Today is my younger brother's birthday. Thought you might enjoy the image

Vort

Generational humor:

1. Boomer's: Variations of "I hate my wife ..."

2. Millenials: Variations of "I hate my life ..."

3. Gen Z: Variations of "Butter knife ..."

Explanations:

1. Boomers often struggled in their marriages and find jokes about them funny.

2. Millenials tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves and grieve about every malady facing the world.

3. Gen Z are rebelling against millenial angst (often from their teachers) by irreverently joking about everything and anything.

Edited by prisonchaplain

10 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Generational humor:

1. Boomer's: Variations of "I hate my wife ..."

2. Millenials: Variations of "I hate my life ..."

3. Gen Z: Variations of "Butter knife ..."

Explanations:

2. Millenials tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves and grieve about every malady facing the world.

3. Gen Z are rebelling against millenial angst (often from their teachers) by irreverently joking about everything and anything.

What about Generations X and Y?

(According to the strict definition I'm a Boomer - but only just.)

According to some random website an internet search found for me...

• Baby boomers are anyone born from 1946 to 1964.
  • Generation X is anyone born from 1965 to 1980.
  • Millennials are anyone born from 1981 to 1996.
  • Generation Z is anyone born from 1997 to 2012.

This suggests, logically speaking, as someone who is OK with the alphabet continuing in the form it's been for ages, that millennials are Gen Y.  Whiners couldn't deal with "Gen Y" and had to claim "millennials" even though they weren't born in the last or first year of any millennium.  (Is this going to cause millennial readers to have a melt down?)

Anyway, if you can believe my parents and the state in which I was born, I'm apparently "Gen X".  I don't think I knew that until after Gen Z were born, though...  But to the point:

2 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

We don't joke about Gen-X. Ever!

Why not?  I am perfectly OK with you cracking jokes about me.  I'm a very funny person.  (Assuming I actually am a person.  I think it's possible I'm an android placed on the wrong planet and this whole "she's a gen x person" thing is a conspiracy...)

Edited by zil2

21 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I often hear this and wonder, why did they struggle so much in their marriages?

(No offense to Vort's original humorous post, but I'm one for those darn milennials (Or Gen Yers) who think the Boomers complain far more than my generation, so serious answers like this intrigue me).

1 hour ago, Backroads said:

(No offense to Vort's original humorous post, but I'm one for those darn milennials (Or Gen Yers) who think the Boomers complain far more than my generation, so serious answers like this intrigue me).

FWIW, I think the whole generational division and naming is absurd beyond words. I'm technically (by the above definition*) a Boomer, and my wife is technically a Gen Xer. She derives great enjoyment telling me and others about how I'm from the generation before her. I wouldn't want to ruin her fun, but it's a good illustration of the ridiculousness of the generational naming that media has given us. Something else to divide us.

*When I first heard the "baby boomers" label, it was strictly applied to those born between 1946 and 1962, an 18-year period. Since I managed to avoid birth until just baaaarely after 1962, I was happy to be safe from the ridiculous "boomer" label. Until they relabeled things, that is.

17 minutes ago, Vort said:

When I first heard the "baby boomers" label, it was strictly applied to those born between 1946 and 1962, an 18-year period. Since I managed to avoid birth until just baaaarely after 1962, I was happy to be safe from the ridiculous "boomer" label. Until they relabeled things, that is.

I was born in 1964 so by the modern definition I'm a Boomer - though only just. People who were in the same year as me at school are technically GenXers. It does seem a silly definition though - the name implies people conceived shortly after the war when couples were reunited and immediately made up for lost time. I was conceived around Christmas 1963*, by which time the war had been over nearly 20 years.

*Counting back 9 months from my birth. My parents never told me my conception day!

26 minutes ago, Vort said:

FWIW, I think the whole generational division and naming is absurd beyond words. I'm technically (by the above definition*) a Boomer, and my wife is technically a Gen Xer. She derives great enjoyment telling me and others about how I'm from the generation before her. I wouldn't want to ruin her fun, but it's a good illustration of the ridiculousness of the generational naming that media has given us. Something else to divide us.

*When I first heard the "baby boomers" label, it was strictly applied to those born between 1946 and 1962, an 18-year period. Since I managed to avoid birth until just baaaarely after 1962, I was happy to be safe from the ridiculous "boomer" label. Until they relabeled things, that is.

I don't know how on earth a "generation" category is so freaking long that someone born at the beginning of that generation could credibly give birth a person born at the end of that generation and both be considered the same generation.

What ever happened to decades being the defining social characteristic?

