Top ten wards where MormonGator should go be bishop up in at

NeuroTypical

12 minutes ago, Grunt said:

The church keeps a "personnel file"?  What type of things are in it?

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly known as the Mormons, a membership record contains a church member's name, date of birth, unique membership number and a list of temple ordinances he has received, such as baptism. Both local churches and LDS Church Headquarters (CHQ) keep copies of membership records.

14 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Thanks!  My imagination led me to "on March 3rd, Grunt was caught sipping gin behind the air conditioner after sacrament".  Your answer makes more sense.

Let's put it this way, it is much less complete than your military record or even a resume would have.

Name, DOB, Date of baptism and other ordinances, when you were ordained to the priesthood and what office of the priesthood (Deacon, teacher, priest, elder...).  It also has the names of your household if they are members.  And your most recent contact information.

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

If you've been convicted of a serious felony like abuse of a minor, that shows up on your permanent record too.  This keeps roving predators from moving around finding new victims.  You can be a repentant sinner with a criminal past in this church, but don't expect to be placed in the Young Men's organization if you've got a record as a pedophile.    In all my years in various clerk roles, I've never seen an annotation like that, I just know it's possible.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

If you've been convicted of a serious felony like abuse of a minor, that shows up on your permanent record too.  This keeps roving predators from moving around finding new victims.  You can be a repentant sinner with a criminal past in this church, but don't expect to be placed in the Young Men's organization if you've got a record as a pedophile.    In all my years in various clerk roles, I've never seen an annotation like that, I just know it's possible.

The church is absolutely right to do this too (I know you aren't saying otherwise @NeuroTypical!). Forgiveness is a good thing, and you should be welcomed back to the flock after you've repented-but the personal safety of everyone else, especially kids, trumps you being forgiven. 

Yep.  Bishops are all about helping folks come closer to God, and they're also all about protecting their flock.   Imagine if you had been molested by someone and they did time, and years later you find out they're Elders Quorum president or something.  Victims like that deserve protection.  That's why we have this annotation process on an otherwise bland and boring membership record system.

It's also worth noting that membership records, no matter how exciting or boring, are absolutely confidential.  Available to the member, the bishopric, membership clerk, and that's about it.   If you sign up to lds.org, you can get like a ward directory with addresses and phone numbers, but that's it.  If you have a calling in like primary or something, you can get a birthday list.  Oh - and you can also restrict the information made available on your own record.  I know one member had death threats against him a few decades ago - all our roles and phone lists and whatnot list him as "private".

The church is very good about both protecting privacy, and protecting it's members from potential predators.

Edited by NeuroTypical

2 hours ago, Grunt said:

Nothing much. Height. Weight. Body mass index. Ring size. Home teaching record. Number of times you cried at testimony meeting. Notably stupid comments made during Sunday School. For men, whether you fall asleep during quorum meeting. You know, the usual stuff.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Notably stupid comments made during Sunday School.

If they kept track of that, we'd need four warehouses to view your records pal. 

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

Don't tell him, but we get live feed from his smartphone.

I am so, so sorry for you.

2 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Siri doesn't even tell him.

Typical conversation with my smartphone:

"Siri, what is the average density of Europa?"
"My name is Cortana, you moron."

Guest MormonGator
38 minutes ago, Vort said:

You speak much more truth than you know.

I was just playing. Anyone who reads even three of your posts would know that "stupid" is the LAST thing people could call you. 

I'd love it if gator was called to be the first branch president on a cold airless asteroid orbiting out passed Jupiter - ideally out of radio range. Perhaps someone in the Quorum of the Twelve can start talking with NASA. Such a calling would be of great benefit to the entire earth  No life support system would be needed.

Edited by askandanswer

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

I'd love it if gator was called to be the first branch president on a cold airless asteroid orbiting out passed Jupiter - ideally out of radio range. Perhaps someone in the Quorum of the Twelve can start talking with NASA. Such a calling would be of great benefit to the entire earth  No life support system would be needed.

The first thing I would do as  branch president is assign you to the most backwards, sinful, rudimentary, dark and evil place possible.  

Oh! Wait. You are already from Australia. My bad. 

Edited by MormonGator

10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Let's put it this way, it is much less complete than your military record or even a resume would have.

Name, DOB, Date of baptism and other ordinances, when you were ordained to the priesthood and what office of the priesthood (Deacon, teacher, priest, elder...).  It also has the names of your household if they are members.  And your most recent contact information.

It does not list your callings. I found this out when I was being called to work in the temple. They had me list all my callings.

20 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

It does not list your callings. I found this out when I was being called to work in the temple. They had me list all my callings.

It lists your current callings, if everyone has done their jobs right.  Except for temple workers - for some reason, those callings are not listed - presumably because they're not ward or stake callings.

32 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I didn't think I said that. But apparently zil says it does.

37 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I didn't think I said that. But apparently zil says it does.

No I did not think you said this.

The omission of this info from the record just struck me as a little surprising as we are a record keeping people. 

But shrug. I still have not been released from a stake calling that I held some years ago.

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

If "they" are the temple presidency (or someone related to the temple), as opposed to your ward or stake leadership, then they wouldn't have rights to see your membership record, so they have to ask.  Given your last post above, if it was your ward or stake leadership, I'd guess they asked because they know full well the records aren't well kept in your area...

5 hours ago, askandanswer said:

There, fixed that for you.

6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

The first thing I would do as  branch president is assign you to the most backwards, sinful, rudimentary, dark and evil place possible.  

Oh! Wait. You are already from Australia. My bad. 

The First Presidency assigned me to come here a few years ago. Now that I've done such a great job making things so much better than they were before they are now talking about sending me to a much worse assignment - to gator land with a special focus on practitioners of polygamy 

9 hours ago, Grunt said:

If he takes over my ward I'll give up processed ham and get baptized.

No no. He is an alligator not a pig! Eat the ham! It is the belts and boots that you must give up!

Oh hang on..incoming news. Yes you have to give up the ham. Apparently his parentage is mixed.

Edited by Sunday21

12 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

No I did not think you said this.

The omission of this info from the record just struck me as a little surprising as we are a record keeping people. 

But shrug. I still have not been released from a stake calling that I held some years ago.

A missionary told me that his father had served a 40 year mission.  I was intrigued as to how that was possible.  I don't believe even Ammon served that long.

He said that his father had served a faithful 2 year mission, came home, college, marriage, kids... At some point his stake president came to him and said he'd received some interesting news.  Somewhere in Church records they did keep a record of the beginning of his mission.  But they never had an end date.  There was no record of him every having been released as a missionary.

He told the stake president,"Well, I hope it's ok that I dated and married an eternal companion and had X children and Y grandchildren." :)