Do you fast?

6 hours ago, Aquatic Contraption said:

What about you?

I went the other way.  Growing up, we fasted from going to bed to partaking of the sacrament.   We considered the taking of the sacrament as the breaking the fast moment.

As you can imagine, it was a lot easier when our ward met earlier in the day.  And it was harder when we met later.

I found out years later that this was not how others fasted.  I found out that my parents just made it up because they simply didn't want to fast a full 24 hours.

Once I found out that the standard was the full 24 hours, I changed.  I found it difficult at first.  But eventually I figured it out.  I made sure that I had fully hydrated before beginning the fast.  Over time, I found that the food was of less importance.  I also did a few other dietary changes.

A while back I had to change for medical purposes.  I almost died of dehydration.  The doctor told me that I now have less tolerance for dehydration than the average person. So, I cannot do that.  So, I limit my water to one cup for breakfast, one cup for lunch, and one more cup just before dinner.

What I found within the middle of this is that fasting spiritually isn't simply "doing without food and water."  I read D&C 59 and developed something that worked for me.

Since then, I've had some successful stories where I felt such clarity that I had tremendous revelation that I needed at those times.

No one should be forcing anyone to fast -- especially when there are medical issues involved.  But there are blessings that come with it.  And I find it sad that some people can't fast at all.  They'll never be able to receive those blessings.

11 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

No one should be forcing anyone to fast -- especially when there are medical issues involved.  But there are blessings that come with it.

Agreed on both counts. There are blessings unique to fasting that come in no other way. If you want those blessings, you must fast. If you will not or cannot fast, you cannot receive those blessings.

6 hours ago, Aquatic Contraption said:

I grew up fasting for a full 24 hours every Fast Sunday, and I hated it. So much so, that in my fifties I finally decided I would no longer subject myself to monthly headaches and irritability.

I still pay my fast offering contributions, but I no longer torture myself.

What about you?

Quite the opposite. I tried to fast from childhood, but my family didn't really do a 24-hour fast. I tried my first 24-hour fast when I was 15 and preparing for my patriarchal blessing. It didn't go too well. I got a whopper of a headache, as you mention, and threw up later after shamefully gorging myself.

Later on, as an adult, I decided I should learn to fast for real. So I did. It took me a long time, years or even decades; had I applied myself sooner and more forcefully, I would have had better results much sooner. I have learned that fasting is a magnificent act, a time to ignore the petty things of the world (including food) and let the flesh go on its own while I try to nourish my spirit. I do not claim any exceptional insights from or results due to fasting, but I have gained personal insights and seen results, however non-exceptional they may seem to others.

As for the headaches: They go away. They're a temporary thing, a childish tantrum your body is throwing because it wants more blood sugar and you hurt its feelings by not giving it more. After you get used to fasting, your body learns not to freak out, and there is no headache. Actually, it feels restful and rather good to fast. Twenty-four hours is the prescribed fast for religious purposes, and I don't think you'll find any apostles or prophets (certainly not recent) who will say to fast beyond that. But I have had very encouraging results fasting for longer periods, up to a week. I should have been more diligent in pursuing fasting, but I have allowed other concerns to crowd it out. I will get back to it. (To be fair, I was very sick last year and hospitalized for over a month, so fasting beyond my already losing 60 pounds seemed, mmmm, I guess unwise. Now that I've regained most of that lard, I think long fasts are in order again.)

Three years ago, I wrote in another thread:

On 5/4/2020 at 12:39 PM, Vort said:

Another example I can bring up is the monthly fast. (Yes, this is an issue I have addressed multiple times in the past. If you're interested, here's my most recent post on the matter from about sixteen months ago.) Now I am in no position to judge individuals in this matter, so I make no such pretense. But I have eyes in my head and a brain in my skull. I have observed myself very closely over the years. I have observed family members, friends, fellow ward members, and congregations I have visited. I have observed in-laws, both my own and those of my children and relatives. And what I have noticed is that Church members very often make up excuses for why they cannot or will not fast. It's often the idea that they have low blood sugar or diabetic intolerance or that fasting makes them feel bad, so instead they'll give up something else like watching TV for Sunday, and THAT will count exactly the same as a fast. Because that's what a fast is, really. Sacrificing something. Right?

No. Not right.

From what I can see, people don't fast because they don't like it. Going without food and drink, even for a short 24-hour period, makes them feel weak and achy and uncomfortable. But as I have often quoted President Woodruff as having said:

It was remarked this morning that some people said they could not fast because it made their head ache. Well, I can fast, and so can any other man; and if it makes my head ache by keeping the commandments of God, let it ache.

How many blessings do we completely miss out on because we Just Won't Fast? I don't think it's right to berate ward or family members for not fasting. That is not my place, and it is not what I'm trying to do. But it doesn't take a genius or a prophet to look at what's going on and realize that, as a people, we appear not to keep the monthly fast as we should. Is this not another example of creeping mediocrity that ends up being oh-so-ironically justified as some kind of virtue?

I think I still agree with my 57-year-old self.

14 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

We considered the taking of the sacrament as the breaking the fast moment.

My aunt does this (I learned a few weeks ago).  New idea to me - I've never done it myself, nor heard of it.  For those of us who meet at 9am, that's either a really short fast, or we're fasting on Saturday instead of Sunday...

17 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I read D&C 59 and developed something that worked for me.

I have found that studying every scripture reference to a concept with the intent to learn from the Holy Ghost (not just learn what the scripture says, but abstract it to apply to me and learn whatever else the Spirit can teach me as I study) - and recording it (really studying, not reading) can teach me things I never expected.  This would be my recommendation to anyone who struggles to live any gospel principle.  For that matter, it's my recommendation to anyone who thinks they've nailed a gospel principle1. :)

20 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

No one should be forcing anyone to fast -- especially when there are medical issues involved.  But there are blessings that come with it.  And I find it sad that some people can't fast at all.  They'll never be able to receive those blessings.

Not everyone would be so gentle in their assessment...  (Just ask @Vort...)

On 11/6/2011 at 10:38 PM, Vort said:

In 1894, President Wilford Woodruff said:

It was remarked this morning that some people said they could not fast because it made their head ache. Well, I can fast, and so can any other man; and if it makes my head ache by keeping the commandments of God, let it ache.

:D

Yes, I fast the full 24 hours.  Like @Carborendum, I find water the harder part, so I deliberately hydrate the Saturday before.  I also found the timing that works best for me - from 1800 to 1800.  Keeping busy with things that I find interesting also keeps me from noticing hunger.

1 (Unrelated topic) In 3 Nephi 15 & 16 (Christ teaching about his "other sheep" and how the apostles didn't understand what that meant - though they thought they did, and basically, God the Father was content to leave them in their misconception):

18 And now, because of stiffneckedness and unbelief they understood not my word; therefore I was commanded to say no more of the Father concerning this thing unto them.

20 And verily, I say unto you again that the other tribes hath the Father separated from them; and it is because of their iniquity that they know not of them.

22 And they understood me not, for they supposed it had been the Gentiles; for they understood not that the Gentiles should be converted through their preaching.

16:4 And I command you that ye shall write these sayings after I am gone, that if it so be that my people at Jerusalem, they who have seen me and been with me in my ministry, do not ask the Father in my name, that they may receive a knowledge of you by the Holy Ghost, and also of the other tribes whom they know not of, that these sayings which ye shall write shall be kept and shall be manifested unto the Gentiles, that through the fulness of the Gentiles, the remnant of their seed, who shall be scattered forth upon the face of the earth because of their unbelief, may be brought in, or may be brought to a knowledge of me, their Redeemer.

In short, don't be so sure you understand what you think you understand...

7 hours ago, Aquatic Contraption said:

I grew up fasting for a full 24 hours every Fast Sunday, and I hated it. So much so, that in my fifties I finally decided I would no longer subject myself to monthly headaches and irritability.

I still pay my fast offering contributions, but I no longer torture myself.

What about you?

Yes I still fast, but not 24 hours without food. I’ll skip breakfast, skip lunch and then eat a normal dinner with no dessert. I do drink water during the day though. 

22 minutes ago, zil2 said:

Meanwhile, is anyone else hungry, or is it just me? :P

I just ate.

I now get gourmet ramen packages sent to me on the regular.  My daughter just decided to make a bunch to share with the family.  Most of my family loves it.  It's a lot better than the Maruchan or Nissin that most people eat (bleah).  But my wife still hates the gourmet stuff.  Maybe it's genetic.

The one down-side is that I don't have nearly as much kim-chee.  I used to get a list of items from the H-Mart whenever I run out of ramen.  But H-Mart raised the price of ramen by a huge margin (inflation).  But I found it at the old price on Amazon.

Now I haven't had any kim-chee in over 6 months.  That's a kind of fast isn't it?  I've sacrificed KIM CHEE!!!  AAARRRGGGHHH!!!  No, it is a sacrifice if it is done voluntarily.

Anyway.  Fasting...

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Maybe it's genetic.

My aunt claims that people who grew up in the US (for example) lack certain [somethings - amino acids? proteins? I forget] to allow them to digest, for example, soy.  So maybe it is genetic.

Meanwhile, Klaw would like me to abstain from typing while he's using my arm as a pillow...

2 minutes ago, zil2 said:

My aunt claims that people who grew up in the US (for example) lack certain [somethings - amino acids? proteins? I forget] to allow them to digest, for example, soy.  So maybe it is genetic.

If you eat any processed foods on the regular, chances are, you're eating soy.

