Answered

Overwatch

There's a bunch of different topics here intertwined.  I'll try to address each of them--

The "why go to church question":  first most importantly is to partake of the Lord's Supper.  Secondly is to fellowship one with another and strengthen each other.   I do receive inpresation and encouragement.   I don't go to church to be entertained. 

Focusing on the fellowship aspect:  Speaking personally (as a mega introvert), I actually find general Mormon culture to be extremely non-private-- lots of sharing, each taking different turns, hosting people, etc.  It can be exhausting for introverted me.   But these folks are still my family in Christ, so I'm going to be here for them and love them even when I don't like them.  And my church family has accepted & love me doing soduku in the corner, and thanks me when I contribute to discussions-- and I honestly do feel like I am valued and loved.  

Spiritual insight: I do receive spiritual insight and refillment regularly at church.  Sometimes this comes directly from what a speaker/teacher said.  Sometimes it's from a thought tangent I had while listening to the speaker/teacher.  Sometimes it's just from my own personal mediations while sitting in church.  And yes, I will readily say that personal mediations are great thing in church, and would recommend such when outward services/classes are not being helpful to you.  

Speaking on entertainment: I don't go to church to be entertained.  And LDS services seldom are entertaining.  I've been to many other churches where entertainment was among there goals in service-- works great for the first few times, but then... ultimately each disciple in Christ needs to put down deep roots of faith and not just show up to church for entertainment (you will inevitably be bored).  

(Next post will specifically touch on comments from the OP).

Edited by Jane_Doe

(General comment here)

@Overwatch, you spoke about how outward LDS church culture in the US is subdued and not bouncy-shout-and-jump-up-and-down.   May I submit to you that this is a cultural thing in the US, and that one culture is not necessarily better than another?  Just different instead.  

24 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

Mormons are very private

LOL.  I've actually found the reverse to be true and have at times mega struggled with that. 

I really enjoy the monthly fast where people go up and talk LOL you NEVER know what is going to be said. The next class is usually pretty cool, get to sit with my wife and the lessons are very interesting (they let me go to whichever class because I actually study on my own)

:)

"We go to church to partake of the sacrament, we are not there for other people and shouldn't care what others do and think as long as we are obeying"

1. While I understand the sacrament is HUGE (even though I realize it is only symbolism until I covenant to take upon myself the name of Christ as a Mormon) Even if I could prep my own bread and water it has to have a representative of the Bishops council present. SO, I have to be with other people. Right?  Going to church is meant to edify each other. Learning and growing as a Christian community a big Christian FAMILY.  I very much think member interaction is a must and finding out the needs of each other is key to retaining and caring for a flock (congregation)

This comes back different between to 1) the most important goal (which is the sacrament) and 2) the second goal (fellowship/strengthening) which is important but not as important.

Being point blank honest here: I've been at points where #2 wasn't happening and my interactions with folks there destructive (due to human failings all around).  I still needed to come to church for #1 because that's most important.

Obviously ideally you should indeed also be getting #1 and #2... but it doesn't always happen.  Don't ditch the #1 thing because #2 isn't happening. 

"Going to church will give re-energize your spiritual batteries so you can take on the trials of the next week"

3. Re-energizing my spiritual batteries - yes but what if I feel more depressed after going to church rather then being edified? With the same lessons over and over and over. My comrades all looking sapped dry and only at church to check a box. Oh and the pretentious questions "Are you doing all that you are supposed to be doing?  Are you doing the basics?  Well, it must be because you need to be baptized into the Mormon church and you will feel better" [FACEPALM]

I'm not going to judge other folks in the congregation-- they aren't here to talk to.  

I will express sympathies with the "well you should just be baptized" pressure and a mega-eye roll on your behalf.  Folks need to back off sometime.  My husband's not LDS and I'm so so familiar with well-meanings folks (mis)stepping in that regard.  Though, for whatever it's worth it's better than the treatment I get when attending with his mom places.  Still doesn't make it right.

So, back to talking about @Overwatch-- are you feeling depressed because of .... ?   

I am not really sure at this point what the right path for me is BUT I was hoping to get some uplifting stories from you guys.

Did I answer this already?  If not I can certainly/happily talk more about it.

