Caffeine is okay!

skippy740

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hubby was pouring himself some Dr. P the other night when the missionaries were over for dinner. The one from Utah just looked completely shocked that he was doing so. LOL his mouth was hanging open. So I said, "oh yeah, no one has told you yet that around here a person can drink soda and still be considered in good standing." :o

Although I do think the word of wisdom is a base line to go by, there are some things that we as individuals can not eat in order to maintain good health. I, for example, should not have caffeine because it makes my heart jump around though a little bit of chocolate every now and then seems to be okay. Some others I know cant eat seeds because they cause intestinal issues for them. So while the WOW and current doctrine on it teach the letter of the law of health, we must also remember the spirit of that law...that we are responsible to maintain our health by eating and drinking for the purpose of caring for our bodies (temples for our spirits), not just to please our tastebuds.

I think soda in moderation is fine. Heavily drinking it though can cause a lot of problems that may or may not be associated with caffeine, for example your teeth. I love hubby dearly but he does drink quite a bit more soda than I think he should as it melts his teeth. My dentist agrees with me. His dental issues are appalling. :( My kids don't drink very much of it and my youngest is 14 and has never had a single cavity.

Salt is another one, in moderation it is fine...I personally can't seem to get enough salt, according to my EP who has threatened IV's! My sister on the other hand eats out all the time and gets too much salt, making her blood pressure really high.

A lot of people seem to think that living up to the requirements of holding a temple recommend is the greatest expectation we should have for ourselves. I think that the temple recommend requirements are not the greatest, but the least we can expect from changes in ourselves preparing to meet our Heavenly Father again. There is a very important spiritual element missing in our lives if we are only holding our spiritual growth to the measuring stick of the temple recommend questions. There is a higher law than the one we are currently living, we will be expected to live it at some point, for example the law of consecration. The Lord has been very merciful with us, but there will be a time when we will be expected to live as He already does.

My hubby was pouring himself some Dr. P the other night when the missionaries were over for dinner. The one from Utah just looked completely shocked that he was doing so. LOL his mouth was hanging open. So I said, "oh yeah, no one has told you yet that around here a person can drink soda and still be considered in good standing." :o

Then there was one Bishop in my mission that always had a cold can of Mountain Dew for his ward's missionaries and they were welcome to swing by for one whenever they wanted. I can only imagine how your Elder would react to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Blog Post - Mormonism in the News: Getting It Right | August 29

LDS Church clarifies caffeine use for faithful | FOX13Now.com – Salt Lake City, Utah News & Weather from KSTU Television FOX 13

"Finally, another small correction: Despite what was reported, the Church revelation spelling out health practices (Doctrine and Covenants 89) does not mention the use of caffeine. The Church’s health guidelines prohibit alcoholic drinks, smoking or chewing of tobacco, and “hot drinks” — taught by Church leaders to refer specifically to tea and coffee."

Mt. Dew party at my house!

Edited by mikbone

Why in heavens name would I want to drink something that looks like urine?

Because it tastes like urine, too! And a few hours after you drink it, you can enjoy that full-bodied flavor and color yet again, but uncarbonated and at body temperature! Nature's perfect drink!

Its more of a "treat your body as the temple for your spirit that it is". There's no restriction on twinkies, but if you eat nothing but twinkies and balloon up to obese, you're not following the word of wisdom.

You had to bring up twinkies [tear rolls down Earl's cheek]...they dont even make those any longer :( Not that I had them since I was about 10. But it's sentimental.

Okay, so I have been out of date on the twinkie topic. I hear a while back on a news radio program (yes I listen to NPR) that they were going to do away with them. I think it had to do with someone filing BK. But it appears that they didnt do away with them after all. I am not sure however if that is such a good thing for us :)

Okay, so I have been out of date on the twinkie topic. I hear a while back on a news radio program (yes I listen to NPR) that they were going to do away with them. I think it had to do with someone filing BK. But it appears that they didnt do away with them after all. I am not sure however if that is such a good thing for us :)

As long as they don't touch my vanilla frosted Zingers, I will be fine. :D

Its more of a "treat your body as the temple for your spirit that it is". There's no restriction on twinkies, but if you eat nothing but twinkies and balloon up to obese, you're not following the word of wisdom.

I see Twinkies as enlarging the tent. That way there is more room for my Spirit to roam free :)

-RM

I see Twinkies as enlarging the tent. That way there is more room for my Spirit to roam free :)

-RM

I see it through stewardship-colored lenses. If I am not to be cast out and my talent given to another, I had better double it. I came to earth and was given a body, and I'll be *day-gummed* [edited by 'Mater] if I don't return with twice that body.

Or for the philosophically inclined: Plato had 5 perfect solids, and the most perfect of all these was a sphere. I am trying my utmost for perfection.