Kicked out of all scouting events

Darroll casey

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, Darroll casey said:

I am a parent of 2 cub scouts. I have volunteered ever since my oldest was a tiger. He is now a bear, I applied to be an assistant den leader. Well the committee chair said I was approved. Then I never his the fact that I served 7 years for selling drugs 13 years ago. Well got a letter in mail. Saying I can not have any involement in any scouting activities. Cent even attend meetings. Now I get drug tested several times a year for my job. Which I have had for years. My troubled past was before I even had kids. All the parents in the den trust me and except my past for what it is. That was my only major crime on my record. And I completed treatment and rehab. I am not too happy with the the scouts right now.. 

So, have you had a cub scout position for the past 2 and a half years?  If so, it is a little odd that it would suddenly happen now.  Normally, a background check is done on the first application and then after that they have the volunteer history for you.  It seems odd that you would pass it the first time around and then suddenly fail it the second time around.

Did someone have an ax to grind with you or something as this seems very out of the ordinary?  If this happened, then that's life I suppose and that's what happens.  You can still be an involved parent with the cub scouts however...so, that's something that is still good.

3 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I usually can’t tell at first glance what a tattoo is supposed to be—and I never look too long, lest I be accused of staring/gawking.

I have never understood people who get facial tattoos or dye their hair bright pink or poke pins through their cheeks, and then get all "offended" if anyone stares at them. They just have to pretend that they didn't discolor or otherwise mutilate themselves to get people to look at them. Just a pure and unaffected example of self-expression. Nothing more.

Uh-huh.

On 11/19/2017 at 7:01 PM, Darroll casey said:

I am a parent of 2 cub scouts. I have volunteered ever since my oldest was a tiger. He is now a bear, I applied to be an assistant den leader. Well the committee chair said I was approved. Then I never his the fact that I served 7 years for selling drugs 13 years ago. Well got a letter in mail. Saying I can not have any involement in any scouting activities. Cent even attend meetings. Now I get drug tested several times a year for my job. Which I have had for years. My troubled past was before I even had kids. All the parents in the den trust me and except my past for what it is. That was my only major crime on my record. And I completed treatment and rehab. I am not too happy with the the scouts right now.. 

Have you looked into having the drug offense expunged? If it is eligible for expungement, it would be worth the time and money, as that is going to stick to you like glue and affect volunteering for your kids activities, employment, even housing, until you die.

6 hours ago, Vort said:

I have never understood people who get facial tattoos or dye their hair bright pink or poke pins through their cheeks, and then get all "offended" if anyone stares at them. They just have to pretend that they didn't discolor or otherwise mutilate themselves to get people to look at them. Just a pure and unaffected example of self-expression. Nothing more.

Uh-huh.

It's not that they don't want to be stared at, it's that they don't want to be stared at by you. :P

8 hours ago, Vort said:

Uh-huh.

Specifically to derail this thread... a-hem...

This is somewhat like a woman dressing very provocatively and then getting mad when someone eyes her.

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Specifically to derail this thread... a-hem...

This is somewhat like a woman dressing very provocatively and then getting mad when someone eyes her.

Again, she's only gonna get mad when the wrong person eyes her.  The right person eyes her, and she's not gonna get mad.  If you're not certain you're the right person, you're the wrong person.  If you're certain you're the right person, it's still possible you're the wrong person. :lol:

Guest MormonGator
9 hours ago, Vort said:

Uh-huh.

Most people with those modifications don't care if you stare at them. They are getting so common that people staring are the exception rather than the rule. 

20 minutes ago, zil said:

Again, she's only gonna get mad when the wrong person eyes her.  The right person eyes her, and she's not gonna get mad.  If you're not certain you're the right person, you're the wrong person.  If you're certain you're the right person, it's still possible you're the wrong person. :lol:

So, if you're the right person, you may still be the wrong, right person.  And conversely, if you're the wrong person, you could be the right, wrong person.  As long as you're right, you're ok even if you're wrong.  And the right, right person is ok to go.

Thus, Who's on first.

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

So, if you're the right person, you may still be the wrong, right person.  And conversely, if you're the wrong person, you could be the right, wrong person.  As long as you're right, you're ok even if you're wrong.  And the right, right person is ok to go.

