Trump Can't Win

11 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Personally, I agree with you. 

However I'm seeing a lot of NeverTrumpers (And no, this isn't directed towards you @james12) who want to remain morally pure and look down on the people who are getting their hands dirty and voting for Trump.

This post got me thinking about what the defining characteristic of a NeverTrumper is.  To me, (and maybe this is how people see them in general, maybe not) is that a NeverTrumper is someone who absolutely will not vote for Trump even if he were to get baptized, apologize for every mean thing he ever said, and committed himself to the highest of all standards.  This is as opposed to someone who won't vote for him because they just have someone better in mind.

I think of myself as the latter, but I admit that the line gets blurry sometimes when he does something especially rude.

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

To me, (and maybe this is how people see them in general, maybe not) is that a NeverTrumper is someone who absolutely will not vote for Trump even if he were to get baptized, apologize for every mean thing he ever said, and committed himself to the highest of all standards.  

Because NeverTrumpers know that none of this would ever happen.

58 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Or, we know it would never be sincere at least.

1 hour ago, Larry Cotrell said:

All true but not relevant to the point I'm trying to make.  To put it another way, I perceive NeverTrumpers as people who absolutely will not change their minds regardless, as opposed to those who oppose Trump for other reasons.

13 minutes ago, unixknight said:

All true but not relevant to the point I'm trying to make.  To put it another way, I perceive NeverTrumpers as people who absolutely will not change their minds regardless, as opposed to those who oppose Trump for other reasons.

Semantics.

Since "NeverTrumper" is not in the dictionary, the label can mean anything.  Generically speaking a NeverTrumper is someone who will never vote for Trump -- as of today.  Then there's the question of "what would have to change for you to change your position on Trump?"  Well, that is quite different.  You'd get a lot of different answers to that.

For me, I'd have to have enough evidence that he had changed to bevome someone I could actually vote for without plugging my nose and resisting the gag reflex over.  I'd have to be convinced that he will follow through with the good promises.  Does he actually mean what he says?  I'm still of the opinion that even if he were to win, he wouldn't keep the promise of the Supreme Court Justices.  That's why I have no motivation to vote for him.

I'd say the exact same thing about Hillary.  Except, I'm afraid she WOULD keep her promises...

With McMullen, even if he's establishment, I may have to plug my nose a bit, but I wouldn't gag over him.  And if he isn't establishment, then he's great.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Larry Cotrell said:

Now, now . .  . let's wait for those things to actually happen, and we'll make the decision then.  In the interim we'll keep everyone in suspense.  I hear Trump likes suspense. ?

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Windseeker said:

Trump won.

Yup.  I was wrong.  It is my sincere belief that something else was going on behind the scenes that changed everything.

Why were the emails "no big deal" before.  But NOW they're a big deal?  Why did the emails not make a dent in the polls when she was testifying before Congress. But NOW they made a HUGE dent in the polls when NOTHING was actually revealed?  Everything we're being told in public doesn't add up.

37 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Not true omega.  I quickly and easily found a leftie facebook buddy, as ticked off at Hillary as I was at Trump, and we both went Johnson.  I had numerous facebook buddies to choose from.

To be fair, it seems self-evident that Johnson, a Republican running as a Libertarian*, drew much more heavily from the conservative side of the aisle than from the liberal side.

*Actually, Johnson seems to be a Libertarian who served as governor as a Republican and then ran for president under his truer colors.

Edited by Vort

42 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Not true omega.  I quickly and easily found a leftie facebook buddy, as ticked off at Hillary as I was at Trump, and we both went Johnson.  I had numerous facebook buddies to choose from.

Well then between you and your friend it's conclusive evidence, I stand corrected

11 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Well then between you and your friend it's conclusive evidence, I stand corrected

You can add several liberal friends of mine into the mix as well.  They felt the reverse that I did between Trump and Hillary.  They also decided to ignore the "lesser of two evils" rhetoric and decided Johnson was the "not evil" choice.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Should have gone for all of them.

55 minutes ago, Vort said:

My son at BYU told me that Gary Johnson supporters had co-opted Bernie Sanders' "Feel the Bern" slogan, except replacing "Bern" with their own candidate's surname.

Just say it Vort.

You felt the Johnson.