5 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

Well, it must be because you need to be baptized into the Mormon church and you will feel better

It's possible you dismiss this one too easily - not because you should be baptized, but because of one specific blessing that comes after baptism...  Keep in mind I'm speaking from a Mormon perspective here, so we're operating on the assumption that the Church's teachings are true.  After baptism, one receives the gift of the Holy Ghost.  This allows one the constant companionship of the Spirit - as opposed to occasional witness from the Spirit.  Further, we read in scripture that the Spirit will not always strive with man (that is, if you resist, decline to act, the Spirit leaves you to yourself).

So, perhaps without the gift of the Spirit, and perhaps after years of telling the Spirit you're not going to do more, you only get what you personally can extract from the experience.  Perhaps you get the occasional intellectual or emotional reaction, perhaps the Spirit testifies again on some occasions that you're hearing truth, but that constant companionship is not there.

When I am doing as best I can manage, when I desire the things of God, then Sunday meetings are restorative to my soul.  My spiritual resolve and energy are increased.  It doesn't matter whether the speakers or lesson or teacher were "good", it matters that I was doing what the Lord requires of me, and doing it with real intent.  Then I am blessed by it.  This is one gift of the Spirit - your Sunday experience isn't limited to what you can get out of it all by yourself, it's amplified by the companionship of the Spirit.  What happened externally becomes far less relevant to the experience than what happens internally.

It should be noted that I'm an extreme introvert, so my experiences will be filtered through that lens.  No doubt an extreme extrovert would be bored to tears by our sedate form of worship - they would probably find it exhausting, despite the numbers of people present.  Most people are somewhere between these extremes.

All that said, I've never been in Elder's Quorum, so I can't speak to any norm there.  There have been and are speakers and teachers who are more passionate, excited, and interesting than others.

If all you want to do is complain, OK.  If you want to help, formulate some constructive suggestions and give them to your bishop. :)

5 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

@Overwatch, you spoke about how outward LDS church culture in the US is subdued and not bouncy-shout-and-jump-up-and-down.   May I submit to you that this is a cultural thing in the US, and that one culture is not necessarily better than another?  Just different instead.

From our latest General Conference:

A few years ago, while my wife, Anita, and I were serving in the Arkansas Little Rock Mission, I went out to teach with two young missionaries. During the lesson, the good brother we were teaching said, “[...] Your church is not lively like ours.”

To that we responded, “What would you do if the Savior Jesus Christ walked through your door?”

He said, “Immediately, I would go down to my knees.”

We asked, “Isn’t that what you feel when you walk into Latter-day Saint chapels—reverence for the Savior?”

He said, “I get it, I get it, I get it!”

He showed up at church that Easter Sunday and kept returning.

Both on my mission and otherwise, I have experienced the worship of other denominations that involve the congregants shouting out "Praise Jesus!", or yelling into a greatly amplified microphone over the blaring music, or clapping and chanting and laughing as they sing. In many cases, I believed these people to have been sincere. But in such worship services, I have never experienced the still small voice of the Holy Ghost bearing witness to me of Christ or of the love of God. The atmosphere was much more like a ball game than what I would consider a worship service.

I agree that our services are very influenced by American culture and Protestantism (especially Methodism), and that an appropriate worship service might well look different in a different culture. But I do not believe that many of the "lively" services found in other religious bodies are ever appropriate for an LDS meeting. Sacrament meetings should be conducted with dignity, restraint, and some appropriate level of solemnity and decorum. "Solemn" doesn't mean "sad"; if you think it does, then simply substitute "reverent".

I identify with a lot of what you say, @Overwatch; and as yet another introvert would endorse the earlier statements in this thread.  We have six kids under 11; and sacrament meeting is exhausting for us.  The way my brain works slants in ways that I’d like to consider intellectual but are really just prideful—but whatever I call it, the result is that even on the best of days I rarely get much out of the talks or lessons.

But, let me give you an example of how I approach it:

Right now, I work in a town 150 miles from home.  On Sunday nights I spend almost three hours driving out to an apartment in a town near the state line.  During the days I work.  During the evenings I read, study, cook, spend WAY too much time on MormonHub, and generally live a contemplative—even monastic—solitary lifestyle.  It is, frankly, a lifestyle that is ideal for my introverted temperament.

