TV shows in the last 5-10 years

pam

Okay I need your help.  I'm taking my kids and their significant others on a road trip next month.  I've been planning this for months.  One thing I want to do on the road is to play a "Name that tv show" using theme songs from tv shows.  I'm adding these songs to my Spotify account.

Of course I know lots of shows from many years ago...but everyone going with me is mid to late 20's so I want to have some more modern tv theme songs.  Unfortunately I am not a tv watcher so I don't have a clue what shows have been popular on tv or even some of the netflix shows.

I need some suggestions. 

HELP!!!  Start naming some tv shows that have been popular in the last 5-10 years.

Glee, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, the Office, Doctor Who, Psych, Suits - I'm not sure exactly how old or popular most of these are, and am not sure all of them have theme songs that would work for your purposes, but they're what I can think of off the top of my head. And have had multi-season runs, so that's a good sign, right?

Edited by SilentOne

34 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

Glee, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, the Office, Doctor Who, Psych, Suits - I'm not sure exactly how old or popular most of these are, and am not sure all of them have theme songs that would work for your purposes, but they're what I can think of off the top of my head. And have had multi-season runs, so that's a good sign, right?

You can't mention The Office without Parks & Recreation

Edited by Grunt

Friends (in case you thought not to use it--it has resurged with my generation)/ 

Law and Order: SVU (again, not necessarily new, but very popular)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine 

Prison Break

Designated Survivor

How I Met Your Mother

Modern Family 

Criminal Minds 

New Girl

(No idea if some of this have actual tv theme songs--just know they're popular) 

Just for kicks (and bonus points) you should definitely have some classics from previous eras. Even 20 somethings might surprise you by recognizing theme music from shows such as:

Little House on the Prairie

Magnum PI

Perry Mason

Matlock

The Waltons

McGyver

How the Grinch Stole Christmas :D everyone  should be able to recognize a bunch of Whos singing their Christmas song.

The Flintstones and the Jetsons might give themselves away too easily unless you can find versions without voices, just music.

Think of shows your kids watched at home when they were little, perhaps they'll not only remember the theme songs but conjure up other happy memories of growing up in the ginger bread house.

As far as newish stuff is concerned, I can't really offer you much besides what's been said, I haven't had a TV provider in ten years.

4 hours ago, SilentOne said:

I don't think Supernatural has a theme song.

M.

2 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Just for kicks (and bonus points) you should definitely have some classics from previous eras. Even 20 somethings might surprise you by recognizing theme music from shows such as:

Little House on the Prairie

Magnum PI

Perry Mason

Matlock

The Waltons

McGyver

How the Grinch Stole Christmas :D everyone  should be able to recognize a bunch of Whos singing their Christmas song.

The Flintstones and the Jetsons might give themselves away too easily unless you can find versions without voices, just music.

Think of shows your kids watched at home when they were little, perhaps they'll not only remember the theme songs but conjure up other happy memories of growing up in the ginger bread house.

As far as newish stuff is concerned, I can't really offer you much besides what's been said, I haven't had a TV provider in ten years.

I have lots of the older classics.  Which are my favorites of course.  I needed something more modern so they could also play.

I'm surprised the three NCIS shows didn't make the list. There's NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, and NCIS: New Orleans.

Don't forget CSI, CSI: Miami, and CSI: New York. Each of those shows used songs from The Who.

Maybe think about adding music from movies, too. Granted, most of my movie music is Star Trek, Star Wars (the original trilogy), and Indiana Jones, but I have some. I don't have much modern movie music, either.

I'm surprised Disney Channel shows weren't mentioned, which have a lot of theme songs. The shows I have theme music for aren't on the channel anymore, but maybe they know them. I have Hannah Montana, Sonny With a Chance, Shake It Up, and maybe others I can't remember. There's also That's So Raven and Raven's Home, one of which just started this year.

Oh, I remembered Castle. Granted the theme is brief, but there is one.

Anyway, I'll end for now.

Edited by Jeremy A

Jeremy started listing some of the ones I thought of from what I've heard my kids talk about.

CSI is a big one.  NCIS is another.  These are HUGE. 

Person of Interest.  Continuum.  Criminal Minds.

Agents of Shield.

If they are teenies, the CW shows are good ones...Arrow, the Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl.

If they watch more morally dubious shows, Game of Thrones would be one, Narcs (I think that's what one of my coworkers was talking about, not positive about the show name).  The Expanse, Killjoys. The new Battlestar Galactica.

If older than teens they may recognize these from their youth...or younger years...

Batman: Brave and the Bold, Smallville, Avengers: Earth's mightiest heroes, Justice League Unlimited.

Macguyver is back in vogue (So both the old theme and the new one).

The A-Team movie theme is very similar to the Old A-Team show theme.

Edited by JohnsonJones

11 hours ago, Fether said:

Phinease and Ferb

Yay!  Phineas and Ferb is a show that has at least one original song per episode, done in just about every musical genre known to man.  The musicians with the gig are named Bowling for Soup, and they did a stellar job for that show.   Nominated for a Grammy in 2003, but they celebrate that night for winning Time's "worst dressed".

Here - have all gazillion songs.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Phineas_and_Ferb_songs

14 hours ago, Grunt said:

You can't mention The Office without Parks & Recreation

Parks & Recreation is probably the only comedy on TV I am willing to watch.  It is so much better than trendy nonsense like The Office and the hideously oversexualized Big Bang Theory that it is not funny!  

As a general rule, I don't like watching TV very much, but I wind up seeing some TV because my wife really likes watching TV.  I wind up sitting next to her and listening to music or reading a book a lot in the late evenings.

I think the only two fictional TV shows over the last ten years that I have actually enjoyed are Parks & Recreation and Fringe.  I guess King of the Hill also counts, since it went off the air in 2009 or something.  

I also like watching some nonfiction TV shows, stuff like Locked Up Abroad and Storm Chasers (although, when I get into periodic moods where I want to watch tornado footage, which happens on a semi-weekly basis, I found that Youtube is even better for that purpose.  I have always been fascinated by storm chasing).