LDS culture problem

Sweety D

Just now, anatess2 said:

Just to make sure @Grunt understands the conversation... @prisonchaplain is a chaplain for the (Washington State?) prison.  He is a minister of the Assemblies of God church.  He's not Mormon... but we're still hoping that will change.  :D

Hope springs eternal.

Thanks!  The "religion" tab under people's name helps me understand the topics a little better.  It's interesting that other faiths are here.  

18 minutes ago, Grunt said:

When I heard them announce someone was "released" last Sunday, I thought they meant he was fired.  The missionaries had to explain it to me.

:animatedlol:.  You know, I never thought of it that way.  But you're right.  It certainly would sound that way to someone who's not used to it.

1 minute ago, Grunt said:

Thanks!  The "religion" tab under people's name helps me understand the topics a little better.  It's interesting that other faiths are here.  

We even have @Godless, and as his name implies... he's our resident atheist.

21 minutes ago, Grunt said:

When I heard them announce someone was "released" last Sunday, I thought they meant he was fired.  The missionaries had to explain it to me.

We can get interesting reactions when we tell people something will be at the "Stake House" - because they assume they're hearing "Steak House" - and who wouldn't want to join a church that has their own steak houses? ;)

1 minute ago, zil said:

We can get interesting reactions when we tell people something will be at the "Stake House" - because they assume they're hearing "Steak House" - and who wouldn't want to join a church that has their own steak houses? ;)

My grandmother, when investigating the church, felt VERY sold short when going to the "Stake House" didn't involve her consuming a large potion of cow.

1 minute ago, zil said:

I would prefer this terminology. Unfortunately I never hear it called that. The usual term is "stake center", which is really not quite as good. 

31 minutes ago, person0 said:

I'm sorry, for me, root beer is only good with vanilla ice cream.  Here is an info-graphic that shows the appropriate uses of root beer ^_^:

5yylw6.png

I will gladly acknowledge that a root beer float is in fact preferable to coke with nearly any meal, including pizza.  :)

Let the record show...

My brothers-in-law all had a thing for Weinhard's rootbeer.  I'd never heard of it. But I knew that IBC was a pretty good brand.  So, I set up a taste test.  Seven men (two of whom never tasted Weinhard's before.  We tried Weinhard's, A&W, IBC, Mug, and some store brand.  Just to throw some mix into it, we also had creme soda.

Weinhard's came out the winner, but it may have been biased since Weinhard's has such a distinctive flavor and scent that you can't miss it.

The store brand was actually second place.  It really was a good brand.

A&W vs. IBC was a tie.  All of us agreed that they were identical.  None of us could tell them apart -- once they were both refrigerated.  The first trial was with an un-refrigerated A&W.  that was definitely worse.  NEVER DRINK UNREFRIGERATED ROOT BEER!  The second trial, they were good and refrigerated.

Mug came out last.  But everyone agreed it wasn't terrible.

The creme soda was outright rejected by everyone but me.  I happen to like creme soda.  But everyone else said it tasted like gym socks.  I don't know how they would know it tasted like gym socks.  But that's what they said.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Let the record show...

My brothers-in-law all had a thing for Weinhard's rootbeer.  I'd never heard of it. But I knew that IBC was a pretty good brand.  So, I set up a taste test.  Seven men (two of whom never tasted Weinhard's before.  We tried Weinhard's, A&W, IBC, Mug, and some store brand.  Just to throw some mix into it, we also had creme soda.

Weinhard's came out the winner, but it may have been biased since Weinhard's has such a distinctive flavor and scent that you can't miss it.

The store brand was actually second place.  It really was a good brand.

A&W vs. IBC was a tie.  All of us agreed that they were identical.  None of us could tell them apart -- once they were both refrigerated.  The first trial was with an un-refrigerated A&W.  that was definitely worse.  NEVER DRINK UNREFRIGERATED ROOT BEER!  The second trial, they were good and refrigerated.

Mug came out last.  But everyone agreed it wasn't terrible.

