Ministering and other changes

jewels8

I think that the new changes that are made in the Church are inspired.  I know that Pres. Nelson is the Lord's mouthpiece, His prophet on the earth today.  I think the concept of ministering helps to give a more personalized way to serve each other and I think it does, I know for me, remind me of the responsibility I have to seek revelation in how to serve those that I have been given stewardship over.  Not that I don't already do those things, but it helps me to realize the importance of magnifying even more what I should do to help in the lives of those that the Lord wants me to serve and follow those promptings more, even if I do have a busy life and special family circumstances, at times.  It is i nteresting too, to see the change in the priesthood quorums, with the high priests and elder's quorum's coming in together, even though there will still be a high priest quorum, at a stake level, as I understand it.  I am not mentioning everything I know about it in this post, but just putting down some things about these changes and that I know they are inspired to better serve others and that that the Lord has a purpose for this at this time.

1 minute ago, Fether said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t the only changes to hometeaching the name and how we are accountable?

It's also in how you do it (or how some do it).  There will no longer be a monthly message.  A message is no longer a priority (per se).  There is no longer an emphasis on getting into the family's home once per month - the frequency would depend on the family's needs.

IMO, if you haven't read the FAQ posted in the other thread, you should.  I think it makes the changes quite clear (and it's not just for leaders).  How much of a change it is will probably depend on the type of home or visiting teacher one was.

58 minutes ago, zil said:

It's also in how you do it (or how some do it).  There will no longer be a monthly message.  A message is no longer a priority (per se).  There is no longer an emphasis on getting into the family's home once per month - the frequency would depend on the family's needs.

There is also the new addition of involving young women in the ministering.

IMO, if you haven't read the FAQ posted in the other thread, you should.  I think it makes the changes quite clear (and it's not just for leaders).  How much of a change it is will probably depend on the type of home or visiting teacher one was.

I was just called as the secretary to the newly formed Elders Quorum in my Ward, and in our leadership meeting today it became apparent that, even given all the material on the Ministering Website,  the full extent of the changes will unfold over time, not unlike with the new mode of instruction for priesthood and Relief Society. It is still a work in processes.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Edited by wenglund

9 minutes ago, wenglund said:

There is also the new addition of involving young women in the ministering.

Yes, but Fether's comment was explicitly about home teaching, so that's what I was addressing.

10 minutes ago, wenglund said:

the full extent of the changes will unfold over time

Definitely!

35 minutes ago, wenglund said:

the full extent of the changes will unfold over time

You mean if we do His will, we will know of the doctrine?  Wow!  I've never heard of such a thing.

On 4/8/2018 at 1:04 PM, jewels8 said:

I think that the new changes that are made in the Church are inspired.  I know that Pres. Nelson is the Lord's mouthpiece, His prophet on the earth today.  I think the concept of ministering helps to give a more personalized way to serve each other and I think it does, I know for me, remind me of the responsibility I have to seek revelation in how to serve those that I have been given stewardship over.  Not that I don't already do those things, but it helps me to realize the importance of magnifying even more what I should do to help in the lives of those that the Lord wants me to serve and follow those promptings more, even if I do have a busy life and special family circumstances, at times.  It is i nteresting too, to see the change in the priesthood quorums, with the high priests and elder's quorum's coming in together, even though there will still be a high priest quorum, at a stake level, as I understand it.  I am not mentioning everything I know about it in this post, but just putting down some things about these changes and that I know they are inspired to better serve others and that that the Lord has a purpose for this at this time.

The emphasized statement was already instituted in home and visiting teaching. As home and visiting teachers we were ministers and were to personalize our messages (our experience with) to the families we were assigned to. We were to seek inspiration on how to best serve our neighbors (families assigned).

Yes, this is an inspired direction, and may we move forward with faith in such a great opportunity.

21 hours ago, Anddenex said:

The emphasized statement was already instituted in home and visiting teaching. As home and visiting teachers we were ministers and were to personalize our messages (our experience with) to the families we were assigned to. We were to seek inspiration on how to best serve our neighbors (families assigned).

Yes, this is an inspired direction, and may we move forward with faith in such a great opportunity.

I realize that the intent and theory over the last few years was to move Home Teaching away from the one-size-fits-all model to more of a personalized approach.

However, as is typically the case, theory doesn't always translate into practice--in part because humans are somewhat resistant to change, and also I believe the Brethren recognized that there were structural element in the HT program that limited personalizing--not the least of which was the monthly messages published in Church magazines, the monthly reporting, etc.

