Cremation Or Burial?

I have told my wife that I want to be cremated. It irritates her, and she usually gives me "The church doesn't do cremations..." 'argument', but that's what I want. One time she asked "Why?". I told her I couldn't stand the thought of being stuck in a dark cramped space. Then we were watching "The Bucket List" last week when that exact same "idea" came up in the movie. I guess I will have to put it in my will about how I want to be disposed of.

Jon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question I wish somebody could answer. One of my friends in the ward most likely will pass on in the next year or two. He does not have any family and really does not have any money for burial arraignments (except he does have a burial plot). In this case, will the Church step in and help?

I have a question I wish somebody could answer. One of my friends in the ward most likely will pass on in the next year or two. He does not have any family and really does not have any money for burial arraignments (except he does have a burial plot). In this case, will the Church step in and help?

I would think so, as endowed members typically have a lot of church involvement anyway what with the temple clothing being put on etc. But who knows? Every ward differs on their level of involvement.

I would ask some of your ward leaders about this in private. If there are no plans to help, perhaps you can get a plan going in your head for some sort of fund raiser or benefit that could be quickly put into action once he passes on.

had a catholic nun tell me that people who are cremated cant be resurrected cause their bodies were too destroyed...I was like "What about all those saints burned at the stake? :lol:

My opinion is burrial, but thats because I like to have something and a place to visit to remember. An urn just wouldnt be the same. And only like 65% of the body is actually ashed...the rest is just tossed in bio-trash.

• 1 year later...

My mom is dying and I was searching for info on death as she had not prepaired for her passing. Funny thing though she has had 20 years to prepair as she has renal failure. So the option of cremation came up and from what I searched there is a ritual that needs to take place but no information about it (probibly temple related). So does anyone have a clue as to what takes place in a LDS cremation?

Nothing different than a regular burial. The church doesn't recommend cremation, but there's not really anything wrong with it.

Actually the church has no stance on it at all. For my sister and my MIL, we cremated them both, which was their wishes. We had no problem at all with the RS in assisting with the dressing of them in their temple whites, or with the Bishops officiating at their memorials.

My sister and my MIL chose cremation because of the cost. My husband and I wish to be cremated as well. Again the one and only factor in our choosing cremation is cost. We don't want to be a financial burden at death.

For me, I prefer cremation as it's less expensive, and uses less land than a burial does. I think that the younger generations are more accepting of cremation than earlier generations because churches have started to allow the practice, even if the ashes are buried in a cemetery or interred in a mausoleum. Many who request cremation do so because they want to spare their families from having to go into debt to pay the expense of a burial.

Interesting topic. In Judaism we are very much against cremation. The reason is because we believe that the spirit doesn't immediately depart the body (takes a little time) and that cremation inflicts on the person a pain that is beyond their wildest imagination. So we don't cremate in order to spare people the agony. Some say that this is merely superstition but I would definetely want to be on the safe side since no-one really knows for sure. :)

I propose that bodies be burried and a fruit tree be planted at the site, which will be fertilized by the organic components of the body. This brings life where death was and the fruit feeds others be it people or animals.

Not sure I want to eat fruit fertilized by Uncle George, pehaps a nice flower garden instead.

The church doesn't recommend cremation, but there's not really anything wrong with it.

I did some research on this. The best answer is the choice is up to the discretion of the deceased individual's family. The chapel service need not be affected by the alternate disposal of the remains part.

I actually learned something in this. I was brought up with the understanding that the Church was totally against cremations. So interesting to read the actual perspective on it.

I do not know how important money is when one dies but here is a thought. As a final act of love, service and sacrifice one could donate their body to a medical university. There is not cost and the medical schools have a great need ever since a federal law was passed that the homeless could not be disposed of in that manner.