The creme soda was outright rejected by everyone but me.  I happen to like creme soda.  But everyone else said it tasted like gym socks.  I don't know how they would know it tasted like gym socks.  But that's what they said.

For drinking, Henry's is the best.  I actually don't like Henry's for root beer floats - one of the others works though (I'd go with Mug or IBC).  And yes, IBC is a pretty good, but distant second to Henry's.  I may have to go to the grocery store on the way home.  <sigh>

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

@prisonchaplain,

Out of curiosity, do you carry while at church?  Do you encourage or discourage your congregation to carry or not carry?  Or do you just not say anything?

I fully support the 2nd Amendment. However, my past efforts at gaining proficiency at the use of firearms were not so successful, so I do not carry. Chaplains and medical staff are the only ones who do not have to qualify on weapons in our system.  Some of the teens think my stab-resistant vest is kinda cool, though.  :popcorn:

So, why isn't anyone looking at us askance for discussing sugar and high quantities of meat?

Now I want a steak dinner with Very Cold root beer.  How would root beer work as a steak marinade?

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

How would root beer work as a steak marinade?

If Coke can manage, I don't know why Henry Weinhard's couldn't.  But I recommend Daddy Hinkle's instead - serious yum.  They might have it in grocery stores down your way (they do in OKC), but I have to order online (or pick it up when visiting OKC).

31 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Actually, I thought that was only a part time gig.  I thought he had a ehr um civilian? congregation as well.

@prisonchaplain, did I not understand correctly?

To go all international English on you: Yes. You did not understand correctly. I am a full-time prison chaplain, and a volunteer teaching pastor (part time gig) at my local church.  ;)

6 minutes ago, zil said:

If Coke can manage, I don't know why Henry Weinhard's couldn't.  But I recommend Daddy Hinkle's instead - serious yum.  They might have it in grocery stores down your way (they do in OKC), but I have to order online (or pick it up when visiting OKC).

Yup, they have that here.

On 7/25/2017 at 11:19 AM, Carborendum said:

We don't expect children to not be sexually active...

I'm coming late to this discussion but I did notice the above statement and I couldn't ignore it. The statement is a double negative and I'm sure gives the wrong impression than what was intended.

Regarding the OP, didn't JS say:

“I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves.”

In my non-LDS opinion, applying this statement with what @Sweety Dis talking about, wouldn't it be fair to say that each member governs their own behaviour and allows other members to do the same.

Pizza?   Ha!   When I said I live in the boonies, I meant BOONIES!  There is no pizza here.  I understand your point, though. We did prepare something for them last time but they cancelled.  They've only been once.  I'm sure it's because of where I live.  I'll probably have to keep going to church if I want information. No big deal. 

@Grunt, maybe meeting at a place that both you and the missionaries can get to would be easier. Even a member's house, the benefit of a comfortable atmosphere and you can meet other members of the ward.

M.

There's an LDS urban legend out there that if missionaries come to a non-member's door, and get an invitation to go in, that they would accept the hospitality of the householder, finding it a worse offense to offend a potential investigator than to violate the WoW (at least for soft drinks--not alcohol). I find that plausible, but not likely. Personally, I've only offered water or juice, and have chosen not to drink coffee in front of them, either. To me, it's just a matter of respect. I'd feel funny about downing a ham sandwich in front of a Muslim or Jew, also.

1 minute ago, Maureen said:

I'm coming late to this discussion but I did notice the above statement and I couldn't ignore it. The statement is a double negative and I'm sure gives the wrong impression than what was intended.

If you take things out of context, that is what usually happens.  I used a double negative instead of a positive precisely because of context.  No, I did not mean the positive.  I meant the double negative.  Apply that to the additional explanation I gave and even you should be able to understand it.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

If you take things out of context, that is what usually happens.

Here's the whole statement:

We don't expect children to not be sexually active, while we expect adults to be sexually active.  We don't expect ANYone to be sexually active outside the bonds of marriage.  We also expect people to make reasonable and prayerful decisions on whom to marry.  And if they can't, they shouldn't be married regardless of age.

Explain your double negative to me, so it makes sense.

M.