12 yr old testimony drama

NeuroTypical

4 hours ago, Mormonheart said:

I love irony and pointy remarks, but I feel this as out of place because there is no connection between Savannah's case and the quote from the Book of Mormon.

1) Both spouted apostate doctrines expecting others to believe them.
2) Both said that the leaders of the Church were misguided and spoke not the truth.
3) Both wanted people to come to their false way of thinking.
4) Both were stopped from speaking by God-fearing people.

Yeah, I guess you're right.  No similarities at all.

5 hours ago, Mormonheart said:

Where has Savannah sinned? Because she was a lesbian? Because they did it in a testimony meeting? And thus something critical has said?

The world is not just white or black. It is colorful. There are not only heterosexual people, not just people who follow stubborn rules, no matter if they are good or bad (in Germany, we've gained more than enough experience)!

I do not know if Savannah and / or her parents are still members of the Church. I think they are no longer. But I hope they have not been excommunicated, because such people need the Church! People who say what they think. People who are free in themselves, and question things to come to a better understanding of the Gospel. This is my opinion in any case.

At 12 years old Savannah is as capable of sin as everyone else.  Has she fornicated yet?  at 12 that seems unlikely.  But she got shut down because she declared her intent to do so and people like you are supporting her declared intent to break the Law of Chasity.  God's laws do not change just because someone thinks they are stubborn rules, or people wish justify their own sins by calling evil good and good evil.  The Kingdom of God has its rules you can not change them or break them to suit your own desires... You can only break (Or change) yourself (or a 12 year old girl) against them.

Edited by estradling75

A testimony meeting has only one purpose: sharing one's own feelings and experiences with the gospel, and their teachings. Correct?

No.

Fast and Testimony meeting exists to testify of the Truthfulness of the Gospel.  Not whatever feelings and experiences.  

What Savannah did was exactly the purpose.

No.  She used it to advocating her looking forward to sining (specifically being in a same sex relationship).  It would be likewise wrong for someone to proclaim over the podium that they look forward to stealing or arson.  

I have seen a frightened but brave girl, excited, because of the testimony, anxiously looking at the reactions of the mostly bored listeners (the body language has betrayed it), and hurt and sad when the microphone was turned off.

Yes she is sad because she's not allowed to do whatever she wants (advocate for sinning over the podium).  Her being sad doesn't make the Stake President the bad guy and her the hero.  

Children, like all people in the Church, want to be loved and accepted. They want to be accepted as they are. Savannah is possibly lesbian. So what?

She, herself, IS accepted.  Advocating for sin over the podium is not. 

Where has Savannah sinned? Because she was a lesbian? Because they did it in a testimony meeting? And thus something critical has said?

She acted wrongly in using the podium to advocate for sin (aka proclaiming how she looks forward to being in a same sex relationship).

5 hours ago, Mormonheart said:

As I have been critical of our church since December last year, I note that I no longer want to be a member of the Church. That is why, on Monday, a month ago, I had written a letter to my bishop asking for my resignation from the church. Today a letter from the church (from my bishop) has come. It says that I was excommunicated for spreading false doctrines.
To my reasons, which I called him, he did not answer.
So now I am officially no longer a member of the Church. I'm sure my Account will be blocked here.

If you have left the Church and put it behind you, why did you choose to join an LDS forum?

And no, you don't get kicked out of this forum for being ex-LDS.  Just do note the forum rules which you agreed to abide by when you signed up.  

One problem we face in our society is that the morally corrupt think they are right and demand rights that allow their immorality to be supported and upheld in all facets of both the public and private communities. Corrupt lawyers and judges allow these immoral people to force their views on others and pass laws to force acceptance of these immoral practices. And so it becomes normalized in society. Its sad because there is coming a great day of judgment and burning upon the earth and many on the earth shall burn.

Guest MormonGator
44 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

One problem we face in our society is that the morally corrupt think they are right and demand rights that allow their immorality to be supported and upheld in all facets of both the public and private communities. Corrupt lawyers and judges allow these immoral people to force their views on others and pass laws to force acceptance of these immoral practices. And so it becomes normalized in society. Its sad because there is coming a great day of judgment and burning upon the earth and many on the earth shall burn.

I love how cheery and optimistic you are. 

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

Yep, cant wait till righteousness will prevail on the earth and all wickedness be done away.

You ever read Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne? 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
31 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

Why?

Read it and find out. 

Usually people who take glee in the judgement of the righteous and the wicked are unable to see their own pride and sinful behavior. After all, there are only so many hours in the day and looking at the sins of others doesn't give you time to examine your own conscience. Hope you aren't one of those people. 

Edited by MormonGator

6 hours ago, Mormonheart said:

A testimony meeting has only one purpose: sharing one's own feelings and experiences with the gospel, and their teachings. Correct?

No, Mormonheart, you are not correct.  "sharing feelings and experiences with the gospel" is NOT the purpose of a testimony meeting.   You have an incorrect understanding of the purpose of testimony meetings.  Perhaps your misunderstanding lays at the root of all your opinions about this topic.

The purpose of a testimony meeting, is to bear a testimony.  A testimony is not "feelings and experiences with the gospel"
https://www.lds.org/topics/testimony?lang=eng

A testimony is a spiritual witness given by the Holy Ghost. The foundation of a testimony is the knowledge that Heavenly Father lives and loves His children; that Jesus Christ lives, that He is the Son of God, and that He carried out the infinite Atonement; that Joseph Smith is the prophet of God who was called to restore the gospel; that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Savior's true Church on the earth; and that the Church is led by a living prophet today. With this foundation, a testimony grows to include all principles of the gospel.

Can you understand the difference now, Mormonheart?  If you're not talking about the reality and divinity of God, if you're not talking about gospel principles, then you are not sharing a testimony.  If you want to talk about things other than these things in a testimony meeting, you do not want to bear your testimony, and you should not go to the microphone. 

Can you understand this, Mormonheart?

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Read it and find out. 

Usually people who take glee in the judgement of the righteous and the wicked are unable to see their own pride and sinful behavior. After all, there are only so many hours in the day and looking at the sins of others doesn't give you time to examine your own conscience. Hope you aren't one of those people. 

Seeing the results of immoral behavior destroying society and we all should be decrying it publicly and warning the world. Yes, it is the right thing to do to say wrong is wrong and shout it from the rooftops.

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

Seeing the results of immoral behavior destroying society and we all should be decrying it publicly and warning the world. Yes, it is the right thing to do to say wrong is wrong and shout it from the rooftops.

Hopefully God will show more mercy on @Rob Osborn than what @Rob Osborn has for the rest of us.

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Rob Osborn said:

Hopefully we can get to a point where the saints can separate from the world and truly see the wickedness for what it truly is.

You obviously fail to comprehend that you are part of humanity that you seem to despise.  That, or you think you are better than everyone else and not subject to the same failings and weaknesses that we all are. 

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

You obviously fail to comprehend that you are part of humanity that you seem to despise.  That, or you think you are better than everyone else and not subject to the same failings and weaknesses that we all are. 

All I am doing is saying something is immoral. Do you think its alright?

7 minutes ago, Vort said:

It's not often that I agree with Rob over Gator. Must be something in the Seattle air today. Cascade Mountains high or something.

I heard that Seattle's capital region is still smelling like urine and excrement because a lawmaker thought it was racially insensitive to hose down the sidewalks.  It must be that stench.

2 hours ago, zil said:

Do you suppose in 12 years we'll be talking about the 12-year-old 12-year-old drama?

I think we'll do what we do when we did what we did back then.

• pam unfeatured this topic