On Friday, after work I spend another three hours driving back to my wife and six kids; and spend the weekend in absolute chaos as I try to manage all the household maintenance tasks that couldn’t get done during the week.  That lifestyle, for me, is not particularly edifying; it’s certainly not peaceful; and—truth be told—it often isn’t even very fun.  But—it’s home; the one I love is there; and there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that it’s where I’m supposed to be and that I’m a better man for being there.

Similarly—to me, for all its grating characteristics, Church is home.  The One I love is there, it’s where I’m meant to be, and I’m a better man for being there.  

I don’t check off a box on Sundays—I go home.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

43 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

This comes back different between to 1) the most important goal (which is the sacrament) and 2) the second goal (fellowship/strengthening) which is important but not as important.

Being point blank honest here: I've been at points where #2 wasn't happening and my interactions with folks there destructive (due to human failings all around).  I still needed to come to church for #1 because that's most important.

Obviously ideally you should indeed also be getting #1 and #2... but it doesn't always happen.  Don't ditch the #1 thing because #2 isn't happening. 

I'm just gonna make a slight correction on this one.  The 2 Great Commandments are to Love God and to Love your neighbor as yourself.  The 2nd is not "important but not as important", I don't think.  It is important period.

Sacrament meeting is for worship and fellowship - to be edified one to another.  But then Church is a hospital of sinners and not a club of celestial beings - at least, not yet.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:53 PM, Vort said:

From our latest General Conference:

Both on my mission and otherwise, I have experienced the worship of other denominations that involve the congregants shouting out "Praise Jesus!", or yelling into a greatly amplified microphone over the blaring music, or clapping and chanting and laughing as they sing. In many cases, I believed these people to have been sincere. But in such worship services, I have never experienced the still small voice of the Holy Ghost bearing witness to me of Christ or of the love of God. The atmosphere was much more like a ball game than what I would consider a worship service.

I agree that our services are very influenced by American culture and Protestantism (especially Methodism), and that an appropriate worship service might well look different in a different culture. But I do not believe that many of the "lively" services found in other religious bodies are ever appropriate for an LDS meeting. Sacrament meetings should be conducted with dignity, restraint, and some appropriate level of solemnity and decorum. "Solemn" doesn't mean "sad"; if you think it does, then simply substitute "reverent".

Edited by Overwatch

On 5/29/2018 at 2:21 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

I identify with a lot of what you say, @Overwatch; and as yet another introvert would endorse the earlier statements in this thread.  We have six kids under 11; and sacrament meeting is exhausting for us.  The way my brain works slants in ways that I’d like to consider intellectual but are really just prideful—but whatever I call it, the result is that even on the best of days I rarely get much out of the talks or lessons.

But, let me give you an example of how I approach it:

Right now, I work in a town 150 miles from home.  On Sunday nights I spend almost three hours driving out to an apartment in a town near the state line.  During the days I work.  During the evenings I read, study, cook, spend WAY too much time on MormonHub, and generally live a contemplative—even monastic—solitary lifestyle.  It is, frankly, a lifestyle that is ideal for my introverted temperament.

On Friday, after work I spend another three hours driving back to my wife and six kids; and spend the weekend in absolute chaos as I try to manage all the household maintenance tasks that couldn’t get done during the week.  That lifestyle, for me, is not particularly edifying; it’s certainly not peaceful; and—truth be told—it often isn’t even very fun.  But—it’s home; the one I love is there; and there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that it’s where I’m supposed to be and that I’m a better man for being there.

Similarly—to me, for all its grating characteristics, Church is home.  The One I love is there, it’s where I’m meant to be, and I’m a better man for being there.  

I don’t check off a box on Sundays—I go home.

Edited by Overwatch

14 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

I figured once I found the true church it would feel different. The members would be well above the world and revelation would be seeping on a regular basis. I would get answers to questions like (Why the blacks could not have the priesthood :Please don't respond this part x_x the last thread was nightmare and noticed it disappeared XD) I was told they didn't know exactly. I helped out a lot and saw the same people doing all the work... I just got burnt out I guess. My only friend moved away after his wife changed careers. I was then left alone until I just decided to ... stop going.

