Between me and the Lord

pam

So we see this quite often in our discussions. That something is between "me and the Lord."

So what exactly does this mean in your opinion?

1. Does it mean that it's between me and the Lord so everything is okay with it?

2. Does it mean that that it's between me and the Lord but that the Lord may not necessarily agree with it?

3. Does it mean that it's between me and the Lord and I'll take my chances when it comes time for judgement?

What are your thoughts?

When I hear it, I hear someone telling me to butt out of their business.

I agree, but it's kind of funny considering the fact that they're posting about it on a public forum, and then telling people to mind their own business.

Why is it I get the feeling your talking about me?

When I hear or read that statement then I take it at face value, that it's something that when it all boils down to the nitty gritty, it's between you and the Lord. Yes we can discuss something and have opinions on it but at the end of the day you have to take it to the Lord and see what he says on what ever that is!

Why is it I get the feeling your talking about me?

When I hear or read that statement then I take it at face value, that it's something that when it all boils down to the nitty gritty, it's between you and the Lord. Yes we can discuss something and have opinions on it but at the end of the day you have to take it to the Lord and see what he says on what ever that is!

I'm not talking about you. Though I will admit that a post you made did remind me that I've had this question for awhile now.

So we see this quite often in our discussions. That something is between "me and the Lord."

1. Does it mean that it's between me and the Lord so everything is okay with it?

2. Does it mean that that it's between me and the Lord but that the Lord may not necessarily agree with it?

3. Does it mean that it's between me and the Lord and I'll take my chances when it comes time for judgement?

What are your thoughts?

When I hear this statement from individuals, I see a whole array of complexity within this term of speech. If used correctly, then the result is as others have shared, "None of your business...it is between me and my God...mind your stewardship and I will mind mine." However, instead of "none of your business" it could also mean, "I appreciate your care and concern for me...and I take note to your warning/thoughts...but ultimately it is my decision as a result of thoughtful prayer and consideration."

I think some people use it, especially within the Church, as a license to continue bad behavior. In other words, your #2, which then would result in #3 -- I'm taking my chances when judgement comes tomorrow.

Edit: Example for second paragraph...I may not attend church but that is between me and the Lord...we go out into the mountains and worship the Lord in the mountains reading scriptures, praying, etc....Church attendance isn't all that important. Don't judge me.

Edited by Anddenex

What are your thoughts?

Sadly, it seems usually to mean, "Whatever I decide to do is good, right, and A-OK. So don't tell me otherwise." The D&C talks about those who would become a law unto themselves.

It can also be another way of saying we will have to agree to disagree. Often in that context used with the fanatical on some particular issue. A good example would be the members who try and tell the caffeine drinkers that they should not have temple recommends. Sometimes you just want to disengage rather than telling someone they are an idiot.

My wife says that phrase A LOT!

Sometimes it's a "justification" she tells herself.

Sometimes it is meant as that she is okay with something & she wants to believe God is okay with it as well.

Then there is the, you can choose to believe what you want to believe, I choose to believe _____ & we'll know who's right soon enough, until then it's between me & the Lord so quit judging me!

So I think it means a little different to each person & most likely each person puts a little twist to what they mean by it depending on the specific circumstances.

I think in general it is a way of saying:

"Quit Judging Me! That is something between me & the Lord, & does not involve you!"

I think that often it is a way to not have to admit that an individual is wrong. They have taken a stance and when presented with evidence that says otherwise, rather than admit they may be wrong it becomes "it's between me and the Lord....

But what if "they" interpret the evidence differently and their interpretation is just as valid?

For example, the tithing example would be that Camp A pays 10% of gross income, Camp B pays 10% of net income and Camp C pays 10% of "the remaining income after paying bills and such". If each Camp can justify validly why they do as they do, why can't the Camps just accept that each has their own view and just get along? Why does Camp A get mad because Camps B & C are not doing it their way, even though they do accept the mantra "It's between me and the Lord".

M.

But what if "they" interpret the evidence differently and their interpretation is just as valid?

For example, the tithing example would be that Camp A pays 10% of gross income, Camp B pays 10% of net income and Camp C pays 10% of "the remaining income after paying bills and such". If each Camp can justify validly why they do as they do, why can't the Camps just accept that each has their own view and just get along? Why does Camp A get mad because Camps B & C are not doing it their way, even though they do accept the mantra "It's between me and the Lord".

M.

gfchase mentioned "I think that often..." often being the key word that people say this because they are unable to admit they are wrong.

Yet, there are right and there are wrong answers, even with tithing:

D&C 119:4. What Is an Honest Tithing?

Elder John A. Widtsoe explained: “Tithing means one-tenth. Those who give less do not really pay tithing; they are lesser contributors to the Latter-day cause of the Lord. Tithing means one-tenth of a person’s income, interest, or increase. The merchant should pay tithing upon the net income of his business, the farmer upon the net income of his farming operations; the wage earner or salaried man upon the wage or salary earned by him. Out of the remaining nine-tenths he pays his current expenses … etc. To deduct living costs … and similar expenses from the income and pay tithing upon the remainder does not conform to the Lord’s commandment. Under such a system most people would show nothing on which to pay tithing. There is really no place for quibbling on this point. Tithing should be given upon the basis of our full earned income. If the nature of a business requires special interpretation, the tithepayer should consult the father of his ward, the bishop.” (Evidences and Reconciliations, 2:86.)

The end sentence also determines tithing is not only between the Lord and the individual, but between the Lord, the individual, and the bishop.

M.

For an answer to your above example you might want to visit the current tithing thread. Just a little while ago I posted an answer quoting an APOSTLE that very clearly answers the question definitively. I think you would be very hard pressed to find a DOCTRINAL question on which various interpretations can be valid. Different interpretations come from a lack of understanding. The gospel of Jesus Christ is not subject to private interpretation.

Jerry

BTW don't we already have and active tread on tithing? Also, unless your a bishop, judging someones motives is an extremely dangerous pastime and a sin that is just as bad as not paying a proper tithe, just saying.

You do not have to judge anyone to know and state the difference between doctrine and personal interpretation. If a person still insists that it is between them and the Lord after being given correct doctrine, at that point it probably is truly is between them and the Lord and further discussion is probably only combative.

Jerry

Edited by gfchase

Everyone's already said my answer (nunya... Right or wrong, it's not your business it's mine & I take full responsibility for it)

BUT...

I have a VeggieTales song stuck in my head "Message from The Lord", that every time I read the title of this post, it just resurrects the durn thing. Right along with Bob The Tomato using his pausish voice saying that "That's.... Between yoooooooou.....and. The. Loooooooooooord." Which may well be from an entirely different video.

My head. It's stuck in my head. Aiiiiiieeee.

Q

I think the phrase reflects a fundamental truth. I don't think that it excuses anyone of their sins or does it in anyway relieve someone of the consequences of their actions or thoughts, but, having said that, in the ultimate and final sense each of us will answer to God and He is the final and last arbiter. So, all things that a person does is between the individual and the Lord.

Each individual is responsible for working out their salvation. No other person's faith, testimony, feelings, opinions, or knowledge will save me. It is only my faith, my acts, and my relationship with God that, in the end, matters for my salvation.

-Finrock

Edited by Finrock
Grammar

I didn't discover them for a looooooong time.

As far as kids programming goes, pretty awesome.

Maybe not the best thing ever, but

Right up here with Thomas the Tank Engine, Kipper, & Fraggle Rock.

Q

Don't know Kipper, but did love the other two there!

Strange to have Ringo Starr and George Carlin on a kids show...

I had all the toys

Guest LiterateParakeet
If used correctly, then the result is as others have shared, "None of your business...it is between me and my God...mind your stewardship and I will mind mine." However, instead of "none of your business" it could also mean, "I appreciate your care and concern for me...and I take note to your warning/thoughts...but ultimately it is my decision as a result of thoughtful prayer and consideration."

I agree with this. I don't remember using that phrase, but I think if I were to use it, it could be for either reason. For example, I might use it as "none of your business" if someone was counseling me to forgive. I believe in forgiveness of course, but how long it takes, and the journey to get their is a personal matter between me and the Lord.

The second reminds me (with a smile) of a time when I was still a young single adult (many years ago :) ) I was living in Anchorage, AK, and had accepted a job out in the bush...Bethel, AK. My Branch President (singles branch) called me on the phone and counseled me NOT to go to Bethel because "I would never find a husband out there." By man's judgement, he was absolutely right, and I appreciated his concern. However, the Spirit had directed me to take the job, and so I knew that was what I needed to to. While I was in Bethel, I was assigned to visit teach my mother-in-law. So unlikely as it seemed, I did actually meet my husband because I was in Bethel. But of course, my Branch Pres. had no way of knowing that, and I don't blame him for trying to look out for me.

I think the phrase reflects a fundamental truth. I don't think that it excuses anyone of their sins or does it in anyway relieve someone of the consequences of their actions or thoughts, but, having said that, in the ultimate and final sense each of us will answer to God and He is the final and last arbiter. So, all things that a person does is between the individual and the Lord.

Yes, I agree. This is another great interpretation.

"That's between me and the Lord" = "My position clearly contradicts the teachings of the Church--so, let's end this argument now."

"That's between YOU and the Lord" = "Your position clearly contradicts the teachings of the Church--so, let's end this argument now."

:P

Edited by Just_A_Guy