Will Men In The Church Be Upset If Women Held The Priesthood?

miztrniceguy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i wanted to get on the bandwagon.

Men: as a Priesthood holder, would you be upset if the Prophet said God had revealed to him that all worthy members, male or female. would be allowed to hold the Priesthood?

Nope, but I wouldn't hold your breath. That would make women vastly superior to us men, and they would no longer have any use for us...:)

<div class='quotemain'>

Men: as a Priesthood holder, would you be upset if the Prophet said God had revealed to him that all worthy members, male or female. would be allowed to hold the Priesthood?

Nope, but I wouldn't hold your breath. That would make women vastly superior to us men, and they would no longer have any use for us...:)

Bandwagon huh? ;)

Isaac, Do you really think it is the PH, which keeps men on a level playing field?

I need my husband; he is the testosterone and my estrogen filled life. He is the yin for my yang or visa versa. He helps to keep me balanced and it doesn't have anything to do with the priesthood ;)

P.S. I know this question was for men... I just couldn't help myself :)

We already are vastly superior to you men. You go right ahead and carry a child inside your body and then give birth to said child. If men had that capability there would be far fewer children in the world because men can not tolerate pain like women can. Men can in no way multi task with the skill, accuracy and speed that women do naturally. There is no way Man alone will enter into the Celestial Kingdom - he HAS to be sealed to his wife.

In my opinion if man are not walking in tandem with their wife then they are not in a righteous union.

<div class='quotemain'>

We already are vastly superior to you men. You go right ahead and carry a child inside your body and then give birth to said child. If men had that capability there would be far fewer children in the world because men can not tolerate pain like women can. Men can in no way multi task with the skill, accuracy and speed that women do naturally. There is no way Man alone will enter into the Celestial Kingdom - he HAS to be sealed to his wife.

In my opinion if man are not walking in tandem with their wife then they are not in a righteous union.

Ummm, yeah...that was a joke...lighten up! Are they in tandem or are women vastly superior...which is it?

I would see it as a major step forward for the LDS Church, not unlike 1978 and 1890.

Gosh, I'd even be proud of ya.

<div class='quotemain'>

I would see it as a major step forward for the LDS Church, not unlike 1978 and 1890.

Gosh, I'd even be proud of ya.

I think that women would do an excellent job! I'm all for allowing them to hold the priesthood.

<div class='quotemain'>

And here is the underlying problem, isn't it? Women are superior to men, or at least I hear this crap rolled out every once in a while. 'If men had to give birth, the species would have died off' like women have done something so wonderful that only they can do. Give me a flippin' break! As for tolerating pain: men, how often have you cut yourself badly while working on the car, playing a sport, working on the house, etc., sucked on it a little so that you wouldn't get blood everywhere and then gone on with what you were doing? How many women can do that? I have 3 girls, all of whom I did the 'manly' things with, and they were out of commission. Period. So don't throw that old feminist crap out as if it were fact. Because it ain't.

As for multi-tasking, yes, men do a wonderful job of that. We are forced to in our jobs.

If God wants it, who am I to disagree.

I guess that same idea can be used with everything. What if God wanted to Call President Bush as a Prophet? or make Alaska tropical rain forest. (both very unlikely)If God wants it to happen, I can disagree all i want, but it's gonna happen whether I'm teachable about it or not.

And here is the underlying problem, isn't it? Women are superior to men, or at least I hear this crap rolled out every once in a while. 'If men had to give birth, the species would have died off' like women have done something so wonderful that only they can do. Give me a flippin' break! As for tolerating pain: men, how often have you cut yourself badly while working on the car, playing a sport, working on the house, etc., sucked on it a little so that you wouldn't get blood everywhere and then gone on with what you were doing? How many women can do that?

GAIA:

Blood? Women can't stand blood, and men can? You're kidding, right?

Men were the ones who came up with Menstrual taboos and the notion that blood is dangerous and "unclean". (I have lots more on that, if anyone is interested)

So don't throw that old feminist crap out as if it were fact. Because it ain't.

GAIA:

Geez, Are you always so angry, or is it just this topic?

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Bandwagon huh? ;)

Isaac, Do you really think it is the PH, which keeps men on a level playing field?

I need my husband; he is the testosterone and my estrogen filled life. He is the yin for my yang or visa versa. He helps to keep me balanced and it doesn't have anything to do with the priesthood ;)

P.S. I know this question was for men... I just couldn't help myself :)

Good heck, can't anyone take a joke? I have said on this in other threads that "God gave men the priesthood, so that women would have use for them." It's a joke, meaning that men, compaired to women are pretty dang useless...which is not true...it just a joke...Thats what the little smiley face at the end of the sentence means! You know? HAHA?

