Waiting Period When First Wed Civilly

clbent04

Why do couples have to wait a year to be sealed in the temple if they were first wed civilly?

The Mormon Church believes in the idea of marriage for time and all eternity.  This is made possible through a temple marriage or sealing ordinance performed in a Mormon temple.

Church rules state that you have to wait a year to be sealed in the temple if you choose to first get married civilly outside of the temple.

Why is this?  Is it a question of worthiness?  Not necessarily.  You can live by all the standards of the Church and still be penalized in having to wait a year to be sealed in the temple if you first marry civilly.

Why can you not just get married civilly after you first have the temple sealing ordinance performed within the temple?  Does it have to do with complications of the marriage certificate being issued twice?  Can you not request that the sealing be performed without the issuance of a marriage license?  This seems like it should be an option but the Church does not allow it.  

16 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

Why do couples have to wait a year to be sealed in the temple if they were first wed civilly?

Because God through his appointed leaders said so...  So back at you.   Do you believe that the Church is currently lead by a Prophet of God?

If your answer is yes... then exercise some Faith that God knows what he is doing.  If the answer is no then you know what you need to work in.

Either way the answer to your questions (and all the other questions you have posted) require you as an individual to get on your knees and pray.

Because we on this forum can give our various opinions, but that will only cause you to confirm what you want to hear and ignore what you do not

Of course it's always perilous to posit reasons for policies that the Church may not have fully explained via official channels.  That said:  some years ago during a discussion on this topic in these forums, I composed a rant/screed/diatribe that still outlines my thinking on the matter fairly well.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

37 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

This was a question I had years ago. I prayed, fasted, and pondered about this and other things that were causing me to question the administration of The Church.  Now I know the answer. Receiving this answer required prayer, pondering, humility, and fasting. As you search for and receive this answer for yourself you will likely receive answers for other church policies that could be questionable to the understanding of our natural mind.

It would be a mistake to view this policy as punitive. You must know that it is never the mission of The Church, or our Heavenly Father, to harm or hold us back in anyway! The eternal efficacy of Temple ordinance is dependent on obedience to an eternal order established for the "benifit" of man-an order that we are trying to understand by attending the Temple.  How can we dictate to The Lord how these ordinances should be conducted when we are at the begining stages of learning about the Temple?

2 minutes ago, CharleyRey said:

This was a question I had years ago. I prayed, fasted, and pondered about this and other things that were causing me to question the administration of The Church.  Now I know the answer. Receiving this answer required prayer, pondering, humility, and fasting. As you search for and receive this answer for yourself you will likely receive answers for other church policies that could be questionable to the understanding of our natural mind.

It would be a mistake to view this policy as punitive. You must know that it is never the mission of The Church, or our Heavenly Father, to harm or hold us back in anyway! The eternal efficacy of Temple ordinance is dependent on obedience to an eternal order established for the "benifit" of man-an order that we are trying to understand by attending the Temple.  How can we dictate to The Lord how these ordinances should be conducted when we are at the begining stages of learning about the Temple?

Love this. Thank you for your comment.

6 minutes ago, zil said:

Generally, they must wait a full year after baptism before they can receive their endowment and be sealed.  Any given individual may need more time to learn and prepare.  IMO, one should not be in a big rush as there is much to learn and do in preparation.

Just questions, that's all.  I don't know what an endowment is except for what I read on wikipedia, is that accurate?

15 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Just questions, that's all.  I don't know what an endowment is except for what I read on wikipedia, is that accurate?

I'm reluctant to go see what's on wikipedia - they would have no respect for the sacred nature of temple ordinances and may well discuss things which ought not be discussed outside the temple.  Perhaps another poster here is less reluctant...  I would recommend the resources linked here:

https://www.lds.org/topics/endowment?lang=eng

This: https://www.lds.org/church/temples/frequently-asked-questions?lang=eng&_r=1 and https://www.lds.org/church/temples/why-we-build-temples/what-happens-in-temples?lang=eng&_r=1 and http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Endowment ...are nice short summaries for one who doesn't want to get bogged down in days of reading...

11 hours ago, clbent04 said:

The Mormon Church believes in the idea of marriage for time and all eternity.  This is made possible through a temple marriage or sealing ordinance performed in a Mormon temple.

Church rules state that you have to wait a year to be sealed in the temple if you choose to first get married civilly outside of the temple.

Why is this?  Is it a question of worthiness?  Not necessarily.  You can live by all the standards of the Church and still be penalized in having to wait a year to be sealed in the temple if you first marry civilly.

Why can you not just get married civilly after you first have the temple sealing ordinance performed within the temple?  Does it have to do with complications of the marriage certificate being issued twice?  Can you not request that the sealing be performed without the issuance of a marriage license?  This seems like it should be an option but the Church does not allow it.  

From what I've seen, every policy of the Church is the result of unintended bad outcomes having occurred in the administration of the kingdom and local leaders bringing these issues and questions to the attention of the general level.

29 minutes ago, zil said:

I'm reluctant to go see what's on wikipedia - they would have no respect for the sacred nature of temple ordinances and may well discuss things which ought not be discussed outside the temple.  Perhaps another poster here is less reluctant...  I would recommend the resources linked here:

https://www.lds.org/topics/endowment?lang=eng

This: https://www.lds.org/church/temples/frequently-asked-questions?lang=eng&_r=1 and https://www.lds.org/church/temples/why-we-build-temples/what-happens-in-temples?lang=eng&_r=1 and http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Endowment ...are nice short summaries for one who doesn't want to get bogged down in days of reading...

Thank you very much.

12 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Of course it's always perilous to posit reasons for policies that the Church may not have fully explained via official channels.  That said:  some years ago during a discussion on this topic in these forums, I composed a rant/screed/diatribe that still outlines my thinking on the matter fairly well.  

Interesting post.  I am swayed by your rant.:D

It took me a while, but I think I figured out what you meant here.  For some reason, the parallel structure wasn't being parallel in my head.

On 10/1/2012 at 1:57 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

But the difference between an orthodox and a liberal Mormon is that the former tries to change the practice to fit the doctrine; the latter tries to change the doctrine to fit the practice.

Yup.  That's about right.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:54 PM, clbent04 said:

Just want to point out that this is only applicable to the US and other countries where temple marriages are recognized as legally binding.  In other countries such as the UK where temple marriages are not legally binding, you first have to get civilly married to fulfill legalities then you go get a temple marriage.  No waiting period necessary.

So, that there gives you a clue on why you have to wait a year... because, if the temple wedding was available to you and you didn't avail of it, then waiting a year to make sure you understand the ordinance and is prepared to make those covenants becomes necessary.

On 8/6/2017 at 7:16 PM, estradling75 said:

Because God through his appointed leaders said so...  So back at you.   Do you believe that the Church is currently lead by a Prophet of God?

If your answer is yes... then exercise some Faith that God knows what he is doing.  If the answer is no then you know what you need to work in.

Either way the answer to your questions (and all the other questions you have posted) require you as an individual to get on your knees and pray.

Because we on this forum can give our various opinions, but that will only cause you to confirm what you want to hear and ignore what you do not

I think the issue is based on where is your priority.  Who do you put first in your life?  God or man?  Also, waiting a year serves as a safeguard for those who may not be ready to take on additional accountability.  A temple marriage provides some special blessings but with those blessings comes an added measure of accountability to following the Lord’s commandments.