From what I have gathered in researching the new Ministering program, there is a whole new structure in place that lends itself to personalizing. Not only have the monthly messages and reporting been eliminated, but other elements of personalizing, such as prioritizing assignments, have been put into place. 

I view it as similar to a hospital model, where, on the one hand, there are patients with varying degrees of spiritual sickness and health (some needing emergency and critical care, while others are robust and healthy and may only require a quarterly or annual visit along with a preventative health regimen), while on the other hand we have Ministering "medical staff"  with varied skill sets and levels of competency and commitment, from "specialized doctors" to "nurses aids" or "housekeeping." The new program allows the Elder's Quorum and Relief Society presidencies to tailor assignments to best meet needs. This way, teams of "doctors" can work frequently and relatively intensively with "patients" who require critical care, while "nurses aids" or "housekeeping" can provide modest and infrequent support to robust and healthy patients.

I think it is brilliant.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

4 hours ago, wenglund said:

I realize that the intent and theory over the last few years was to move Home Teaching away from the one-size-fits-all model to more of a personalized approach.

However, as is typically the case, theory doesn't always translate into practice--in part because humans are somewhat resistant to change, and also I believe the Brethren recognized that there were structural element in the HT program that limited personalizing--not the least of which was the monthly messages published in Church magazines, the monthly reporting, etc.

From what I have gathered in researching the new Ministering program, there is a whole new structure in place that lends itself to personalizing. Not only have the monthly messages and reporting been eliminated, but other elements of personalizing, such as prioritizing assignments, have been put into place. 

I view it as similar to a hospital model, where, on the one hand, there are patients with varying degrees of spiritual sickness and health (some needing emergency and critical care, while others are robust and healthy and may only require a quarterly or annual visit along with a preventative health regimen), while on the other hand we have Ministering "medical staff"  with varied skill sets and levels of competency and commitment, from "specialized doctors" to "nurses aids" or "housekeeping." The new program allows the Elder's Quorum and Relief Society presidencies to tailor assignments to best meet needs. This way, teams of "doctors" can work frequently and relatively intensively with "patients" who require critical care, while "nurses aids" or "housekeeping" can provide modest and infrequent support to robust and healthy patients.

I think it is brilliant.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

The new Ministering is brilliant, especially with regard to reporting. The intent and theory of Home teaching has always been to minister to. If you read the CHoI on home teaching you will see the home teacher was able to minister and to personalize as needed, especially with regard to what I was responding to, in particular, the concept of seeking personal revelation with regards to how one was to serve their assigned families. Home teaching was never a "one-size-fits-all model."

Nothing in our Home teaching "limited" personalizing home teaching to the families we were assigned to. If people think so, then they greatly and clearly misunderstood Home teaching and its purpose.

Monthly messages haven't been eliminated. The reporting of monthly messages has been eliminated; however, people will still report quarterly on how they are ministering to their EQP. The whole concept of priesthood assignments (any assignment in the Church) is about returning and reporting.

I am looking forward to this new and holier approach to ministering to our brothers and sisters. I never had any problem though with home teaching and personalizing it to the families I was assigned to.

3 hours ago, Anddenex said:

The new Ministering is brilliant, especially with regard to reporting. The intent and theory of Home teaching has always been to minister to. If you read the CHoI on home teaching you will see the home teacher was able to minister and to personalize as needed, especially with regard to what I was responding to, in particular, the concept of seeking personal revelation with regards to how one was to serve their assigned families. Home teaching was never a "one-size-fits-all model."

Nothing in our Home teaching "limited" personalizing home teaching to the families we were assigned to. If people think so, then they greatly and clearly misunderstood Home teaching and its purpose.

Monthly messages haven't been eliminated. The reporting of monthly messages has been eliminated; however, people will still report quarterly on how they are ministering to their EQP. The whole concept of priesthood assignments (any assignment in the Church) is about returning and reporting.

I am looking forward to this new and holier approach to ministering to our brothers and sisters. I never had any problem though with home teaching and personalizing it to the families I was assigned to.

I appreciate this. During church on Sunday we discussed ministering and I felt like it was a copy paste from the home teaching lesson we discussed a couple months prior. Someone had taken away our toy red car and gave us a blue one and we got really excited xD

And I agree with you.  the best part of it is the reporting. Not calling your district leader and saying “I didn’t visit my families this month” is infinitely easier than sitting knee to knee with your EQ president and saying “I have no idea what is going on in the lives of the families I’m responsible for... oh... I had no idea sister smith has been in the hospital the last two weeks”

Nothing we are suppose to be doing in ministering is different than what was suppose to be happening in home teaching. We are now just accountable to the purpose and not the arbitrary check mark each month.