I think six's irritation is justified.

This is the old pendulum phenomenon in one of its strongest manifestations.

Women don't have the priesthood. (one extreme)

Well women can have kids which men can't so women are superior to men. (other extreme)

Well men could handle the pain if they had to so that's a stupid argument. (other extreme)

And so on, ad nauseum.

Look, men could handle the pain of childbirth. Not all women go "natural." Ever hear of epidurals? Yeah, exactly.

How pain thresholds have anything to do with superiority or inferiority is beyond me. An elephant can take a grazing hit from an "elephant gun" and be okay, but humans would have a fist-sized (if not plate-sized) hole in their side.

So I guess elephants are superior to humans. :rolleyes:

Men and women are different. Deal with it. Both are incomplete without the other. Deal with it. Both aren't meant to fill the same roles. Deal with it.

p.s. I'm not defining "roles" as necessarily having anything to do with holding priesthood. My point was merely that women are meant to be mothers, men are meant to be fathers, and both have skills and abilities which allow them to fill their parental role in a complementary fashion.

I think at some point in the future, the Church wide collective consciousness will be raised to the point where a revelation will open up the Priesthood to LDS women.

Even though we are poky we will plug away like the Aesop's turtle and run the race.

<div class='quotemain'>

I think at some point in the future, the Church wide collective consciousness will be raised to the point where a revelation will open up the Priesthood to LDS women.

Even though we are poky we will plug away like the Aesop's turtle and run the race.

if you think this will happen.....I say bring it on......I am tired of being called as a Bishop....let more people have a chance...... :)

GAIA:

Blood? Women can't stand blood, and men can? You're kidding, right?

So don't throw that old feminist crap out as if it were fact. Because it ain't.

GAIA:

Geez, Are you always so angry, or is it just this topic?

1) Never said that women can't stand blood. What I said was the men can, and do so regularly, so your argument that we weak stupid men couldn't handle the pain is ridiculous.

2), I get frustrated and irritated by supposedly 'faithful' people that question what the prophets have stated. It is easy to cherry pick what you want and don't want to believe. I believe it is called 'cafeteria style membership'. I like the WoW, but that women not holding the PH thing, I don't want that. I like the BoM, but my Bishop is frequently an idiot so I don't want to listen to him. I get frustrated with supposedly 'faithful' members that question every little thing to pick it apart, not out of curiousity or to grow, but to prove that it is foolish and that they are right and the old men in SLC are not living up to what Brother Joseph said. Funny, that attitude. They seem to forget that Joseph himself stated that those that say that the church leaders are 'out of the way' are on the high road to apostasy.

You seem to act like if only Joseph were still around you'd be happier. Here is what the Savior said about that type of attitude:

29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,

30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.

31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.

32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.

33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

(Matthew 23:29 - 33)

If you can't accept what Pres Hinckley says, you wouldn't have accepted Joseph.

Christ states it as such.

There is no way Man alone will enter into the Celestial Kingdom - he HAS to be sealed to his wife.

Or wives....LOL! Which brings up a couple questions...how many husbands can be sealed to a woman?

I know, I know!

Just one, uno, 1!

Actually that's not true...if a woman has passed on and was not a member of the church and she had been married to 3 different men during her life she will be sealed to each of them in the Temple...but she can only accept one of those sealings in the S.W.

Now....how many wives can a man have sealed to him?

I Know....

I know....

I know.....

As many as he can!

If the Prophet said it...I would make an appointment with the Bishop for my wife!

I have no idea whether it will happen or not but I'd be completely fine with it.

Just to be clear - when Christ himself called his own 12 disciples - how many women did he call?

We could be asking the question: 'Will Men In The Church Be Upset If The Lord Declared Through The First Presidency That Television Is Hereby Outlawed and Those Who Watch Can Get No Temple Recommend?'

I bet this would be more difficult for the brethren of the Church to abide than ordinations of women to Priesthood office.

Still, the faithful would throw out their T.V.s and the rest would go on in their wicked ways. I hope I would possess the self control to follow the LORD's command. Although the idea would come out of as much obscurity as women holding Priesthood office, the faithful would heed the command.

Again, what the brethren think would be beside the point. If it is the LORD's will, it must be done.