The Traveler

As a physician, I share and applaud your decision. I will likely pursue the same path. However, in the spirit of full disclosure, you are cremated after the students are done with you ;)

Cheers

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
Hidden

You know, some time ago it stopped making sense to me to preserve dead bodies. I'd rather be put in the ground in a natural state or cremated. Preserving a corpse just makes no sense to me any more.

By the way; I keep seeing quotes from Church leaders saying cremation is "not encouraged," but it is not forbidden. So your friend is right about that.

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/h...emation_EOM.htm

As Van Hale said,

On a different note: At one time, when we lived in Nashville, I wanted to be fed to the white tigers at the zoo when I died. Wouldn't that be cool? Picture a cub scout troop touring the zoo; they get to the tiger exhibit and two keepers hurl my corpse into the cage, the tigers pounce... :lol:

This quote is actually by Roger R. Keller, associate professor of Church history and doctrine at Brigham Young University, in the article titled "I have a question". Van Hale was the person who responded in the first half of the article.

Please include more information next time you provide a citation. I've been looking everywhere for this kind of info online and I had to search for quite a while on lds.org to find this particular quote. Thanks for the quote though! It was very helpful.

You know, some time ago it stopped making sense to me to preserve dead bodies. I'd rather be put in the ground in a natural state or cremated. Preserving a corpse just makes no sense to me any more.

By the way; I keep seeing quotes from Church leaders saying cremation is "not encouraged," but it is not forbidden. So your friend is right about that.

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/h...emation_EOM.htm

As Van Hale said,

On a different note: At one time, when we lived in Nashville, I wanted to be fed to the white tigers at the zoo when I died. Wouldn't that be cool? Picture a cub scout troop touring the zoo; they get to the tiger exhibit and two keepers hurl my corpse into the cage, the tigers pounce... :lol:

This quote is actually by Roger R. Keller, associate professor of Church history and doctrine at Brigham Young University, in the article titled "I have a question". Van Hale was the person who responded in the first half of the article.

Please include more information next time you provide a citation. I've been looking everywhere for this kind of info online and I had to search for quite a while on lds.org to find this particular quote. Thanks for the quote though! It was very helpful.

A lot of people agree that the body is useless once we die. That is doesn't serve a purpose anymore and that even if we are cremated it won't stop God from being able to ressurect our bodies to perfection in the end.

In my mind, this is like saying it's okay to get tattos and body piercings, because our bodies will be resurrected to perfection.

The quote provided earlier in the thread states "Church leaders have counseled that only in unusual circumstances or where required by law should cremation take place." (Ensign, Aug 1991, "I have a Question".) This information isn't just the opinion of the author of the quote, it comes from the church's General Handbook of Instructions from 1989. However, new editions of the handbook have been recently released, so perhaps the leaders have changed this information.

In the end it is ultimately up to the individual to deside. But I don't think we should take counsel from our leaders lightly and lable it as a "suggestion" or "encouragment".

OK

You ask any person in the business and they will tell you that cremation is just as costly as any Plane Jaen funeral. (No trimmings)

Sorry to dispute you however I'll let the facts speak for themselves:

My 'plain Jane' funeral for my Mother was just over $8K (embalming, cheap casket, opening/closing grave that already had a vault and headstone, with no showing and only a grave site service preformed by me, whereas my oldest brothers cremation 4 years later was $1200 including a decent urn (nothing real fancy but not a cardboard box either)

ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Cremation for me!

Edited to add I see now this was an old posting reopened by someone.

Edited by mnn727

Church Handbook of Instructions Volume 2 - 21.3.2 Cremation

The Church does not normally encourage cremation. The family of the deceased must decide whether the body should be cremated, taking into account any laws governing burial or cremation. In some countries, the law requires cremation.

Where possible, the body of a deceased member who has been endowed should be dressed in temple clothing when it is cremated. A funeral service may be held.

This is from the latest CHI and overrides anything else printed anywhere in the past and appears to me that the Church is loosening up greatly in its stance on cremation.

Edited by mnn727