Crazy conspiracies?

Bini

Guest MormonGator

My dentist said it's because of Fluoride that I have no cavities and wonderful teeth in my mid thirties.

We tend to fear anything chemical in 2015 America and that's a bit strange. 

Edited by MormonGator

Believing that it makes a difference makes about as much sense as believing in conspiracy theories. He does oral work, yet is he a scientist, does he have studies to back it up and prove? All he has is anecdotal?  How does one even go about making an actual scientific study that fluoride in the water distributed over large population without controlling for umpteen variables is appropriate? Making a study that fluoride and toothpaste work well is vastly different than flouride in the water supply.

I grew up on a farm with well water and my teeth are better than most people my age. Any dentist worth their salt will say brushing and flossing work, one doesn't need anything else it's pretty simple.

so if a farmer sees time and again that people messing around heavy machinery have tended to get injured wouldn't have a clue until after multiple scientific research studies done to positively show that people who don't take proper precautions have  a higher risk of getting injured around heavy machinery, so that he can tell folks "hey don't mess around with that" or that said folks recieving the message should consider his message to have any worth or validity?

He was talking from experience more than anything, buuuut i'm pretty sure that various health articles he reads up probably mentioned it at least once or twice. I didn't ask him specifically as he was the one who did intensive dental work (professionally).

but if you are so interested, you can start here:

http://www.ada.org/en/public-programs/advocating-for-the-public/fluoride-and-fluoridation

knock yourself out.

PS the reason dentists and oral medics stress brushing and flossing so so so much is that people generally don't, or don't do it right, or don't do enough. And i have yet to hear anybody that's remotely connected to that business professionally ever say anything to the effect that flouride in the water replaces that or means you can do it less. (including my neighbor)

Edited by Blackmarch

Thought this would be interesting, especially, with all the opinions that float around here...

Since I'm not an expert on conspiracy theories, or the topics they cover, the sensationalism of what-really-happened seems to always reel in my curiosity. Even though I'm not an expert, there's certain conspiracy theories that while intriguing, I just don't buy - like the moon landing... Alright, so the most recent conspiracy theory that I've heard about was that 9/11 was orchestrated by the US government. Naturally, it was posted on my FB feed (which we all know is a great resource for accurate and unbiased information lol). I didn't read through the whole article but bits and pieces.

So what are some conspiracies that you agree with or don't agree with? (Like I said, I'm no expert on this, especially on government conspiracies! Very clueless on that category, specifically. But I'd be interest in other types of conspiracy theories, too...maybe Big Foot?...lol)

Here is one for you.  About 200 years ago the world trade with China was having problems - China did not want to trade goods for goods and demanded gold for goods.  Since the goods of China were very popular in Europe and America the goods of China were bought with gold.  But China began to amass over half of the world's gold reserves and started to threaten western economies.  In response 20 of the richest families in the west came together to form the world's largest drug cartel.  This drug cartel brought opium from Afghanistan and for a century smuggled it into China.  China tried everything to stop the on slot of drugs but the opium creep into all sectors of Chinese society. 

China fell in the grip of drugs and suffered what is known in China as the 100 years of shame.  Near the end of this drug and trade struggle China (as part of the Boxer rebellion) attacked a offshore island where the drug cartel amassed drugs for smuggling.  This touch off war with western powers that invaded China and brought down the Qing dynasty and weakened China for the eventual take over by the Communists. 

Prior to the invasion of the drug island the 20 families that had become among the richest families in the west; they gathered for a picture of everyone.  This picture is one of the few remaining public documents of the powerful drug cartel capable starting wars and of toppling one of the worlds most powerful countries of that day.  Sitting on the front row in that picture is a 12 year old boy that would rise to the most politically powerful and influential position in western culture.  You may recognize his name - Franklin Delano Roosevelt.   Never has a single member of this cartel been arrested in any western country - and you thought the central and south American drug cartels are a threat to our freedoms and liberties?

I suspect that even just 15 years ago, if someone had suggested that various intelligence agencies were plucking all our mobile phone conversations out of the air for preservation and later analysis, and tapping into the undersea optical cables used by google and other global ICT companies, without the knowledge or approval of the legislature,  that would have sounded like a conspiracy. 

I've had a book on my shelf for more than twenty years called None Dare Call it Conspiracy, published in 1971. I've never read it. I'm not sure if I ever will. Apparently it supports the theory that there is some sort of global conspiracy that controls the world, and exposes how it works and who belongs to it. The book is of some small interest to me because on the back cover of the book there is what might be interpreted as an endorsement, attributed to President Ezra Taft Benson in his former capacity as former Secretary of State of Agriculture. The endorsement says "I wish that every citizen of every country in the free world and every slave behind the iron curtain might read this book." I seem to recall some people saying that President Benson later tried to disassociate himself from this book, or maybe from his endorsement, but I'm not sure if that's true. 

A google search on the phrase None dare call it conspiracy turned up some descriptions/summaries of the book. One is here http://www.newsofinterest.tv/politics/book_summaries/book_ndcc.php   and another one, from Amazon says

"This book is a primer for anyone who wishes to understand the basic workings of the global network of Insiders that is determined to wield power over all of mankind in the coming New World Order."

Examples please?

faked Moon landing, cops are evil murderers, Gov ordered 9/11, various anti-mormon claims, flouride in the water (or mercury or some other compound in vaccines) to make you stupid, various pro and anti gun things....

Edited by Blackmarch

I grew up on a farm with well water and my teeth are better than most people my age. Any dentist worth their salt will say brushing and flossing work, one doesn't need anything else it's pretty simple.

I'm on a well too.  I've had the water tested for flouride, and shared the results with my dentist.  He told me the levels of flouride in the water were just a tad below the guidelines for minimum recommended intake, and we decided not to suppliment our kids.

Did you know flouride occurs naturally in well water yjacket?  Did your family ever get their well checked?  It might be the reason your teeth are so good.  Because it does what the scientists say it does...

My wife knows how to speak Gadianton Robberese, or at least the dialect spoken by our street gangs.  She was involved as a teenager.  Learned the ins and outs, was one of the few 'trusted outsiders' because she was there out of genuine concern for the lives of those kids, and it showed.   She had been to around a dozen funerals by the time she was out of high school.  

The same language is spoken everywhere.  A combination of graffiti, clothing, attitude, body language, facial expressions, eye contact, hand signals, tone of voice and choice of words, understanding the value of information, even your physical location.   It's amazing to see her translate for me.  She knows which scary people to approach and ask if our kids can see their tattoos, and when to abandon lunch early and get out of the Burger King because dood and his homies are somewhere they're not supposed to be, and trouble is coming.  These people are masters at nonverbal communication, and they might as well be carrying around megaphones, but most of us are totally deaf.

Unless I miss my guess, there is one relatively active poster here on lds.net who knows exactly what I'm talking about.  Wanna step forward and be recognized?

Edited by NeuroTypical

As for global conspiracies, I tend to not believe them. 9/11 was probably not an inside job despite the US being involved in some provable false-flag conspiracies, but JFK was probably assassinated due to a conspiracy.

This is the government that can't even keep personnel records locked down.  I doubt they could have a secret picnic without word getting out within a week.  Keeping something that would require so much involvement by so many people under wraps for 14 years would take a series of miracles to cover their tracks.

Here is another one for you all.  We all know about the south of the border drug cartels.  We are aware that they smuggle drugs and people (including children) into the USA.  But more and more the cartels are getting involved in other goods.  What many may not be aware of is the Mexico has the world's largest oil reserves.  Many years ago the big oil companies moved into Mexico to develop their oil reserves and make huge profits.  Western companies like profits and the primary reason we had an oil embargo in the 70's was because the big oil companies were making more than the countries with the raw oil.

The Mexican government decided that they could make much more $$$$ if they took over all the oil production in Mexico.  So the Mexican took over all that was invested in their countries oil fields and refineries.  The problem is that the Mexican government just is not very good at running businesses for profit.  I will not go into all the problems - just what the drug cartels are doing.  As they have been looking into finding other sources of income it was decided to try petroleum.  It is amazing what they are getting away with.  They are stealing both raw and refined petroleum.

However, the cartels are not selling their stolen goods on the black market.  Almost all of it is sold directly to US oil companies.  Since this is all going on in essence in the light of day - Mexican citizens are not happy that the US government refuses to do anything but look the other way - despite complaints from the Mexican government.  And before you bet mad at the current administration this has been going on since Bush. 

The cartels make larger than other oil producer profits because they have very little overhead.  The oil companies love buyint stolen Mexican oil because they can use the same tax deductions as if the bought the more expensive product direct from the Mexican government.  So everyone is happy? -- NOT!  Much of our border problem with Mexico not cooperating is because we are screwing them big time - they are just trying to level the playing field - a little to make it worth their effort.

Is it not wonderful how all the politicians point fingers as far as they can from themselves?  There is far more going on at our borders than illegal immigrants - or even black market goods.  Contacts I have in Mexico tell me that there is more profit at the border with corruption than there is with honest trade.  Securing our borders is going to be a lot more difficult than advertized by our conservative politicians - and much more costly that advertized by our liberal politicians.  And the vast majority of the cost and loss will be suffered in the good old US of A. 

Actually of all the candidates coming up for the next election - the only one that I believe may have a handle on this is not even a real politician.  Go figure.

I'm on a well too.  I've had the water tested for flouride, and shared the results with my dentist.  He told me the levels of flouride in the water were just a tad below the guidelines for minimum recommended intake, and we decided not to suppliment our kids.

Did you know flouride occurs naturally in well water yjacket?  Did your family ever get their well checked?  It might be the reason your teeth are so good.  Because it does what the scientists say it does...

I know it occurs naturally, however the actual amount varies naturally and too much naturally is a cause for concern. I never said flouride does not do what scientists say it does (which is that a flouride application helps teeth).  There is a difference between flouride application and drinking flouride.

I am an research engineer, I am very well versed with data, statistics, research papers etc; I've written them.  From a logical standpoint there is a difference from a flouride application and drinking flouride. Flouride application has been found to be helpful, because it can be controlled, measured and studied.  Drinking flouride cannot; there are just quite simply too many factors involved to conclusively state that drinking flouride is overall beneficial-it's bad science to say so.

The logical fallacy is that well if a flouride application is good then drinking it must be good too; without the understanding of what damage the effect of drinking flouride does to the body as it absorbs the chemical. And I guarantee you a dentist does not look at research papers.  When they were going to dental school they might have read a few. . . .but it takes a different type of person to not only read papers but to critically look at research papers to see if they are just crap. Most look at research papers and think they are truth. Which is not always the case.

More to the point, I have a big problem with the government mandating and putting into the water supply something that one has no control over. Big government determining what is in the best interest for me (when they can't find their way out of a paper bag).

Edited by yjacket

This is the government that can't even keep personnel records locked down.  I doubt they could have a secret picnic without word getting out within a week.  Keeping something that would require so much involvement by so many people under wraps for 14 years would take a series of miracles to cover their tracks.

the government does not, people in the government do.

Here is another conspiracy and some thoughts - Is Social Security part of a cleaver conspiracy to bankrupt the USA?  I already pointed out that the person most responsible for the implementation of Social Security was born into the world’s most powerful drug cartel.  I will list two elements of Social Security that if not changed or in essence eliminated – will guarantee that the Social Security tax must be increased in each generation to cover unfunded liability costs.

#1.  Funding of secret operations of the CIA – including “Black Ops”.  The control of these funds lay exclusively with the executive branch of government (under the direction of the President) with no congressional or other oversight.  Since all such operations and funding by definition are classified; citizens will never know how much funds were spent or even if funds were use for bribes, kick backs or just put in secret bank accounts for personal retired presidential fun and adventure – Think the Clintons.  There is no way to know or track how much or what happens to these funds.  You have to hand it to FDR  - he was cleaver to hide this in Social Security.

#2.  The known overhead cost of Social Security is about 60%.  This means that of the funds we citizens get to know about that for every dollar the government distributes - $.40 will go to some old person trying to live on Social Security. $.60 goes to fund salaries, parties, perks or whatever in the Social Security department wants to do itself.  Just so you all know – By law any privately run retirement program in this country is required to limit their overhead costs to 7% - or the organizers and officers go to jail for fraud and conspiracy.  This alone by our own legal standards would classify Social Security as a conspiracy.

Under president Ragan an independent study was performed by a world renowned economist – Milton Friedman.  His report currently is difficult or impossible to find.  I have long been a fan of Milton posting in the past his idea of negative income tax as the only plausible (to me) way to end poverty.  That I see in principle (negative income tax) the essence of several principles of the Law of Consecration” and as the only possible bridge to be nationally inclusive – something beyond the LDS church.  As a side note – perhaps on this forum many think I have some really weird out there opinions.  The truth is – very little that I bring to this forum is exclusively my opinion.  But I will admit that my main purpose in posting is to get readers to think and consider beyond the common and popular propaganda. 

Here is another conspiracy and some thoughts - Is Social Security part of a cleaver conspiracy to bankrupt the USA?  I already pointed out that the person most responsible for the implementation of Social Security was born into the world’s most powerful drug cartel.  I will list two elements of Social Security that if not changed or in essence eliminated – will guarantee that the Social Security tax must be increased in each generation to cover unfunded liability costs.

#1.  Funding of secret operations of the CIA – including “Black Ops”.  The control of these funds lay exclusively with the executive branch of government (under the direction of the President) with no congressional or other oversight.  Since all such operations and funding by definition are classified; citizens will never know how much funds were spent or even if funds were use for bribes, kick backs or just put in secret bank accounts for personal retired presidential fun and adventure – Think the Clintons.  There is no way to know or track how much or what happens to these funds.  You have to hand it to FDR  - he was cleaver to hide this in Social Security.

#2.  The known overhead cost of Social Security is about 60%.  This means that of the funds we citizens get to know about that for every dollar the government distributes - $.40 will go to some old person trying to live on Social Security. $.60 goes to fund salaries, parties, perks or whatever in the Social Security department wants to do itself.  Just so you all know – By law any privately run retirement program in this country is required to limit their overhead costs to 7% - or the organizers and officers go to jail for fraud and conspiracy.  This alone by our own legal standards would classify Social Security as a conspiracy.

Under president Ragan an independent study was performed by a world renowned economist – Milton Friedman.  His report currently is difficult or impossible to find.  I have long been a fan of Milton posting in the past his idea of negative income tax as the only plausible (to me) way to end poverty.  That I see in principle (negative income tax) the essence of several principles of the Law of Consecration” and as the only possible bridge to be nationally inclusive – something beyond the LDS church.  As a side note – perhaps on this forum many think I have some really weird out there opinions.  The truth is – very little that I bring to this forum is exclusively my opinion.  But I will admit that my main purpose in posting is to get readers to think and consider beyond the common and popular propaganda. 

#1 is murky it may or may not, #2 i'd be more inclined to agree with the SS thing.

You cna probably be sure that whereever the money goes, ther more there is the more motivation there will be to misuse it. More points if its hidden for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

It mentions the Manhattan project. My husband's grandfather was involved in that, and now, my brother is one of the geophysicists working on the massive cleanup project that is the Handford site. The tricities in Washington state were built around the Manhattan project. In fact, Richland High School's mascot is the Bombers, and when they make a touchdown, an air raid siren plays.

Everytime I approach a traffic light that's turning from green to yellow, it's a little conspiracy against me. :)

More seriously though, conspiracies, to the extent that they work at all, work better as entertainment in my world than reality. Ie the two films ; 'The Chernobyl Diaries' and 'Apollo 18'.

Edited by lonetree

They are always bringing up this "Apollo lunar landings hoax" nonsense. Admittedly one or two pieces of evidence do make you wonder (a bit), but the conspiracy theorists always think that "no stars in the lunar sky" is the clincher. What nonsense this is! These films were taken on the day side of the moon with the sun shining bright! Admittedly it would (probably) be possible to see stars in daytime on the moon, but you would need to shield your eyes from anything the sun was shining on. If you then waited (probably) ten minutes for your eyes to adjust I daresay you would begin to see a few stars. But if the cameras the astronauts used had been sensitive enough to pick up starlight, everything else in the pictures would have been overexposed blobs.

I think science fiction may have played its part here. In H.G. Wells' "First Men in the Moon", the narrator describes seeing stars in the lunar daytime sky, and even Arthur C. Clarke in some of his early books describes the same. In fact most sci fi movies show sunlit planets and spaceships with stars shining brightly behind them. All total nonsense.

Edited by Jamie123

Sorry - I can't resist having another rant about this: the nonsense about "parallel shadows converging" meaning that the light isn't coming from the sun but from some huge studio light nearby.

Has it never occurred to any of these guys that you get exactly the same effect here on earth, and it's caused by perspective?

shadows.jpg

And what about crepuscular rays? ("Jacob's Ladder") We've all seen them many times:

crepuscular-light-rays-on-blue-ridge-par

The conspiracy theorists will tell us the sun is floating just a few hundred feet above the clouds!

P.S. On the subject of crepuscular rays, I can't help but think of Emily Dickenson's poem about them (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174992).

Not to mention the song "Jacob's Ladder" by Rush (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnkwhHOjv-4). I saw that performed live in 1980 - for the part where the clouds open they had crepuscular rays formed in dry ice shining out from the stage - it was totally awesome.

P.P.S. Now I look at Emily Dickenson's poem again I notice she never specifically mentions Jacob's Ladder - only "a certain slant of light". The image has always been in my mind whenever I've read that poem though. Interesting...

Edited by Jamie123

• 2 months later...