1 hour ago, Jamie123 said:

I was born in 1964 so by the modern definition I'm a Boomer - though only just. People who were in the same year as me at school are technically GenXers. It does seem a silly definition though - the name implies people conceived shortly after the war when couples were reunited and immediately made up for lost time. I was conceived around Christmas 1963*, by which time the war had been over nearly 20 years.

*Counting back 9 months from my birth. My parents never told me my conception day!

LOL!

My wife was pregnant with our fifth child.  And the midwives were trying to inquire about the last cycle to project a birthdate for our son.  

While my wife was humming and hawing, I told them the date of conception.  It had been a couple months, so they were bewildered how I knew.  

It was my birthday.😁

Edited by Carborendum

2 hours ago, Backroads said:

I often hear this and wonder, why did they struggle so much in their marriages?

Boomers were a large cohort and fairly entitled. I believe it's the first generation that reached 50% divorce. TIME Magazine did an article on this generation and one of the quotes was "Ronald Reagan stuck around longer than my dad." 

1 hour ago, Vort said:

It's worse than you think. I was born in '64 and was part of the Baby Bust. However, so few of us were born that we got lumped in with the Boomers. 😞

1 hour ago, prisonchaplain said:

Boomers were a large cohort and fairly entitled. I believe it's the first generation that reached 50% divorce. TIME Magazine did an article on this generation and one of the quotes was "Ronald Reagan stuck around longer than my dad." 

I shouldn't have laughed, but that's funny.

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

LOL!

My wife was pregnant with our fifth child.  And the midwives were trying to inquire about the last cycle to project a birthdate for our son.  

While my wife was humming and hawing, I told them the date of conception.  It had been a couple months, so they were bewildered how I knew.  

It was my birthday.😁

So, despite two forms of birth control, I am currently pregnant. Conception date? My dad's birthday. I'm a little weirded out by it.

2 hours ago, Vort said:

I'm trying to figure out what we're trying to achieve with the generation labels. I like to think it's an observation of values and behavior over time, but that seems such a spectrum...

32 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I'm trying to figure out what we're trying to achieve with the generation labels. I like to think it's an observation of values and behavior over time, but that seems such a spectrum...

Pretty sure "we" are trying to accomplish what we always do: divide and conquer.  Deal with stereotypes rather than individuals.  Get all upset - or tell other people not to get all upset or make other people all upset.  Or some similar nonsense.

15 hours ago, zil2 said:

According to some random website an internet search found for me...

• Baby boomers are anyone born from 1946 to 1964.
  • Generation X is anyone born from 1965 to 1980.
  • Millennials are anyone born from 1981 to 1996.
  • Generation Z is anyone born from 1997 to 2012.

This suggests, logically speaking, as someone who is OK with the alphabet continuing in the form it's been for ages, that millennials are Gen Y.  Whiners couldn't deal with "Gen Y" and had to claim "millennials" even though they weren't born in the last or first year of any millennium.  (Is this going to cause millennial readers to have a melt down?)

A couple of boomer scholars first called us "Millennials" in 1991. The name is a reference to the fact that we came of age in the beginning of the new millenium. The world changed so rapidly during our adolescent and early adult years that some of us were given the distinction of being a "micro-generation", the Xennials (because many of us relate more to Gen X than Y) or geriatric Millennials. This is where I fall. 

I also recently learned that kids born from 2010-2025 are being identified as Generation Alpha. I'm guessing that the following generation, which is a few years away from being born, will be Generation Beta.

My wife has a interesting ability to remember dates, numbers, and events...  Which is great because that means I only have to remember her birthday and our anniversary and she'll remind me of anything else I need to know.

Our Daughter just turned 18 and in the course of talking about her and birthdays she told us she did the math and figured she was a Valentine's baby.  I'm like sure OK that works I guess.  But my wife was like nope.  My birthday is several days before Valentine... and my darling daughter is a birthday baby as well.  

1 hour ago, estradling75 said:

My wife has a interesting ability to remember dates, numbers, and events...  Which is great because that means I only have to remember her birthday and our anniversary and she'll remind me of anything else I need to know.

Our Daughter just turned 18 and in the course of talking about her and birthdays she told us she did the math and figured she was a Valentine's baby.  I'm like sure OK that works I guess.  But my wife was like nope.  My birthday is several days before Valentine... and my darling daughter is a birthday baby as well.  

Saint Valentine was not only the saint of soppy love letters and chocolates and furry elephants holding love hearts, and ridiculously priced cards and pastel-pink balloons which will end up on the trash tomorrow. Oh no. He is also the patron saint of bee keepers.

I just thought that would bee an interesting fact to mention...

Honey Bee Royalty-free Cartoon, PNG, 4371x4158px, Bee, Area, Artwork ...