14 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

The church teaches very BASIC concepts and I find myself getting very bored to be honest.

I TOTALLY get both of these statements, 100%.  I have SO been in that exact boat*. 

What finally snapped me out of it was... the realization that I have a long way to go-- that I fall short so many times.  That I am just like those flawed people around me that I kept picking bones with.  That I should love them better... and myself better.  To forgive us all, as Christ does.  That me growing closer to Christ wasn't about me having a big "I didn't know that fact!" moment or "I totally need to do that new thing!" moment.  Instead it was/is about me remembering all that I've learned those far and continuing to implement it in a healthy manner Christ would want for me-- aka don't take on a million things and burn out, but to focus on the most important and grow there-- I still have a LOT of work to do.

*This sentence doesn't just apply to past tense.  Sometimes it happens nowadays too.

Edited by Jane_Doe

Just now, zil said:

Correct, I are not ready, not anywhere near it.

haha I am sure you are more ready than you believe.

You seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders

*side note: I can only imagine the stress these Leaders go through. The whole WORLD is watching them and taking note for good and bad @..@ 

On 5/29/2018 at 2:27 PM, anatess2 said:

Sacrament meeting is for worship and fellowship - to be edified one to another.  But then Church is a hospital of sinners and [not a club of celestial beings] - at least, not yet.

Edited by Overwatch

I am a fallen sinful human.  Church is a valuable tool for me, a way to make sure I do not get too far down my own paths I am often drawn too.  A weekly centering, pulling-back to truth, reminding me of what's important and what isn't - I need it.  It isn't about what I like most, it's about what I need.  Regarding gospel truth, do I always hear something that I didn't know before?  Not often, maybe one out of every four sundays or so.  Much of that is my own fault, as I usually skip Sunday School to write checks in the clerk's office.   For me, church is more of a way to retain what I have, any growing or learning or what have you is just icing on the cake. 

Now, that said, I usually do enjoy church.  I am grateful for the fellowshipping I get there, and the chance to connect with my fellow saints.  I get a huge kick out of our weird ones - one of our clerks has very, very, very fringe political beliefs, and I like to get him going because he always has something fun to say.  My faith is bolstered by being around those with strong faith.

2 hours ago, Overwatch said:

The sacrament meetings are usually very dull (besides the passing of the holy supper which I get is HOLY, show respect right?)

When I first watched opera, I thought it was dull and boring. I didn't understand anything. Not just the language; I didn't understand why people sang or acted as they did. I didn't understand the story being portrayed.I didn't understand why the arias came when they did, what they were supposed to mean, why I was supposed to care. But as I learned about the story being portrayed, about the conventions of opera, about the way characters interact, about what arias mean, and how to understand the actual languages being spoken and sung, my enjoyment of opera increased immensely.

I was bored by opera because I didn't understand opera. As my understanding increased, so did my enjoyment. I have observed this exact same phenomenon dozens of times in my own life: Listening to lectures, studying textbooks, reading novels, watching artsy-fartsy movies. Many can relate to studying scriptures and finding it interminable and boring, until they finally built a foundation of understanding -- at which point scripture study ceased being a burden and became instead a wonder. Others have seen this happen more gradually. But the bottom line is the same: We are bored by things we don't understand. As our understanding increases, so (normally) does our interest.

Re-energizing my spiritual batteries - yes but what if I feel more depressed after going to church rather then being edified? With the same lessons over and over and over.

I'm 55 years old, and have been going to Church (LDS) all my life. In my meetings last Sunday, I heard and participated in discussions about THE SAME THINGS I TALKED ABOUT IN JUNIOR SUNDAY SCHOOL* HALF A CENTURY AGO. Yet I found it fulfilling and interesting.

Why?

I served a mission to Italy. While there, I once visited Pisa -- a beautiful little city, really just a gem. I climbed the famous tower in the central piazza there. A spiral staircase led up the tower, and as I walked up, I passed by windows that let me see outside. Of course, I kept passing by exactly the same scenes, time after time -- only they were not really the same. Each time I arrived at (for example) the view of the baptistry, it was at a different level than before. I kept seeing the same scenes, but from a higher and higher perspective.

