Another Utah influencer arrested, or, pride cycles

Backroads

Jodi Hildebrandt is a therapist and the Church would refer members to her. There were countless allegations against Hilderbrandt and this is one of the reasons why she had her license put on probation by the Utah Clinical Mental Health Counselor Licensing Board for 18 months. The allegations are very serious in nature. This is the reason why (even though some people get upset with me) I always suggest that if you need to choose a mental health counselor/therapist/psychologist for you or a loved one please, please, please don't do it only based on Church membership.

29 minutes ago, Suzie said:

Jodi Hildebrandt is a therapist and the Church would refer members to her. There were countless allegations against Hilderbrandt and this is one of the reasons why she had her license put on probation by the Utah Clinical Mental Health Counselor Licensing Board for 18 months. The allegations are very serious in nature. This is the reason why (even though some people get upset with me) I always suggest that if you need to choose a mental health counselor/therapist/psychologist for you or a loved one please, please, please don't do it only based on Church membership.

My only issue with your last sentence is it appears you are implying that only LDS counselors are abusers.  As you will see below, that is not the case. 

Doing due diligence in your research for any counselor is wise.

Therapist sex abuse case reveals dark past, ethical concerns (boston.com)

Wisconsin therapist charged with sexual exploitation of a client | Fox News

Counselor at Boulder Mental Health Facility Arrested for Sexual Assault, Police Looking For Other Victims – Citizens Commission on Human Rights of Colorado (psychiatricfraud.org)

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Bad thereapists aren't a Mormon thing, but a human thing.   Just because someone is standing in a garage, it doesn't make them a car.

I’ve met many people who have an odd fear of counseling and therapy. I’m not sure why-is it just a generation gap?

Edited by LDSGator

55 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I’ve met many people who have an odd fear of counseling and therapy. I’m not sure why-is it just a generation gap?

What you call fear may simply be a recognition that the supposed "science" of psychology is no such thing, and hasn't been in probably two generations. We have licensed as "therapists" and "counselors" people who accept highly speculative and brittle models of human interactions and the human psyche, and who lead their patients to evil ends using the imprimatur of their supposed authority.

Good, useful counselors exist. Perhaps even good, useful therapists exist. But the psychological community as a whole is unmoored and drifting aimlessly and dangerously. I would not trust such people to sit my dog, much less to advise my children.

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

What you call fear may simply be a recognition that the supposed "science" of psychology is no such thing, and hasn't been in probably two generations. We have licensed as "therapists" and "counselors" people who accept highly speculative and brittle models of human interactions and the human psyche, and who lead their patients to evil ends using the imprimatur of their supposed authority.

Good, useful counselors exist. Perhaps even good, useful therapists exist. But the psychological community as a whole is unmoored and drifting aimlessly and dangerously. I would not trust such people to sit my dog, much less to advise my children.

Very interesting. Thanks. 

11 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Bad thereapists aren't a Mormon thing, but a human thing.   Just because someone is standing in a garage, it doesn't make them a car.

Perhaps that would explain why it was so difficult trying to drive the neighbours dog the other day?

12 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I think, these days, practically anyone can get some certificate or another to make it appear they are a counselor or therapist. @Vort is right this is a very muddied science these days, and add in "I can give you my thoughts and advice" from any Rando.

I've also met people who simply don't believe in it, that their private business is theirs alone to figure out. 

Edit: I'd also add that therapy is weirdly popular these days. On one hand, I think seeking help from a good therapist is great for many people. But I also get suspicious when things are too popular. 

On a personal and petty note, I have weird mock prejudice against the people of Salt Lake and Utah counties. That these two were operating out of that area where all sorts of weirdos are seeking special treatment for their weird issues (I am so sorry but this is the impression I have!) makes me think of, well, weird people and weird therapists.

Edited by Backroads

19 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I think, these days, practically anyone can get some certificate or another to make it appear they are a counselor or therapist. @Vort is right this is a very muddied science these days, and add in "I can give you my thoughts and advice" from any Rando.

I've also met people who simply don't believe in it, that their private business is theirs alone to figure out. 

Edit: I'd also add that therapy is weirdly popular these days. On one hand, I think seeking help from a good therapist is great for many people. But I also get suspicious when things are too popular. 

On a personal and petty note, I have weird mock prejudice against the people of Salt Lake and Utah counties. That these two were operating out of that area where all sorts of weirdos are seeking special treatment for their weird issues (I am so sorry but this is the impression I have!) makes me think of, well, weird people and weird therapists.

Interesting. 

I have no issue with those who are afraid/uncomfortable with it. It’s their life and they are allowed to do as they wish. I think it’s a silly thing to be uncomfortable with (so silly that I’m not sure what to say, to be honest) but if that’s how someone wants to live, knock yourself out. 

32 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I have weird mock prejudice against the people of Salt Lake and Utah counties.

Ooh!  Knife to the heart!  @mirkwood, @Traveler, and I are never speaking to you again!  (Unless our therapists insist otherwise...) :P

12 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I have no issue with those who are afraid/uncomfortable with it. It’s their life and they are allowed to do as they wish. I think it’s a silly thing to be uncomfortable with (so silly that I’m not sure what to say, to be honest) but if that’s how someone wants to live, knock yourself out. 

I think @Backroads is describing a Utah phenomenon - pretty sure we're the scam capital of the world (though maybe that's changed, not sure) - and this makes for people ripe for corrupt therapists....  I also suspect it's a generational thing - from my parents' generation and back, needing a psychologist was surely stigmatized.  I think my generation is the one where this started to change, so my generation is mixed on the topic and younger generations don't have said concerns (as much?).  Apparently it's also cultural - a friend in the UK, younger than I once told me that seeking psychological help of any sort was looked down on there (at least, where she was).

21 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Interesting. 

The only time I thought "not my thing" was too extreme was a person who insisted he would rather get a divorce than go to a sex therapist. I get that's very different field of counseling, but I have also been aware of it saving marriages.

1 minute ago, zil2 said:

sure we're the scam capital of the world

I totally agree with you there. Utah is notorious for affinity fraud and MLM schemes. 

In fact, my friend who passed away several years ago became an attorney because his elderly parents lost all their money in a pyramid scheme they found out about through their local ward. 😞 

4 minutes ago, zil2 said:

I think @Backroads is describing a Utah phenomenon - pretty sure we're the scam capital of the world (though maybe that's changed, not sure) - and this makes for people ripe for corrupt therapists....  I also suspect it's a generational thing - from my parents' generation and back, needing a psychologist was surely stigmatized.  I think my generation is the one where this started to change, so my generation is mixed on the topic and younger generations don't have said concerns (as much?).  Apparently it's also cultural - a friend in the UK, younger than I once told me that seeking psychological help of any sort was looked down on there (at least, where she was).

I really do see some therapies as scams, and I'm one that leans to the side of therapy, when well-researched, being a good thing. I don't know if we are the scam capital of the world still, but Utah still falls for scams, and I think that is definitely what happened with this whole Connexions things. 

On the note of stigma, I saw a joke once comparing generations. One was Back in the day: What if someone finds out I had to see a therapist vs Today: Guess what my therapist told me!

2 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I totally agree with you there. Utah is notorious for affinity fraud and MLM schemes. 

In fact, my friend who passed away several years ago became an attorney because his elderly parents lost all their money in a pyramid scheme they found out about through their local ward. 😞 

My brother's side gig is messing with scammers and posting about them on YouTube. Family and friends are always calling him to ask if something is suspect.

5 minutes ago, Backroads said:

It’s a very sweet and cuddly story. 

However, it’s not a good idea to interact with people who ask you for money right away. In fact, my concern is that this story might make older or naive people more likely to send money to places they shouldn’t. 😞 

19 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

It’s a very sweet and cuddly story. 

However, it’s not a good idea to interact with people who ask you for money right away. In fact, my concern is that this story might make older or naive people more likely to send money to places they shouldn’t. 😞 

I think there were a few consequences of that where he had to basically say he was a trouble-maker millennial and to be careful with such thins.

A big scam going around now is the person getting a message they won the lottery.  They just have to pay the tax money to have the millions of dollars in prize money released to them.

This is not how lotteries work.  They take the taxes out of the prize money before they give it to you.  You do not have to pay any money up front to have lottery money released to you.

One person told a story about two older ladies (around the age of 80) that paid $20,000 about to get the "millions" they won in prize money released to them.  They were ripped off.