When we compare this issue to Blacks ordained to Priesthood offices there is one major difference. The availability of Priesthood offices to black men was foretold. We always knew it would happen, we only didn't know when. We have nothing to look at to say that women will one day act as Priests and perform baptisms.

Further, a man cannot be exalted in the presence of God without holding the Priesthood. He cannot enter into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage and be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise without it. If women need the very same ordination before being so sealed to their husbands, then we have a lot of women to ordain before we can get anyone into exaltation.

In my opinion, the exalted Preistesses in the presence of God, sealed to their eternal husbands will not have any necessity to be ordained to the office of Elder or High Priest or even to the Priesthood at all in order to claim the authority, privileges, and rights associated with their Priestess status.

-a-train

To be honest I have not been upset then the priesthood was given to men I knew to be complete idiots and morons – why would I be upset if an intelligent, loving and kind lady was given the priesthood. To be honest, it is not my priesthood so I do not get to determine such things and I have great respect for the one that provides us with that priesthood.

The Traveler

Actually that's not true...if a woman has passed on and was not a member of the church and she had been married to 3 different men during her life she will be sealed to each of them in the Temple...but she can only accept one of those sealings in the S.W.

Where is it written where only one sealing can be accepted? I'm genuinely curious. I have heard this most of my 'church' life; but I'm starting to think it is scripture of the order "I never said it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it" -- that sort.

If I am worthy, obedient, and I have the opportunity to be sealed to more than one man -- then the Lord will be bound by His word. He will not remove me from my covenants; I have to right to claim them if I am obedient.

Further, a man cannot be exalted in the presence of God without holding the Priesthood. He cannot enter into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage and be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise without it. If women need the very same ordination before being so sealed to their husbands, then we have a lot of women to ordain before we can get anyone into exaltation.

In my opinion, the exalted Preistesses in the presence of God, sealed to their eternal husbands will not have any necessity to be ordained to the office of Elder or High Priest or even to the Priesthood at all in order to claim the authority, privileges, and rights associated with their Priestess status.

-a-train

I don't think I've ever heard this articulated before, especially the first paragraph here that I quoted. This is very, very true. In short! I DON'T NEED ORDINATION on EARTH for my PRIESTHOOD POWER.

By the way, I am full of priesthood power. I am aware that I receive it from my priesthood covenants, and yes, in connection with my husband (who is, btw, on the other side of the veil at the moment). This priesthood power is how I govern my children and it is how I accomplish the mission I was sent to earth for by my Father in heaven and it is how I am walking the path towards santification.

What I am free from is the possibilty of being a bishop -- as Palerider so nicely pointed out. Or, if there would come a day when a woman might be called to that office (I personally don't see it for a variety of reasons) -- I think we could do it without an ordination, if I take a-trains comments into consideration.

Ah! Eternity!

But I appreciate all the comments from the men. I feel loved, lol. :)

If I am worthy, obedient, and I have the opportunity to be sealed to more than one man -- then the Lord will be bound by His word. He will not remove me from my covenants; I have to right to claim them if I am obedient.

False. If you were sealed to your husband who passed away (sorry, by the way), ask your bishop and stake pres. if you can get sealed to another man. Won't happen. Not all baptisms for the dead will be honored any more than all sealings for the dead will be. It all depends on what those on the other side of the veil choose to accept or reject.

As this thread and some others have shown, it is easy for people to cling to false doctrine. I get more and more of an understanding as to why the great apostasy occured. People with their own opinions, clinging to them even in the face of overwhelming evidence it isn't that way. And Peter and the apostles didn't have the luxury of TV or Satellite to try and keep it in check. Only letters and visits, and we see how well that worked (and still works).

People will take certain particles of something someone said, dissect it to the atom level, claim that is what they really meant, and then base their testimony upon that, which probably was never the intent of the original speaker. Kind of a 'define "is"' moment for most, I'd presume.

And then those that claim that they honor the past apostles and prophets because they 'got it', but that the current 'administration' (what the heck?! :huh: ) is hiding this, or is ignorant of it. No, they wouldn't have believed the past apostles and prophets either, just as I posted elsewhere. Christ himself said as much.

Unless, of course, he too was trying to mislead you...

six, man, you rock.

I ain't talkin' about regular 'ole rockin'...I'm talkin' a fifty foot advertisement with neon lights that point to you and say, "He rocks." B)

Couldn't have said it better myself. :rockon:

edit: I just went and saw your comment on my "gnosis" joke...guess we're both in the head-bangin' mood tonight. :lol: