Jerusalem Temple

IMG_0565.thumb.png.6a0d9ee0fc436fd19ba96cbe707e23c6.png

This is our compromise.  There are still books crammed all over the place in closets, steel lockers that I purchased for the cause, and about another ton or so boxed in the garage that she insists we cannot part with.

Good luck with your remodel.

Edited by mikbone

11 minutes ago, mikbone said:

This is our compromise.  There are still books crammed all over the place in closets, steel lockers that I purchased for the cause, and about another ton or so boxed in the garage that she insists we cannot part with.

Nice house.  Makes me jealous.  But we do have more books than you appear to have.

I'm hoping it will all be back to normal some time this weekend.

58 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

But we do have more books than you appear to have.

For your sake I hope not.

These are the 4 lockers…

IMG_0566.thumb.jpeg.66448cb53909b11148ebee8b895773c2.jpeg

Plus the hidden ones in closets, shelfs, and the tonnage of boxed books in the garage that will likely never see the light of day. 

Edited by mikbone

2 hours ago, mikbone said:

Jeez, that room is almost the size of my entire house. 

My older kid has developed a book lust all on her own.  The other day I handed over my inherited 1966 edition of Miracle at Philadelphia: The Story of the Constitutional Convention, by Catherine Drinker Bowen.  Her eyes glowed.

My "library" such as it is, consists of two parts:

- 3 bookcases, of roughly the same size as Mik pictured above.  

- 42 gig of data, consisting of ~13k files, including (among other things) the complete works of FARMS.  iCloud, plus a local backup, plus an occasional offsite backup.

On 6/13/2024 at 12:44 PM, mikbone said:

I am at a strange stage of life.  I am likely closer to requiring assisted living that I am to when I had to register for SS (though the SS stuff seems like yesterday).  I have a collection of old books (obviously out of print) – no idea how valuable they are.   I have a set of student reference books (similar to an encyclopedia, published in the late 1800’s) that I have kept just because it says that Mormons can be visually spotted because of their horns – complete with pictures (more like illustrations).

I figure I might as well get rid of most books because none of my kids are interested in them.  Just departed from my “Journal of Discourses” set – a nephew wanted them.

One question about your house – What is a bed doing in an open sitting room with no window coverings? 

When finished with the remodel I will provide pictures of our remodeled house.

The Traveler

7 minutes ago, Traveler said:

One question about your house – What is a bed doing in an open sitting room with no window coverings? 

I did mention the size of my family in the past no?

And I get to make structural / mechanical decisions.  Colors / furniture etc. is out of my control.

18 hours ago, mikbone said:
19 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

Still have some legacy "coffee table" books.  Also has anyone seen a coffee table recently????

You mean a hot chocolate table?

I'm sure he means a "kick your feet up on this" table.

In our house, we just have large square cushion things that are roughly the size and height of a coffee table.  The dog uses them as launchpads as she's coming to say hi to whoever is in a chair.

On 6/13/2024 at 5:10 PM, NeuroTypical said:

iCloud, plus a local backup, plus an occasional offsite backup.

In my youth when people accused me of illegally copying my siblings' cd's I informed them that I was providing them with offsite backups and I would periodically play them to ensure data integrity.

I didn't realize we had so much in common.

On 6/12/2024 at 1:12 AM, Lindsay Powell said:

These are significant quotes by Elder McConkie but the source really needs to be included to do any of us much good. Please attach a source!

Bruce R. McConkie, Millennial Messiah, p. 279-280 )

As quoted on page 5 (or p.439) of https://www.ldsgospeldoctrine.net/bwc/bwc-ot-35.pdf

On 6/14/2024 at 6:40 AM, NeuroTypical said:

My older kid has developed a book lust all on her own.  The other day I handed over my inherited 1966 edition of Miracle at Philadelphia: The Story of the Constitutional Convention, by Catherine Drinker Bowen.  Her eyes glowed.

My "library" such as it is, consists of two parts:

- 3 bookcases, of roughly the same size as Mik pictured above.  

- 42 gig of data, consisting of ~13k files, including (among other things) the complete works of FARMS.  iCloud, plus a local backup, plus an occasional offsite backup.

When it comes to digital gospel libraries I recommend https://www.gospelink.com/. Its become quite old now and I don't think its being regularly added to but it still contains a great deal of accessible material.

I would be interested in hearing what other sources people have found to be helpful and reliable.

image.png.85668bd31ad4658ea0510f20b18a9a27.png

Edited by askandanswer

8 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Glad to see this made it online, sad to see it's fifty bucks a year for access.  I am sorely tempted.

In my 20's when I had become active again (and believing for the first time), I was called to teach Gospel Principles.   I knew pretty much nothing about the gospel, so I was truly just one lesson ahead of my class.  My $4.99 gospelink CD was utterly invaluable to figuring out what I believed and why. 

Plus, it set the gold standard for useful search engines that remained the gold standard until just recently when AI happened.

11 hours ago, askandanswer said:

When it comes to digital gospel libraries I recommend https://www.gospelink.com/. Its become quite old now and I don't think its being regularly added to but it still contains a great deal of accessible material.

I purchased the CD a few times.  And enjoyed the search function.

I haven't felt the need for the for the library in over a decade though.

Alot of the material was from a secondary source or of a personal opinion nature.

I’m pretty well read in LDS ancillary teachings.  And I have come to the conclusion that the Scriptures and conference talks from modern day prophets are always a better source.  Although I do have a particular love for Joseph Smith’s insights as found in the Joseph Smith Papers.