Thus, Who's on first.

This must be why men and women don't understand each other.  I thought my post was perfectly clear.  Yours just went and unnecessarily complicated matters. ;)

11 minutes ago, zil said:

This must be why men and women don't understand each other.  I thought my post was perfectly clear.  Yours just went and unnecessarily complicated matters. ;)

That's my job.

I stare at my neighbor's tattoo everytime I see her. I had to explain to her it's because she has leaf tattoos and I have this love of leaf imagery. I love her tattoo.

I did it again Sunday when we both found ourselves in the foyer with kids. She laughed and asked if I were staring at her tattoo or her baby.

Don't have cool tattoos if you don't want me looking!

46 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I stare at my neighbor's tattoo everytime I see her. I had to explain to her it's because she has leaf tattoos and I have this love of leaf imagery. I love her tattoo.

Used to work with a woman who had a tattoo of a leather band on her arm.  (Apparently the tooling on the leather was copied from a belt her grandmother had worn.)  The shading was perfect; even from just a couple feet away it looked like the real thing.  Amazing 3D effect.  She once asked me if she even needed to wear a shirt to work, or if I'd still just keep staring at the tattoo.

I'd have had to check out the rest of the view, but I'm still not sure where my eyes would have ended up after the initial tour.

Before we moved into our current ward, there was a lady with purple hair.  She seemed so nice and happy.  It was just an oddity.  We forgot her name and just called here the "Purple Hair Lady."  It wasn't derogatory.  We thought she was fantastic.  But we just couldn't remember her name.

Now that we've moved into the ward, we know her and she is a beloved friend of the family.  She's generally the woman that everyone can depend upon to get a job done.  They are also a homeschooling family.  Our kids play together.  I'm going into a business arrangement with her husband soon (hoping and praying for this to work out).  

She has gone through purple, green, orange, and now a fairly normal shade of brunette.  She's actually quite gray or even silver haired naturally.  But we still sometimes lovingly refer to her as "Purple Hair lady."

Edited by Guest

On 11/19/2017 at 7:01 PM, Darroll casey said:

Darroll, you can appeal this with the BSA.  Even if they tell you that you can't, you can.  Get in contact with the executive director for your scout council and discuss this with him.

Guest MormonGator

I was thinking about this on Thanksgiving. We had a friend who posted some Scout stuff on FB. Are the Scouts really in a position to kick someone out? You've got a guy who wants to help them. At this point it would be like Sears turning away someone who actually wants to shop there. 

45 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I was thinking about this on Thanksgiving. We had a friend who posted some Scout stuff on FB. Are the Scouts really in a position to kick someone out? You've got a guy who wants to help them. At this point it would be like Sears turning away someone who actually wants to shop there. 

From what the OP described, it is a little different.  They don't appear to have kicked the scout out of scouts, but the volunteer.  It would be more akin to a hospital allowing a patient there, and allowing their parent to visit, but not to be a volunteer, or who is a volunteer but deciding that the individual can no longer be a volunteer for the hospital (you can replace hospital for any other non-profit organization...etc...etc...etc..).

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

From what the OP described, it is a little different.  They don't appear to have kicked the scout out of scouts, but the volunteer.  It would be more akin to a hospital allowing a patient there, and allowing their parent to visit, but not to be a volunteer, or who is a volunteer but deciding that the individual can no longer be a volunteer for the hospital (you can replace hospital for any other non-profit organization...etc...etc...etc..).

makes perfect sense. Thanks bud! 

I would rather my son be in a scout troop that had ordinary people in the leadership roles.  Which means if Darroll was there, knowing about his record, it wouldn't bother me any.  The boys will learn important lessons from folks like Darroll that they cannot learn from others.  He made a mistake and he did the time.  Now it is good for him to share his lesons learned in hopes of helping young men keep from following that route.

On 11/20/2017 at 9:23 AM, anatess2 said:

Unfortunately, there are some lasting consequences to bad choices.  You stumbled upon one of them.  You're probably gonna stumble upon more of them in your lifetime. 

That's why we try our very best to teach our children not to experiment with these things even as we teach them they have free agency.

Aren' t we also suppose to teach them not to judge people on their past mistakes? And to except our past and learn from them? 

On 11/24/2017 at 9:40 PM, MormonGator said:

makes perfect sense. Thanks bud! 

But to deny me to even attend meetings is absurd. I can' even attend his award award. Do you know how many parents just drop their kids off and leave? And to tell a parent that wants to be involved in his sons activities that he can't. Because of a mistake he made over 10 years ago. Is ridiculous and down right stupid.

Past crap impacting present day.  I feel for you, brother.  The Lord promises a perfect blend of justice and mercy, where we can be absolved of our sins through the atonement, where all hurts and injuries are made whole.  Good old fashioned human attempts however, are a poor substitute.

When folks entrust their kids to an organization that promises to instill them with morals and character and whatnot, that organization is going to take steps to make sure they keep out the convicted felons.  Because while you may be a fully repentant good man who has turned your life around, the next five felons in line are a legitimate risk.  God gets to do the whole "garments washed white through the blood of the lamb" thing - humans give each other warning marks that follow you around for life.  

How in the heck did you do 7 years for dealing drugs?  My kiddie-abusing BiL only did 5.   Are the sentencing guidelines that far out of whack, or did you have parole issues, or what?

1 hour ago, Darroll casey said:

But to deny me to even attend meetings is absurd. I can' even attend his award award. Do you know how many parents just drop their kids off and leave? And to tell a parent that wants to be involved in his sons activities that he can't. Because of a mistake he made over 10 years ago. Is ridiculous and down right stupid.

While I'm certainly sympathetic to your plight, you've got to realize that this is a reality of life.  There are some things we do that, no matter how repentant we are, still have lasting consequences.  Repentance only promises complete mercy for eternity.  We may feel a taste of that peace through a hope in Christ.  But we still live in a Telestial world that has Telestial people running by Telestial rules.

I'm sorry for you.  But we all have an albatross around our necks that we have to deal with.  And each one of them seems so unfair.  But in the end, we need to remember that the Lord knows what He's doing.  It will all be made right in the end.

A friend of mine was talking about how tired he was about people "playing the victim."  He said,"You know, there was and has ever been only one victim who ever lived on this earth.  All the rest of us only play the victim.  We have no right to complain."

If you think about it, do we really have a right to claim any injustice upon us?  No.  Through the grace of God, none of us are going to get what we deserve... and thank goodness!  Truly, we all deserve to go to hell.  But none of us are going to, because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  The one person who absolutely did NOT deserve to go to hell went there for us and suffered so that we would not have to suffer like that.  But we are asked to go through this mortal sojourn and suffer such ills as they are sufferable.

Have faith.  Remember Jesus' suffering.  And give thanks.

12 hours ago, Darroll casey said:

Aren' t we also suppose to teach them not to judge people on their past mistakes? And to except our past and learn from them? 

There is a line to be walked in keeping people (especially children) from harm.  That's why people with felony charges, even as they have been fully served time, still cannot be hired for certain jobs.  That's why people with a history of pedophilia, even as they have fully served time, cannot live close to schools, etc. etc.

I teach my children not to judge the eternal destination of people.  That is for Christ alone to do.  I do teach them to judge who they choose to associate with.  So, even as they try to see the good in ALL people, they still know to avoid hanging out with the bad crowd for the safety of their souls.  So in that sense, they have to make character judgments.  That said, I don't teach my kids to hold a person's past against them if they have shown they have turned away from their mistakes.  We all make mistakes.  We all try to do our best to repent from those and change to follow Christ.  My sons learn about Christ and learn to recognize people seeking Christ as well.  They're very active in scouts - both currently working on their eagle.  My husband is the scoutmaster.  From what you told us about yourself, I doubt they would have a problem with you helping them with their scouting stuff as far as the BSA rules allow them.  I have to say, LDS troops are noted to be terrible at following BSA rules!  I mean, we can barely keep our 2-deep rule thing!

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
12 hours ago, Darroll casey said:

Remember, I defended you right off the bat. I totally agree. 

Can some of you BSA gurus weigh in on this (didn't @Backroads work for the BSA)? @Darroll casey is saying he's not only barred from serving in scouts, but from attending any meetings. I know there's BSA policies on who holds positions, but are there restrictions on who attends pack meetings? Darroll, is this coming from BSA or from the charter organization?