I appreciate this. During church on Sunday we discussed ministering and I felt like it was a copy paste from the home teaching lesson we discussed a couple months prior. Someone had taken away our toy red car and gave us a blue one and we got really excited xD

Now take a moment to think about the blue car though. This blue car is a ATS Sedan in comparison to a red 2001 Cadillac Eldorado. In this, yes, I am excited about the changes. For one reason, hopefully this removes the stigma of home teaching. Some people can't move forward if the name stays the same. We could still call this home teaching (or home ministering), but some people would not see the difference between a ATS Sedan and a 2001 Cadillac Eldorado. They would still see a Cadillac. So the change is good as a focus has shifted.

And I agree with you.  the best part of it is the reporting. Not calling your district leader and saying “I didn’t visit my families this month” is infinitely easier than sitting knee to knee with your EQ president and saying “I have no idea what is going on in the lives of the families I’m responsible for... oh... I had no idea sister smith has been in the hospital the last two weeks”

Yes, and I believe this will be one of the main reasons for the success of this new approach. We are truly focusing on the principle of returning and reporting now. As Elder Holland mentioned, "However, I should stress that this expansive new view does not include the sorry statement I recently saw on an automobile bumper sticker. It read, “If I honk, you’ve been home taught.” Please, please, brethren (the sisters would never be guilty of that—I speak to the brethren of the Church), with these adjustments we want more care and concern, not less." (emphasis added) And hopefully through this new and holier approach to ministering we won't hear your last statement anymore "I had no idea sister smith has been in the hospital the last two weeks" due to a more sincere and genuine approach in caring for our assigned families.

Nothing we are suppose to be doing in ministering is different than what was suppose to be happening in home teaching. We are now just accountable to the purpose and not the arbitrary check mark each month.

Although, I personally am not fond of it, I understand the point being made by our Church leaders. The likening of HT to Law of Moses, checking things off, in comparison to there is nothing to check off, but you will report and be held accountable in light of Elder Hollands words again, "with these adjustments we want more care and concern, not less." (emphasis added).

Edited by Anddenex

12 hours ago, Fether said:

The only way the check mark was truly arbitrary is if one didn't actually legitimately qualify for the check mark.

19 hours ago, Anddenex said:

Again, there is a difference between intent in theory and natural results in practice, and this beyond simple misunderstanding. I will explain below.

Monthly messages haven't been eliminated.

Question 14 of the Ministering FAQ asks: "How is ministering customized to meet the needs of each member?" The answer, in part, is: "Ministering brothers and sisters seek to help individuals and families prepare for their next ordinance, keep the covenants they have made, and become self-reliant. This help may include sharing spiritual messages tailored to an individual or family, though ministering is not principally a message-sharing assignment. The Liahona and Ensign will no longer include specific messages to be used in ministering contacts." (bold mine)

This is what I made reference to. This is an important structural change because, while the intent behind Home Teaching was to meet the needs of the individual, the default practice was that Home Teachers were delivering the same message from the Ensign each month to each of their households--the same message they would also receive from their Home Teachers. This inadvertently made it a one-size-fits-all result.

I believe the Brethren understood this, which is why they will no longer include specific messages in Church publication. Also...

Question 18 of the Ministering FAQ asks: "Does ministering always include a message? The answer is: No. As ministering brothers and sisters come to know those they are assigned, they learn their needs and the Holy Ghost may prompt them to teach a gospel principle. A parent may also request a particular topic for his or her family. But the best “message” is care and compassion." (Bold mine)

The reporting of monthly messages has been eliminated; however, people will still report quarterly on how they are ministering to their EQP. The whole concept of priesthood assignments (any assignment in the Church) is about returning and reporting.

It is the nature of the reporting, and not the reporting itself, that makes all the difference because the nature of the reporting tends to reflect and inadvertently determine the goal. With Home Teaching, the reporting online was ultimately about the percent of families visited each month. So, whether intended or not, the goal became working towards 100% HT visits, which, whether intended or not,  made it a one-size-fits-all approach.

