Unpopular Opinion: Stuff taught at school

Backroads

I really hate this line. So popular on the interweb.

Why aren't parents teaching their kids financial fundamentals?

I'm not opposed to a financial class in and of itself, but this meme seems a yet another cry for parents to abandon responsibility.

They live in your house while you are likely paying taxes, having careers, hopefully managing money.

3b723a48898d0300b294f459317b9a27e18e837f7f61a3c5ad5fbb5fb0e323c3_1.jpg

7 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

When I was in High School, I had Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, Trig, Intro to Diff Eq, Statistics, Business Math, and Home Econ.  That's 2 math classes per year.

How can you have an introductory DiffEq class without calculus? Serious question.

5 hours ago, Backroads said:

I really hate this line. So popular on the interweb.

Because parents have long ago abdicated their divine responsibility for educating their own children, and now demand that strangers do it instead. They think it's a fundamental right. Lord, save us from ourselves.

Public education is fundamental for a society of free peoples.  But like all other liberties - the greatest threat comes from governments.  I do not believe that the problem is education but rather education controlled by authorities over a community rather than by that community.

The Traveler

Guest Scott

They should, but a lot of parents don't understand it.  

It's not the kids accumulating massive amounts of debt.  

I say the progressives can have the schools teach my kids sex ed or financial fundamentals—but not both.  Then, watch ‘em squirm while they try to explain why the former is more important than the latter.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest Mores
2 hours ago, Vort said:

Huh? That's like saying Intro to Aerodynamics is pre-physics.

I'm wondering if this is a language issue. The Philippines may have used different terms for these things.

@anatess2,

In the US, pre-calculus is the introduction to the use of limits of differential elements in the integral function.

Calculus is the "general type of math" involving the use of integrals and derivatives.  

Diff Eq. are the more complex end of calculus involving things like transformations.

So, to say "diff eq." are an introduction to pre-calculus doesn't really compute on this end.

Edited by Mores

Guest Mores
10 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

I am a fan of parents teaching their kids basic finances.  AND I'm a fan of it being taught in schools too.  Just like any other important life skill.  

Here's the problem with it being taught in schools.

1) I've never seen or heard of any class that does even a decent job of it.  They've been either completely useless (a huge waste of time) or they've actually taught very bad principles.
2) Parents don't need to understand much themselves.  They do need to acknowledge what they don't understand -- then encourage their children to look up how to deal with it.

Classes in Home Economics were not just about cooking.  They taught how to purchase things.  What bills need to be paid and how to pay them.  What I found extremely dangerous was the encouragement to use credit cards instead of debit cards or cash.  Not a single story have I heard of any home-ec class saying to avoid debt.  They try to say "manage debt well."  But then the advice they gave on how to manage it never went into the proper math to really understand what debt does.  They never indicate the negative side of debt.

That's how bad it was when I was in high school and college.  I fear what they're teaching in schools nowadays:  How to manage being on the dole?

Guest Scott
53 minutes ago, Mores said:

1) I've never seen or heard of any class that does even a decent job of it.  

They used to.  In high school, we were taught how to balance a checkbook (emphasis on never going negative) and how to calculate interest, as well as why racking up credit card interest and unsecured debt was not a good idea.  One assignment was to see how long it would take to pay off a credit card (and the interest) if you immediately charged two thousand dollars, never used the card again, and made only the minimum payments.

Guest Scott

Even the Church doesn't seem to hammer on avoiding debt as much as they used to.  When I was younger, Church leaders would constantly say that the only reasons you should ever go into debt were for a modest house and for an education.  That was it.   It was mentioned all the time in meetings, conferences, etc.  Although avoiding debt is still occasionally mentioned, it doesn't seem to be mentioned as much anymore and when it is, it doesn't seem to be mentioned as much that the only reasons to go into debt should be for a modest house and education.

Although interest rates are lower now, it seems at least as important today and probably even more so given the astronomical rise in costs such as healthcare.  A lot of people aren't saving for retirement either.

16 hours ago, Vort said:

Huh? That's like saying Intro to Aerodynamics is pre-physics.

14 hours ago, Mores said:

I'm wondering if this is a language issue. The Philippines may have used different terms for these things.

@anatess2,

In the US, pre-calculus is the introduction to the use of limits of differential elements in the integral function.

Calculus is the "general type of math" involving the use of integrals and derivatives.  

Diff Eq. are the more complex end of calculus involving things like transformations.

So, to say "diff eq." are an introduction to pre-calculus doesn't really compute on this end.

Ok, in my High School, Pre-Calc spans 2 classes - Trig and Intro to Diff Eq.  All students have to take Trig.  Students applying for Engineering college take Intro to Diff Eq.  Students enrolling in architecture take Drafting.  Students enrolling in other college courses or trade school or no idea what they’re gonna do with the rest of their lives take Numerical Methods.

P.S.  Geometry and Alg2 which is the pre-req to Trig is technically part of pre-calc but it’s not noted as such for some reason.

In Eng school, we had to take Numerical Methods and Pre-Calc before we could take Calculus.  But both were easy peasy because we already knew the general concepts.

Edited by anatess2

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Ok, in my High School, Pre-Calc spans 2 classes - Trig and Intro to Diff Eq.  All students have to take Trig.  Students applying for Engineering college take Intro to Diff Eq.  Students enrolling in architecture take Drafting.  Students enrolling in other college courses or trade school or no idea what they’re gonna do with the rest of their lives take Numerical Methods.

I took pre-calc in HS and we covered differentials.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

They used to.  In high school, we were taught how to balance a checkbook (emphasis on never going negative) and how to calculate interest, as well as why racking up credit card interest and unsecured debt was not a good idea.  One assignment was to see how long it would take to pay off a credit card (and the interest) if you immediately charged two thousand dollars, never used the card again, and made only the minimum payments.

Our Home Econ class did not cover credit cards.  I guess it just wasn’t common at that time in the Philippines.  They still don’t cover that in today’s Home Econ and credit card debt is skyrocketing in the Philippines.  They really should adjust that curriculum.

Home Econ is 2 years in my high school for the girls.  Boys only take it for 1 year because they get Shop for the next year (which should be called Home Maintenance if you ask me) - they learn plumbing carpentry and engine in Shop.

Guest Mores
38 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

You're not really giving definitions.  What do you mean when you say "differential equations"?

35 minutes ago, Fether said:

I took pre-calc in HS and we covered differentials.

I'd ask you the same question.

13 minutes ago, Mores said:

You're not really giving definitions.  What do you mean when you say "differential equations"?

Intro to Diff Eq is basically Alg2 on derivatives.  But we're not solving equations in the Intro class.  It's mainly understanding what it means and coming up with equations out of problems.

Edited by anatess2

22 minutes ago, Mores said:

I did some more think and it was actually in the college calc class I took in high school that we did differentials.