed to having no problem roundhousing in denim...  Further, in recent meteorological news, they've discovered that more than half the tornadoes that pass through Texas are started by Chuck Norris' roundhouse kicks.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/apparel/century-kicking-jeans-blue

Chuck Norris actually had his own brand similar to these at the time, though I'm sure the ones he wore on the show were tailored.

Guest MormonGator
On October 4, 2016 at 10:00 PM, NeedleinA said:

Dressing like a pregnant nun

In my Catholic high school we had a strict dress code but we were allowed to dress up for halloween. Once I went as a public school kid in my normal clothes. They sent me home to change, but I since I lived about 45 minutes away I just stayed home and played video games all day. The next day I blamed it on my car. 

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

We had a friend who used to do a theme costume Halloween party every year.  She picked a theme I didn't like, so I dressed up instead as a narcotics detective...you know, t-shirt and Levi's.

I dressed in jeans, a Marilyn Manson t-shirt, wallet chain and everything. Before first period even started I was called into the principals office because I wasn't dressed "in costume". I started to protest but figured my N64 was more interesting so I just said to heck with it.  

On 10/6/2016 at 6:42 AM, zil said:

No lit candles in the church.  It's more (or entirely) for safety, insurance, and financial concerns than theological.

And pretty much only in US. Any 3rd world place with rolling blackouts will have candles for lighting during power outages. 

On 10/5/2016 at 0:44 AM, bytebear said:

I love that a local ward does Trunk or Treat, a great variation on traditional trick or treating.   I still love getting trick or treaters, but now I live on a cul-de-sac which is off a main road, and for the past 4 years, I have gotten zero trick or treaters. In my 20s I loved going to big clubs or street parties. I even won second place in a costume contest once.   But those days are long gone.  Decorations have now gone more harvest/fall than spooky/scary. 

We have a trunk or treat, which I really enjoy. I'd rather not have a bunch of people coming to the house (this curmudgeon thing is really becoming a life style...), but I love seeing the kids at church. I never heard of this custom before I joined the Church, but I think it's a lot of fun.