The structural change in ministering goes beyond reducing the frequency of reporting to also changing the very nature of the reporting: Question 19 of the Ministering FAQ asks: "How do ministering brothers and sisters account for their efforts?" And, the answer given is: 
"Leaders no longer gather reports of families and individuals who were visited during a given month. Instead, ministering brothers and sisters have an opportunity to counsel with their elders quorum and Relief Society leaders about the circumstances of those they serve and about their ongoing ministering efforts. This counseling together takes place at least quarterly in ministering interviews and any additional time when communication is necessary."

Further details of the Ministering Interview are provided in answer to questions 20 and 21. (see HERE)

That is great.  I think a lot of Home Teachers and Visiting Teachers were inspired to do things in a way preparatory to the new program. But, the change in question goes beyond how an individual companionship may fulfill their assignments. It also significantly influences the way the presidencies select, extend, monitor, and adjust the assignments.

I suspect that, given the Organizational Behavior backgrounds of Elder Bednar and Elder Eyring, they understood the structural issues unwittingly inherent in the Home Teaching program, and may have been largely influential in affecting the needed changes. But, I am simply making a wild guess. More likely, the premier OB expert, Jesus Christ, was instrumental in directing the change. 

My fear is that people's understandable reverence for Home Teaching may prevent them from grasping what a huge paradigm shift has taken place, and may carry much of their Home Teaching mindset into the new Ministering program, thus inadvertently neutralizing the important structural changes. I hope I am wrong.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Edited by wenglund

Again, there is a difference between intent in theory and natural results in practice, and this beyond simple misunderstanding. I will explain below.

This doesn't change the previous response provided, "Nothing in our Home teaching "limited" personalizing home teaching to the families we were assigned to."

The provided reasons in answer to, "Monthly messages haven't been eliminated," do not negate this statement. One of the quotes you mention, "A parent may also request a particular topic for his or her family," is already within the home teaching specifications stated differently, "The head of the household may also request a special message,' and yet, we have the following statement which is a main emphasis of the over change, "But the best “message” is care and compassion."

Let's review what you also provided, in relation to "Monthly messages haven't been eliminated," "This help may include sharing spiritual messages tailored to an individual or family, though ministering is not principally a message-sharing assignment." The change the new ministering includes messages, which means "monthly messages aren't eliminated they are no longer a principle focus.

It is the nature of the reporting, and not the reporting itself, that makes all the difference because the nature of the reporting tends to reflect and inadvertently determine the goal. With Home Teaching, the reporting online was ultimately about the percent of families visited each month. So, whether intended or not, the goal became working towards 100% HT visits, which, whether intended or not,  made it a one-size-fits-all approach.

We will agree to disagree with regards to a "one-size-fits-all approach." Nothing I did with home teaching made me think it was such, and nothing in the current CHoI regarding HT would make it such either.

EQPs were already required to perform a stewardship (reporting) interview that was supposed to already be in this nature. The focus now on return and reporting is an excellent shift of focus by the brethren. This doesn't change the nature of the reporting that should have already been occurring with stewardship interviews quarterly. Now they are being referred to as "ministering interviews" to fit with the change. This is good. So, we will probably agree to disagree; although, EQPs (HPGLs) had two forms of reporting. The monthly (now no longer) and teh quarterly which was to happen quarterly; unfortunately, this rarely happened. The shift in focus to what has already been in place, stewardship interviews (now ministering interviews) will allow for better ministering to occur.

Current CHoI of Instruction with HT stewardship interviews that were meant to happen quarterly or as needed, "In addition, they meet with home teachers regularly to discuss the spiritual and temporal welfare of the members they are assigned and to make plans to help members in need."

Ministering emphasis now, "Instead, ministering brothers and sisters have an opportunity to counsel with their elders quorum and Relief Society leaders about the circumstances of those they serve and about their ongoing ministering efforts. This counseling together takes place at least quarterly in ministering interviews and any additional time when communication is necessary." Ministering efforts are efforts that help a ward member's needs.

That is great.  I think a lot of Home Teachers and Visiting Teachers were inspired to do things in a way preparatory to the new program.

Any members who are magnifying and fulfilling their duty, according to current guidelines/principles, will be prepared and ready for any new program change. As these members are not about programs, they are about helping their brethren to come unto Christ, which hasn't changed.

But, the change in question goes beyond how an individual companionship may fulfill their assignments. It also significantly influences the way the presidencies select, extend, monitor, and adjust the assignments.

Technically, this should have already been accomplished via stewardship interviews; however, with the new focus, shift to ministering, we will eventually see better results. One of the major changes is how the Church is seeking to relieve burdens from the bishop that should never go to the bishop so he can focus on the youth (as it should already have been happening but wasn't).