2 minutes ago, zil2 said:

Meanwhile, Klaw would like me to abstain from typing while he's using my arm as a pillow...

Well, one does.

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

If you eat any processed foods on the regular, chances are, you're eating soy.

I know.  She doesn't eat such foods - she's gonna outlive us all.  That was just an example.  Her point was that where you matured and your genetics impact how your body processes foods and you may not have the right [whatever they were] in your digestive system to process certain foods.

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Well, one does.

:D The other arm is free...

15 minutes ago, zil2 said:

Her point was that where you matured and your genetics impact how your body processes foods and you may not have the right [whatever they were] in your digestive system to process certain foods.

I don't know how many years qualifies as "where you matured".  I grew up partially in Korea and partially in the US.  And I still have a problem with milk.  I had a problem with it as a kid.  How many years?  

This was during a time when the concept / diagnosis of "lactose intolerance" was unknown to the common man.  And MSG was not a term known to the average American.

My brother and I would regularly have contests on how much milk we could drink.  He always won.  I always ended up in the bathroom "forever" if you get my drift.

Sometimes I actually forget that it is fast Sunday, but usually I do fast, and yes, it is for a full 24 hours. I start on Saturday afternoon around 4:00, and then eat again for Sunday dinner. The hardest part for me is actually the few hours of Saturday. The Sunday portion is much easier for some reason.

4 hours ago, Vort said:

If you will not or cannot fast, you cannot receive those blessings.

Can you expound on this, particularly the bolded?

Certainly if one point blank will not fast, well....I'd say loss salvation is perhaps the larger concern. But literally cannot?

I was going to address this to @aquatic contraption but the reference will not link:

I fast.  My fasting has evolved over time.  One great experience was a 40 day fast from all the food and trappings of civilization – partaking only of what G-d would provide in a wilderness.  I believe the reason we are commanded to fast is because, as odd as it seems, it helps us focus one the spiritual.  A real fast cannot be achieved by going without food and drink but requires reverent prayer.

Once when teaching youth in a Sunday school class about the fasting and prayer – I discovered that the entire class had never been taught about actual fasting and prayer.  While having a discussion about fasting, one of the class members talked about a cousin that undergoing treatments for cancer.   We decided to fast and pray as a class for the cousin.  Our fast would be on the next Thursday and we would meet later that day as a class after school to have prayer together for the cousin – then that night the class could break the fast with their family at dinner. 

I was surprised that not only did the entire class fast, but they also recruited other friends at school to fast with them.  Most that fasted showed up for prayer.  There were a lot of tears.  I also explained that if we share our testimonies on fast Sunday we should only do so in the attitude of fasting and prayer.

A few weeks later, on the following fast Sunday the entire class that was involved shared their testimonies of the fast – I was very moved and believed that lives were changed because of fasting and prayers.  I am convinced that those that have difficulty fasting – have never done so with a heartfelt purpose for fasting and prayer.  I would be quite disappointed if anyone has never has a reason for fasting and prayer.

I will make a suggestion for those endowed with a heartful purpose.   I suggest that you fast and pray before going to a temple endowment session.  Before the session place your own name on the temple prayer roll and during the session participant in the order of prayer.  When your session is completed remain in the temple for a time to mediate and listen to the spirit for an answer to your purpose.  If for nothing else – consider it a scientific experiment.

The Traveler

4 hours ago, Aquatic Contraption said:

My experience was always negative and left me feeling irritable and resentful. 

Out of curiosity, assuming the only two options were disobedience or obedience but irritable and resentful, do you think the Lord prefers the first to the latter?

52 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:
5 hours ago, Vort said:

If you will not or cannot fast, you cannot receive those blessings.

Can you expound on this, particularly the bolded?

Over the years, I have heard literally dozens of Saints claim that they cannot fast without grave risk of injury or death. In my experience, you can probably find a half-dozen or more in the average ward. I have my private doubts in many cases, but it's not my judgment to make. If one truly cannot fast without risk of serious injury or death, that person had probably best not fast, even if it means not receiving the blessings specific to the fast. That's all I meant.

I physically can't fast anymore. 

I bleed from my sinuses due to a lifetime of injury and illness, and I also burn extra calories to compensate for lack of sleep (I can have as little as 4 hours' sleep Saturday night into Sunday morning due to how early I get up). So if I try to fast, it doesn't go very well. 

But I do still kick in a token amount as my fast offering alongside my tithing. 

Cleverly enough, this week's Come, Follow Me chapter includes Acts 10, which is the story of Cornelius, who was fasting - v30 (and praying, thank you, @Traveler), whose fast resulted in Simon Peter having a vision and opening the way for the gospel to be preached to all nations.  You might could argue that the gospel would have gone to all whether Cornelius fasted or not, but I don't think you could argue that Cornelius would have been central to that event had he not been the sort given to fasting and prayer.