Thus it is with our spiritual lives. We keep revisiting the very same gospel topics, those which are at the center of our spiritual development. We have a four-year cycle of scripture teaching in gospel doctrine Sunday school class, so every fourth year we start the cycle over. But each time we go through the cycle, we are (hopefully) at a more mature spiritual level, giving us a better perspective. We continually learn new things, because the gospel is vast and we are small.

Can you imagine the physicist who says, "Aw, look, it's the same old universe that was here when I was studying in grad school. How boring. Sure would be nice if we could sometime or other study a different universe, one with new and exciting things, rather than the same old boring one I've known since childhood"? Such a physicist would never make any relevant contributions, because he would be missing the central fact of the infinite reach of the universe and his own equally vast ignorance.

So don't despair at the same old same old. Be happy instead that you get to really sink your teeth into the meatiest, juiciest topics available for our spiritual benefit.

The next class is usually pretty cool, get to sit with my wife and the lessons are very interesting (they let me go to whichever class because I actually study on my own) but priesthood usually is where the day drags. I am sorry but the men look defeated, nothing like the group I imagined they would be. Holding the Holy Power of God to do MIRACLES and administer you would think that things would be more lively and upbeat (I had been going for years so it doesn't change, at least not here)

Strange how perceptions differ. For me, Priesthood meeting has often been the highlight of my Sunday experience. Being able to counsel with my brothers, learn from them, and share my own experiences with them has proven invaluable on so many occasions. And not only in my current ward; it's been this way pretty much all of my adult life, at least since I got married.

What do YOU like most about church and what keeps you going back?

Not sure. Maybe the fellowship, interacting with good men and women, many of whom are in very different life situations from myself. I'm inspired to see our bishopric, where the carpenter works closely with the university teacher and the guy who manages the Toyota dealership. These are great men, truly men of God who I look up to with admiration and respect. In my quorum, we have men who identify as lawyers, computer programmers, managers, construction workers, ranch hands, publishers, and many other walks of life. But honestly, I have to stop and think about what many of them do for a living, because that's not what we spend our time discussing. We are brothers, united by our covenants. We take pleasure in each other's strengths and try to watch out for each other's best interests.

Of course, nothing tops a spiritual sacrament meeting, a great set of sermons, or a spiritual Sunday school class. Teaching the Primary children or the youth in Sunday school or Young Men's/Young Women's can be a precious and humbling experience.

I don't know. Church is great. I don't have a single favorite thing about it. I think it's too bad that I can generally spend only three hours a week with the best group of people I know.

*"Junior Sunday School" is an old-timey thing, where the young children would get together for about 90 minutes to receive the sacrament and have a Sunday school class. This has not been done since the introduction of the consolidated meeting schedule ("three-hour block") in the 1980s. Primary used to take place during the week; now it is part of the three-hour block, and functions more or less as Junior Sunday School did for my generation.

Edited by Vort

2 hours ago, zil said:

, I've never been in Elder's Quorum, so I can't speak to any norm there.

Rip. I just realized that you said this. I was making Irish Oats with my daughter and I realized you weren't male x_x or maybe just a Teen (was going over the responses in my mind)

uh.. you are Davetta Bednar    X I

nvm

Lol

7 hours ago, Overwatch said:

I am very open with my life and talk to a lot of people. I thrive off of the company and companionship of others. I have a very hard time going to Mormon church because to me (when not on the pulpit proclaiming the truth) Mormons are very private and to be honest look very tired when going to church. The sacrament meetings are usually very dull (besides the passing of the holy supper which I get is HOLY, show respect right?) I really enjoy the monthly fast where people go up and talk LOL you NEVER know what is going to be said. The next class is usually pretty cool, get to sit with my wife and the lessons are very interesting (they let me go to whichever class because I actually study on my own) but priesthood usually is where the day drags. I am sorry but the men look defeated, nothing like the group I imagined they would be. Holding the Holy Power of God to do MIRACLES and administer you would think that things would be more lively and upbeat (I had been going for years so it doesn't change, at least not here) So of course people have reached out but ultimately let me have my space (which I really appreciated/appreciate) but at first they were telling things like:

"We go to church to partake of the sacrament, we are not there for other people and shouldn't care what others do and think as long as we are obeying"

"Christ wants you to go to church"

"Going to church will give re-energize your spiritual batteries so you can take on the trials of the next week"

sigh. okay let's review these statements.