My fear is that people's understandable reverence for Home Teaching may prevent them from grasping what a huge paradigm shift has taken place, and may carry much of their Home Teaching mindset into the new Ministering program, thus inadvertently neutralizing the important structural changes. I hope I am wrong.

We simply don't share the same fear. People who have reverence for, and performed, their home teaching according to principle, will have no problem moving forward. What I am concerned more about is "tradition." The brethren have been trying to shift the change in our ward councils and in our teachings during Sunday School with the youth, and yet "tradition" interferes with progress. People get stuck. Those who I have served with that were faithful home teachers (ones I would say that had reverence toward HT) will progress forward with the new focus of the new ministering approach without a hitch.

Edited by Anddenex

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

This doesn't change the previous response provided, "Nothing in our Home teaching "limited" personalizing home teaching to the families we were assigned to."

The provided reasons in answer to, "Monthly messages haven't been eliminated," do not negate this statement. One of the quotes you mention, "A parent may also request a particular topic for his or her family," is already within the home teaching specifications stated differently, "The head of the household may also request a special message,' and yet, we have the following statement which is a main emphasis of the over change, "But the best “message” is care and compassion."

Let's review what you also provided, in relation to "Monthly messages haven't been eliminated," "This help may include sharing spiritual messages tailored to an individual or family, though ministering is not principally a message-sharing assignment." The change the new ministering includes messages, which means "monthly messages aren't eliminated they are no longer a principle focus.

We will agree to disagree with regards to a "one-size-fits-all approach." Nothing I did with home teaching made me think it was such, and nothing in the current CHoI regarding HT would make it such either.

EQPs were already required to perform a stewardship (reporting) interview that was supposed to already be in this nature. The focus now on return and reporting is an excellent shift of focus by the brethren. This doesn't change the nature of the reporting that should have already been occurring with stewardship interviews quarterly. Now they are being referred to as "ministering interviews" to fit with the change. This is good. So, we will probably agree to disagree; although, EQPs (HPGLs) had two forms of reporting. The monthly (now no longer) and teh quarterly which was to happen quarterly; unfortunately, this rarely happened. The shift in focus to what has already been in place, stewardship interviews (now ministering interviews) will allow for better ministering to occur.

Current CHoI of Instruction with HT stewardship interviews that were meant to happen quarterly or as needed, "In addition, they meet with home teachers regularly to discuss the spiritual and temporal welfare of the members they are assigned and to make plans to help members in need."

Ministering emphasis now, "Instead, ministering brothers and sisters have an opportunity to counsel with their elders quorum and Relief Society leaders about the circumstances of those they serve and about their ongoing ministering efforts. This counseling together takes place at least quarterly in ministering interviews and any additional time when communication is necessary." Ministering efforts are efforts that help a ward member's needs.

That is great.  I think a lot of Home Teachers and Visiting Teachers were inspired to do things in a way preparatory to the new program.

Any members who are magnifying and fulfilling their duty, according to current guidelines/principles, will be prepared and ready for any new program change. As these members are not about programs, they are about helping their brethren to come unto Christ, which hasn't changed.

But, the change in question goes beyond how an individual companionship may fulfill their assignments. It also significantly influences the way the presidencies select, extend, monitor, and adjust the assignments.

Technically, this should have already been accomplished via stewardship interviews; however, with the new focus, shift to ministering, we will eventually see better results. One of the major changes is how the Church is seeking to relieve burdens from the bishop that should never go to the bishop so he can focus on the youth (as it should already have been happening but wasn't).

We simply don't share the same fear. People who have reverence for, and performed, their home teaching according to principle, will have no problem moving forward. What I am concerned more about is "tradition." The brethren have been trying to shift the change in our ward councils and in our teachings during Sunday School with the youth, and yet "tradition" interferes with progress. People get stuck. Those who I have served with that were faithful home teachers (ones I would say that had reverence toward HT) will progress forward with the new focus of the new ministering approach without a hitch.

Perhaps you are right: no significant change here, just a little more than putting a new name on an old way of doing things. Nothing to fear in that.

Strange, though, that the church devoted several session of General Conference, restructured the Melch. priesthood, significantly revamped the Leader and Clerk Resource website--something that won't be completed until the 1st of August due to critical alterations in reporting, and created a web page devoted to explaining the differences as well as similarities to Home and Visiting Teaching.  

So, what was the point?

