What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Watching the movie called......Emperor

October 2, 1975

I worked in this dept of the Smithsonian during the Emperor's visit. It was a very big deal to have him visit, as you can imagine.

My first job after college was with the SI, working with their Western Atlantic mollusk collection - reading the ships' records about the specimens and writing it up for the data entry person so it could be but in the Institute's first computer systems.

I think Hirohito got away easy. He was just as responsible for the activities of the Japanese military as Hitler would have been had we caught him. Does anyone think we wouldn't have hanged Hitler after Nuremberg? We should have done the same to Hirohito.

Despicable Me 2

I had a lot of anticipation to see this and finally saw it tonight. It isn't as good as the first movie and anyone that says differently is way off the mark. Gru just didn't have that same charm that you fell in love with initially and the plot this go around was subpar BUT the visuals are great and there's still some funny moments that the family will get a laugh out of.

October 2, 1975

I worked in this dept of the Smithsonian during the Emperor's visit. It was a very big deal to have him visit, as you can imagine.

My first job after college was with the SI, working with their Western Atlantic mollusk collection - reading the ships' records about the specimens and writing it up for the data entry person so it could be but in the Institute's first computer systems.

I think Hirohito got away easy. He was just as responsible for the activities of the Japanese military as Hitler would have been had we caught him. Does anyone think we wouldn't have hanged Hitler after Nuremberg? We should have done the same to Hirohito.

I agree.

But didn't we use Hirohito to essentially change Japanese culture? I mean, he would have become a martyr and Japan would likely have become even more dug in their, forgive my pun, Hiro worship? Instead, the country transformed into a western economy and culture.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but the Japanese were already getting into western culture before WWII. They had treaties with western countries in the mid-1860's and modeled their army on the Prussians. My opinion alone, but after Nagasaki and Hiroshima, we didn't need Hirohito to help convince the Japanese which way they should go.

Watched 'Love Actually.' It's still a sweet little film. Bill Nighy is great. I haven't seen the whole film since I saw it in theaters, I have to admit to being a little ticked that they thought Hugh Grant's love interest was too plump. No wonder women and girls are starving themselves.

Watched 'Love Actually.' It's still a sweet little film. Bill Nighy is great. I haven't seen the whole film since I saw it in theaters, I have to admit to being a little ticked that they thought Hugh Grant's love interest was too plump. No wonder women and girls are starving themselves.

One of my favorites. It's R-rated.

My favorite story-line is the drummer kid...

Some memorable scenes:

(this was not in the movie - it's in the DVD's deleted scenes):

Sam, an 11-year-old boy, talking to his step-dad about getting a girl in school he loves to notice him:

Daniel: Option One: ask her out.

Sam: Impossible.

Daniel: Fair enough. Option Two: become her friend.

Sam: She's the most popular girl in school and she hates boys.

Daniel: Okay. Option Three: kidnap her and keep her tied up in your room until she agrees to marry you.

Sam: It's a route I've considered.

Daniel: And quite rightly rejected on the grounds of...

Sam: Hygiene.

Sam: Daniel, I have a plan!

Daniel: Thank the Lord! Tell me.

Sam: Well, girls love musicians, don't they?

Daniel: Uh-huh.

Sam: There's this big concert at the end of term, and Joanna's in it. And I thought, maybe if I was in the band, and played absolutely superbly, there's a chance that she might actually fall in love with me. What do you think?

Daniel: I think it's brilliant! I think it's stellar! Uh, apart from the one, obvious, tiny, little baby little hiccup...

Sam: That I don't play a musical instrument.

Daniel: Yessir.

Sam: A tiny, insignificant detail.

After the concert where Sam played drums while the girl sang and Sam still didn't get noticed:

Daniel: Tell her that you love her.

Sam: No way! Anyway, they fly tonight.

Daniel: Even better! Sam, you've got nothin' to lose, and you'll always regret it if you don't! I never told your mom enough. I should have told her everyday because she was perfect everyday. You've seen the films, kiddo. It ain't over 'til its over.

Sam: Okay, Dad. Let's do it. Let's go get the <sheez> kicked out of us by love.

Love that kid.

Despicable Me 2

I had a lot of anticipation to see this and finally saw it tonight. It isn't as good as the first movie and anyone that says differently is way off the mark. Gru just didn't have that same charm that you fell in love with initially and the plot this go around was subpar BUT the visuals are great and there's still some funny moments that the family will get a laugh out of.

I completely agree.

Elysium.

It was not what I thought it would be. I didn't mind the story but it could have been told better. Too much action not enough character development.

I did not like that movie at all. I thought the story was pretty dumb, actually.

The last two scenes you mention, anatess, were in the movie I saw yesterday. Considering I'd seen the film before, I never realized that the boy was his step son until yesterday. I wondered a bit about their language with each other!

Unbreakable is one of my son's favorite films. I mean like walking around the house quoting lines from the film, favorite. POSSIBLE SPOILER: The scene where he points out the newspaper article to his son and the son realizes it's about his father is just so touching. We lived in Philly for years, not far from the stadium where Willis was supposed to be a guard; it was nice to see some familiar sights.

I have probably seen 'Jurassic Park' 3 times over the holidays. It's a good film to have on in the background because you know it by heart, but it never gets old and is still fun to look at. They were way ahead of their time with the CGI for the dinosaurs.

Crawlspace (2012)

Deep in the heart of the unforgiving Australian desert lies Pine Gap, a top-secret government facility operated by the United States military. When the base comes under attack from unknown forces, an elite team is sent in to extract the military scientists. But their mission quickly becomes compromised when they find a crowd of disturbed patients from the medical sector overrunning the facility and encounter a beautiful and mysterious young woman with no memory. As the squad delves deeper it becomes clear that there is something far more sinister and far more dangerous going on at Pine Gap.

Meh. Decent story, medicore sound/film quality and semi-low budget, average acting. If you can get it free (Netflix currently has it) it is an okay movie.

Unbreakable is one of my son's favorite films. I mean like walking around the house quoting lines from the film, favorite. POSSIBLE SPOILER: The scene where he points out the newspaper article to his son and the son realizes it's about his father is just so touching. We lived in Philly for years, not far from the stadium where Willis was supposed to be a guard; it was nice to see some familiar sights.

That's awesome! My husband was telling me - I've been to the FSU stadium and it does not look like that! LOL!

By the way, we watched it together right after he got done being upset over the BCS game and so he tells me - you specifically picked this movie just to rub it in! Of course it was just a coincidence!

I did not like that movie at all. I thought the story was pretty dumb, actually.

If they had fleshed out the characters and made it really about getting medical help on Elysium instead of all the robot fighting and weird surgery to make humans with robotic exoskeletons it could have been a lot better.

If they had fleshed out the characters and made it really about getting medical help on Elysium instead of all the robot fighting and weird surgery to make humans with robotic exoskeletons it could have been a lot better.

*Spoilers, kinda*

The fundamental flaw in my mind was the end conceit of the movie (the exoskeletons were simply there to be cool, they weren't an integral part of the movie as I remember it). It essentially boiled down to the equivalent of someone breaking into a Hospital pharmacy and opening the doors to everyone. Sure, you may have temporarily solved the issue of drug costs to some lucky few but it isn't like you set up a system that gives everyone free drugs for life, and the sense I got at the end of the movie was, "Problem solved!"

Edited by Dravin

The last movie I saw was Persuasion, the 2007 version of Jane Austen's novel of the same name. This is definitely not as good as the 1995 version. Maybe i'm losing my sense of romance, but the ending just made me laugh when she starts running all over Bath. It's a plot-point marathon. She runs from plot point to plot point and then there's this very awkward kiss at the end. So funny. I would recommend skipping this one and sticking with the 1995 version.

The last movie I saw was Persuasion, the 2007 version of Jane Austen's novel of the same name. This is definitely not as good as the 1995 version. Maybe i'm losing my sense of romance, but the ending just made me laugh when she starts running all over Bath. It's a plot-point marathon. She runs from plot point to plot point and then there's this very awkward kiss at the end. So funny. I would recommend skipping this one and sticking with the 1995 version.

Agreed. I'm a huge P&P (1995) fan, and I loved the S&S with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet -- a beautiful movie with a beautiful soundtrack. But Persuasion might just be my favorite Austen movie adaptation of that period. Almost flawless. The 2007 version really cannot compare. (True of all the 2007-ish versions compared with their 1995-ish versions.)

Agreed. I'm a huge P&P (1995) fan, and I loved the S&S with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet -- a beautiful movie with a beautiful soundtrack. But Persuasion might just be my favorite Austen movie adaptation of that period. Almost flawless. The 2007 version really cannot compare. (True of all the 2007-ish versions compared with their 1995-ish versions.)

I actually like the P&P version with that girl from Pirates of the Carribean in it. For some reason I thought the giddy younger sisters were just perfect. And, of course, Judi Dench is perfect as usual.

I'm starting to wonder if I have this subliminal magnet to Judi Dench because out of all the Jane Eyre versions, the last one with her in it is my most favorite. Even better than the mini-series one!

And... I just saw, again, Marigold Hotel. Another of my favorite movies. And it has Judi Dench in it.

I actually like the P&P version with that girl from Pirates of the Carribean in it.

Oh, my goodness. Elizabeth Bennet portrayed as a whiny, narcissistic fourteen-year-old in a twenty-year-old's (prepubescent-boy-shaped) body. To each her own, I suppose.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic