Oxford Stabby-Stabby Girl Spared Jail

Jamie123

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/25/oxford-student-judge-suggested-bright-prison-spared-jail-stabbing/

I'm not sure what to think about this. I know we want our brightest and best in important jobs like heart surgery, and I know top schools like Oxford put a lot of pressure on kids, making some of them turn to drugs. It's very sad for her and I don't totally blame the judge for wanting to be lenient.

But to spare her jail in order to save her medical career is crazy: if med school is too hard for her to handle without taking drugs and getting stabby-stabby with the bread knife whenever someone cares enough to try to stop her, she probably shouldn't be there.

And sorry though I am for her, I really don't want her operating on my heart, thank you very much.

Her parents have something to answer for as well: not content with having a very bright daughter, they wanted to have a very very bright daughter and (I suspect) pushed her too hard.

Edited by Jamie123
It was heart surgery, not brain surgery.

She stabbed him with a BREAD KNIFE.  A BREAD KNIFE.  Seriously...A BREAD KNIFE?  The boyfriend was, well, things I shouldn't say anyways.  If I were her Boyfriend, I'd have admitted to just about anything in regards to it, but saying that he was stabbed by his crazy drugged out girlfriend with a BREAD KNIFE.  It was a stab wound too...not sawing it back and forth...back and forth...in order to cut anything...but a STABBING...with a BREAD KNIFE.  I can't even cut the Italian bread all the way through easily with the bread knives supplied at Italian restuarants(though admittedly, the Italian bread seems to bend down right at the base of the crust so you have an excessively hard time cutting it at that point).

He's never going to live that down.  He should have just said he suffered an accident and had a piece of metal stab into his leg or something (so not the whole truth, but enough to get the doctors to help him).

But, since she's now charged...I think the bigger question wasn't about medical school, but the accusations many are making that it is due to her class/wealth and privilege more than anything else.  It may well be.

It doesn't sound like she is in the specialty phase yet, still in medical school itself.  I'd say if she completes it, the best she may have would be a general practitioner.  Despite the skill she's shown with blunt toothed instruments...it sounds like the cut itself was rather sloppy and ragged, so not exactly what they would be looking for.  Plus her choice of surgical tools for the unexpected operation was probably a poor choice on her part.  It's questionable whether she is even going to be allowed to continue medical school at this point (they say it's under consideration but they have rules for occasions like this).  I don't think she's going to be accepted into being a surgeon, or anything beyond general practitioner even if she DOES get to continue in medical schooling.

That said, I probably wouldn't want her as a heart surgeon either.  Off or on drugs, she doesn't seem to be the type to be able to keep a steady enough attitude to guarantee an ideal where she won't have a rise of emotion and do something stupid while I'm under the knife.  I'd hate to be sitting there without a heart and all...(or worse, with a bread knife sticking out like a monument in the middle of it).

PS: Sorry for the slight humor...it may be a tad off...but...a BREAD KNIFE...I mean, really...it was a BREAD KNIFE!

Edited by JohnsonJones

How is this wrong? Let me count the ways.

Well, no, actually, we would be here all day. Suffice it to say that this judge has formalized the idea that smart people are, quite literally, above the law. Truly unbelievable. Such a justice is fit for no bar appointment of any sort, except perhaps a Supreme Court nomination under Obama.

In the US, there is a belief that UK and European courts are entirely too coddling, dismissing the evils suffered by victims of crime and leaving malefactors unpunished. This sort of story only furthers that belief, which may in fact be true.

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

She stabbed him with a BREAD KNIFE.  A BREAD KNIFE.  Seriously...A BREAD KNIFE?

The article says she stabbed him while under the influence of drugs and alcohol. You might want to ask @mirkwood about the threat level involved if she was unarmed and ratchet it up for a weapon of any sort. @NeuroTypical has some good stories too, if I recall correctly.

8 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/25/oxford-student-judge-suggested-bright-prison-spared-jail-stabbing/

I'm not sure what to think about this. I know we want our brightest and best in important jobs like heart surgery, and I know top schools like Oxford put a lot of pressure on kids, making some of them turn to drugs. It's very sad for her and I don't totally blame the judge for wanting to be lenient.

But to spare her jail in order to save her medical career is crazy: if med school is too hard for her to handle without taking drugs and getting stabby-stabby with the bread knife whenever someone cares enough to try to stop her, she probably shouldn't be there.

And sorry though I am for her, I really don't want her operating on my heart, thank you very much.

Her parents have something to answer for as well: not content with having a very bright daughter, they wanted to have a very very bright daughter and (I suspect) pushed her too hard.

Are we to assume from this that the UK has an assault culture? Or is this viewed as an aberration that deserves lots of outrage?

3 minutes ago, zil said:

How can that possibly be?  They took away everyone's guns, and once you've done that, everyone suddenly turns all peaceful and passive-like.

Because they do'n't know the immense power of the fountain pen!  And the bread knife for that matter.  

We humans don't get it. 

Providing just consequences is a good thing.  Helps us have things like communities and safety and whatnot.
Extending mercy is a good thing.  Helps individuals recover from mistakes and keep us on the right track and whatnot.

When we should do which one, and who gets to decide, and why they pick - it gets so dang muddy so fast, well, God keeps us from going extinct with our sinful agendas and hypocritical double-standards and clueless destructive good intentions.

I've never attacked anyone with a bread knife, but I do have a few "there but for the grace of God go I" things in my life.  I've also helped send a guy to prison for 5-life, while giving another guy a pass.  I look forward to the day when the Lord shows up and makes us knock all this stuff off.  God's perfect blend of justice and mercy?  I'm looking forward to seeing what that looks like.  Because I rarely see it here on earth with the humans.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've never attacked anyone with a bread knife\

You conveniently left out that time you stabbed a man with a switchblade during your bar fight years. 

Edited by MormonGator

Will do :)

I think our last referendum about becoming a republic and firing the queen was in the late 1990s. The campaign for a republic was led by the man who is now Prime Minister before he became a Member of Parliament. The republican issue is now pretty low on the agenda but everyone accepts it will become a major issue when the current queen is no longer on the job, either through death or abdication.