Recommended Posts

Here is what is going to happen: 

People will begin to hear about this shortly. It's making the rounds. 
People will believe "fake news" about it's spread, mortality rate, etc. 
People will panic and claim the end is near. You know because reading The Stand, The Left Behind series & The Hot Zone makes everyone an expert in all diseases and end time prophecy. 

When nothing happens and the disease doesn't destroy 99.9% of us, people will go back to their daily lives and go back to ignoring science, so they can get ready to panic about the next big outbreak. 

 

Edited by MormonGator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Here is what is going to happen: 

People will begin to hear about this shortly. It's making the rounds. 
People will believe "fake news" about it's spread, mortality rate, etc. 
People will panic and claim the end is near. You know because reading The Stand, The Left Behind series & The Hot Zone makes everyone an expert in all diseases and end time prophecy. 

When nothing happens and the disease doesn't destroy 99.9% of us, people will go back to their daily lives and go back to ignoring science, so they can get ready to panic about the next big outbreak. 

 

Any preparation we do and include in our emergency storage cannot be a bad thing, but panicking is not something we should do. Wash our hands, avoid crowded places and eat healthy and we will be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Any preparation we do and include in our emergency storage cannot be a bad thing, but panicking is not something we should do. Wash our hands, avoid crowded places and eat healthy and we will be good.

@MormonGator is an optimist!  :)  And he does describe people's typical response to these kinds of things, not just illness, but remember Y2K?   

Still, I live in Washington, near Seattle, so I appreciate the information.  I think face masks are a good thing for people in Washington to have anyway, not just for sicknesses but we live near one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, Mt. Rainer.  We also have Mt. St. Helens.  A little preparedness now, could go a long way later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

Quote

Symptoms
Patients with confirmed 2019-nCoV infection have reportedly had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of:
* fever
* cough
* shortness of breath
CDC believes at this time that symptoms of 2019-nCoV may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 after exposure. This is based on what has been seen previously as the incubation period of MERS viruses.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why all the fuss?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@MormonGator is an optimist!  :)  And he does describe people's typical response to these kinds of things, not just illness, but remember Y2K?   

Thanks Lit! 

Remember those two exchange students we had? They are from China. (Oh yeah, we're hosting again this year!) We've contacted them and right now, they are fine. My BIL is also in China now and he's fine too. So Melissa and I legitimately have loved ones over there, but we're not being paranoid. 

Preparation is a fine thing, we doit for hurricanes. Panic*, though, doesn't help anyone. 

*No one is panicking here, but give it two weeks and you'll see people on other social media sites declaring that the end is near. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Remember those two exchange students we had? They are from China. (Oh yeah, we're hosting again this year!) We've contacted them and right now, they are fine. My BIL is also in China now and he's fine too. So Melissa and I legitimately have loved ones over there, but we're not being paranoid. 

So awesome....I mean about having exchange students again.  I love that you are still in touch with the ones from previous years.  I didn't realize you had family over there too.   My co-worker's wife is from China, I'll have to ask about her familly.  I assume they're fine too, I was thinking that she would appreciate being asked.  :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

Maybe I'm missing something, but why all the fuss?  

There are mixed reports coming in from Asia of dead bodies laying in the streets in China and there are fears of a cover up of how bad this disease may be.

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

There are mixed reports coming in from Asia of dead bodies laying in the streets in China and there are fears of a cover up of how bad this disease may be.

And here we go. I knew it! I knew it!!! 

That's fake news. No, there are no bodies laying in the streets. No, China isn't going through plague 2.0. Tragically, 18 people have died. 18. 

Now Google "flu deaths in 2020". I'll wait. 

Edited by MormonGator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't directed towards you @Emmanuel Goldstein, so don't take it personal. But I'll never understand people who wanted to run to the hills with a shotgun during the Ebola "crisis" (which, in America, killed only two people. Still tragic of course) yet don't get the flu shot or vaccinate their kids. I seriously don't understand it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not the Corona virus, but I've had a cough since before Christmas.  Hanging around people is part of my job, so not really a choice about that.  There is something that is going around where you just can't shake it and the cough stays on interminably...or maybe it's just my age and it's harder to get over colds for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MormonGator said:

And here we go. I knew it! I knew it!!! 

That's fake news. No, there are no bodies laying in the streets. No, China isn't going through plague 2.0. Tragically, 18 people have died. 18. 

Now Google "flu deaths in 2020". I'll wait. 

Seems like it might not be fake news.

 Image result for laying in streets china corona

Image result for laying in streets china corona

Image result for laying in streets china corona

Image result for laying in streets china corona

Image result for laying in streets china corona

Image result for laying in streets china corona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MormonGator said:

This isn't directed towards you @Emmanuel Goldstein, so don't take it personal. But I'll never understand people who wanted to run to the hills with a shotgun during the Ebola "crisis" (which, in America, killed only two people. Still tragic of course) yet don't get the flu shot or vaccinate their kids. I seriously don't understand it. 

Yes, getting a flu vaccine is important, but to accuse someone of fake news, just because you have not seen it, seems a little shortsighted. I am not suggesting running for the hills, but simply to prepare for the eventual need to shelter in place.

Food, water, fuel, medical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Probably not the Corona virus, but I've had a cough since before Christmas.  Hanging around people is part of my job, so not really a choice about that.  There is something that is going around where you just can't shake it and the cough stays on interminably...or maybe it's just my age and it's harder to get over colds for me.

wearing a mask will at least help others feel more at ease. Hope you can get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whelp, better go dust off the NT family ebola response procedures we put into place in 2014.  Fortunately, Facebook has a long memory and I was able to find them pretty easily.

image.png.77284442016cf56dde4c84623df56c08.png

 

Full transparency, we did have real response procedures for our family.  They looked like this: 

- If we hear about it hitting Denver, we'll cut back unnecessary travel and add hand sanitizer to our cars.
- If it hits Colorado Springs, we'll cut back even more.
- If an Ebola death hits Colorado, I'll start working from home, we'll crank up our self-quarantine procedures even more (masks and gloves when shopping/getting gas, etc.)

I don't think it ever made it to Colorado.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

https://nypost.com/2020/01/23/dont-buy-the-media-hype-over-the-new-china-virus/

If you want to panic over this disease, fine. But the truth is that it is no great threat to us. 

Media hype like this really bothers me because it's the classic case of the boy screaming wolf. It happens down here with hurricanes. They hype small ones, tell you the world is ending, then...um...nothing happens. They do this again and again. When something truly dangerous happens-like a category 5 perfect storm hurricane or a deadly outbreak of Lassa Fever-people won't listen. So the wolf will attack. 

I know it's hopeless. People will believe the hype. 

Edited by MormonGator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

https://nypost.com/2020/01/23/dont-buy-the-media-hype-over-the-new-china-virus/

If you want to panic over this disease, fine. But the truth is that it is no great threat to us. 

Media hype like this really bothers me because it's the classic case of the boy screaming wolf. It happens down here with hurricanes. They hype small ones, tell you the world is ending, then...um...nothing happens. They do this again and again. When something truly dangerous happens-like a category 5 perfect storm hurricane or a deadly outbreak of Lassa Fever-people won't listen. So the wolf will attack. 

I know it's hopeless. People will believe the hype. 

But it is on the web, it has to be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of these homemade particle barriers are a pretty cool idea, if the precautions were warranted.   Other designs, well, maybe we should report the death toll from flu, and the death toll from asphyxiating inside their protective equipment.

A mother and child were spotted with plastic bottles on their head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.