Whatever the point, my intent isn't to dispute over or diminish the value of Home Teaching, and certainly not understate the performance of board members I barely know regarding how they handled Home Teaching.. Rather, it is to echo what has been said by church leaders and joyfully and with increased understanding accept my new calling as Ministering brethren and now as a member of the newly formed Elder's Quorum presidency in my Ward.

To each their own.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Edited by wenglund

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread has been laid in the mortuary, but before it gets buried for good, I want to ask this last question and I didn't really want to start a new thread.

In the 1973 General Conference, Marion G Romney left us this little bit about of guidance when it came to home teaching.

"Home teaching, properly functioning, brings to the home of each member two priesthood bearers divinely commissioned and authoritatively called into the service by their priesthood leader and bishop. These home teachers—priesthood bearers—carry the heavy and glorious responsibility, of representing the Lord Jesus Christ in looking after the welfare of each member and of encouraging and inspiring every member to discharge his duty, both family and church.

Among the specific responsibilities of home teachers, the following may be listed:

First and foremost, to so live that they always enjoy the companionship of the Holy Ghost and act under his inspiration in the discharge of their home teaching responsibilities.

Second, to encourage and inspire every member to do his or her part to make and keep the home a truly Latter-day Saint home.

This would mean, among other things, that parents are sealed in the temple; that children not born under the covenant are sealed to parents; that future marriages are performed in the temple; that family prayers are regularly said night and morning; that secret prayers are said by every member with like consistency; that other gospel standards and practices are understood and complied with; that home evenings are regularly observed and the recommended lessons considered; that children are blessed and baptized in harmony with the revelations; that ordinations in the priesthood are merited and obtained in proper season; that priesthood bearers attend their priesthood meetings; that sacrament meeting attendance is regular; and that every member participate in the organizations and activities sponsored by the Church for his or her temporal and spiritual development.

Home teachers respond willingly and without constraint in the spirit of love to the needs and wishes of the family and each of its members; they respond likewise to the counsel of their bishop and priesthood leaders.

Home teachers are divinely commissioned, having been called into service by their priesthood leader after he has consulted and agreed with the bishop. They are guided in that service by the home teaching program sponsored and directed by the General Authorities of the Church, under the counsel of the First Presidency. The service itself, however, and the responsibility to perform it, did not originate in the minds of any of these servants of the Lord. It originated in the mind of the Lord himself and was revealed by him."

Are our duties still the same? Can the above be re-stated, but replace all 'home teaching' references with 'ministering'?

And what about the direction in the old duties and blessings of the priesthood manual? (https://www.lds.org/manual/duties-and-blessings-of-the-priesthood-basic-manual-for-priesthood-holders-part-b/priesthood-and-church-government/lesson-6-home-teaching?lang=eng)

Edited by Fether

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

My personal opinion is that the duties are the same, but how we go about them has changed to allow us more free reign on how to accomplish it.

I’m giving the lesson tomorrow on it and I was wanting to pull from these two quotes to use as somewhat of a supplement to my lesson.

9 hours ago, Fether said:

I know this thread has been laid in the mortuary, but before it gets buried for good, I want to ask this last question and I didn't really want to start a new thread.

In the 1973 General Conference, Marion G Romney left us this little bit about of guidance when it came to home teaching.

Are our duties still the same? Can the above be re-stated, but replace all 'home teaching' references with 'ministering'?

And what about the direction in the old duties and blessings of the priesthood manual? (https://www.lds.org/manual/duties-and-blessings-of-the-priesthood-basic-manual-for-priesthood-holders-part-b/priesthood-and-church-government/lesson-6-home-teaching?lang=eng)

If the name change is any indication, there is a shift (whether in emphasis or otherwise) in duties from teaching to ministering. 

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

We had a lesson on this in RS last Sunday.  I love the way the teacher taught this lesson.  She used only one Gen Conference talk - the one by Pres. Eyring in April - and she recounted Pres. Eyring's stories from that talk.  The cool thing she said is that our willingness to allow our sisters to minister to us can also be seen as our ministering to them as we become part of their growth in the gospel.

It's all about emphasis and focus. How we measure things directs how we do things. Teaching in the home was both the name and the focus of reporting before and as such was the focus of our efforts. Now what is getting reported is how well do we know our families and this new measurement will change how we minister. It might take a couple of quarterly interviews but it won't be long before everyone see's that this is more than simply refreshing the image of an old product. The ultimate goals may be the same (exaltation is always the goal) but the new focus will dramatically change our approach and the results we see.