1. While I understand the sacrament is HUGE (even though I realize it is only symbolism until I covenant to take upon myself the name of Christ as a Mormon) Even if I could prep my own bread and water it has to have a representative of the Bishops council present. SO, I have to be with other people. Right?  Going to church is meant to edify each other. Learning and growing as a Christian community a big Christian FAMILY.  I very much think member interaction is a must and finding out the needs of each other is key to retaining and caring for a flock (congregation)

2. He wants us all to do a lot of things XD really not much else to say about this one

3. Re-energizing my spiritual batteries - yes but what if I feel more depressed after going to church rather then being edified? With the same lessons over and over and over. My comrades all looking sapped dry and only at church to check a box. Oh and the pretentious questions "Are you doing all that you are supposed to be doing?  Are you doing the basics?  Well, it must be because you need to be baptized into the Mormon church and you will feel better" [FACEPALM]

I am not really sure at this point what the right path for me is BUT I was hoping to get some uplifting stories from you guys.

What do YOU like most about church and what keeps you going back?

Thanks

My experience has been almost the opposite of yours in every (2 HA!) ward I've visited (plus stake conference) and every temple I've gone to (6?).  From the very first time I stepped foot in my ward I was uplifted by how friendly and outgoing everyone I met was.  It was clear they genuinely loved everyone.  The children were family to all, and not a distraction but an addition.  The talks were personal and from the heart (sure, some are snoozers, but I'm amazed some people get up there and even attempt it because they are so uncomfortable).  

I love Open Mic Night (fast Sunday).  There's always that one "here she goes again", but if you open your heart you see the sincerity in their testimony.  I don't get up and share mine, but I love sharing my testimony in person.  It was such a crazy ride it can't be denied that God's hand was in it.  

I've never seen a man that looked defeated, except maybe the cop who sometimes comes after a long night shift.  I've seen men pondering and praying but never defeated.  It's a time for reverence.  After the Sacrament, admittedly, sometimes I'm looking over my 2nd-hour lesson (I teach Gospel Principles) because I never feel like I'm prepared enough.  There isn't much interaction during Sacrament or 1st hour because the beginning is reverent for the Sacrament and the rest is respectfully listening to the talks.  It's very distracting and disheartening to give a talk and have someone not paying attention.  Maybe that is different in other wards, but mine is very respectful.

I teach during the second hour, so I'm not sure how that is perceived by others.  A lot of long-time members come to my class, so they either enjoy it or are there to make sure I don't mess it up too badly.   I have a lot of discussions and tend to go long.  This week a Stake Counselor had to come ask me "hey, you want to be ordained or what?.  Only much nicer.  Priesthood was starting and I was still teaching my class.  He wanted me there to be sustained.

If you stay in the same class you'll get the same lessons, but honestly every lesson I've ever heard twice left me with something new.  The priesthood was sometimes a snoozer with the old format.  We had a lot of "hallway third hours", depending on the speaker.  With the new format, I really enjoy the third hour.  We have some really good discussions.  

So in a nutshell, it's hard to say why your experience in that ward is different than others.  Maybe it's the ward.  Maybe it's your perception.  Maybe your expectations are too high.  We're still mortal men, just trying to make it through this world like everyone else.  Just because we have the Priesthood and the gift of the Holy Spirit doesn't mean the weight of the world doesn't get to us now and again.  I'm a very outgoing and friendly guy (as those on here who have met me can attest or denounce).  Some people just bring out the worst in me, though.  I really try to be kind and loving like so many people on this forum are, but often I have an overwhelming desire to punch someone in the throat because of what they're posting.  The struggle is real.

SO, what do I like most?  I love the people.  I NEED church to recharge my batteries.  It's like a little rail that just puts me on track and gets me through the next week.  I walk out of church joyous, uplifted, and excited for what's to come.  I strengthen my little beachhead each week and use that strength to capture a little more ground during the week in my quest to be more Christ-like.  I love the family.  I love doing everything I can from the moment I walk through the door to help the church and everyone in it.  

It's that one day a week that I can see everyone else and think "yep, I'm on the right path".  I love my people and feel refreshed just being in their presence.

Edited by Grunt