LDS culture problem

Sweety D

22 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Don't forget Anti Christ/Devil's Child!

Never heard that one.

Let's see: Luciferian, Eternally Damned...Zesty...Exceptionally, um, Putrid, Palsy-Enhanced Luciferian, no, wait, already used that, Lame Immature, uh, Nobodies. Yeah, they were really bad guys.

OK, so I was getting the kids ready for bed last night.  Two of them still are not potty trained at night.  (I know, really old for that).  So, I sent them off to their assignments and went to get ready myself.

After everyone was in the family room I went over the list:  So, everyone in pajamas?  Yes. Brushed teeth?  Yes.  Diapers on? Huh?  It was then that I realized that the two youngest were with their mom at activity days.  Special schedule this week -- no one else had activities.

My Princess said,"Dad, I don't like diapers.  They are really ugly and make my butt look big.":D

I responded,"And I don't look good in a bikini, so what's your point?"

13 hours ago, Grunt said:

I don't know what you folks are talking about caffeine, but you can't carry a gun in church?

Depends on the state. In Utah, you can't carry in the LDS churches-(unless you have special permission??)

Edit: my knowledge about this is a few years old so may be out of date. 

Edited by eddified

12 minutes ago, eddified said:

Depends on the state. In Utah, you can't carry in the LDS churches-(unless you have special permission??)

Edit: my knowledge about this is a few years old so may be out of date. 

Thanks.   Does the church have rules about it or just local laws?   I live in a free state.  

10 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Thanks.   Does the church have rules about it or just local laws?   I live in a free state.  

The Church have rules on firearms.  It is inappropriate for people to carry firearms into church worship services because we are supposed to leave behind the concerns of the world to concentrate on the worship of God (that's why I, personally, don't bring my phone to Church).  But, police officers, law enforcers, etc., who are required to carry their firearms with them may bring such firearms to worship services.

Edited by anatess2

6 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I will preface by saying that I agree with the below policy in terms of the sacredness of the church, and yet disagree with the below policy in regard to the protection of my family at church. Most concealed carry permit holding members that I know of in my state still carry within the walls of the church, as it is not illegal.  In my area only, we once received counsel from our local bishop that while it is recommended against, that he understands the desire for protection.  I have never seen the policy enforced, ever.  Here is the official policy:

Handbook 2: Administering the Church
Section 21.2.4 - Firearms

Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.

No one will ever ask you if you have a gun or concealed weapon (unless they also have one and are trying to make a new friend).

46 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Both. The state of Utah has laws restricting it. Elsewhere (and in Utah), the church handbook has a policy placing restrictions on them (as @person0 helpfully quoted). 

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

In Utah, the wording of the law is such that the Church's policy is enforceable by law. 

In Texas the legal requirements for the wording are not quite met by the Church's statement as an outright prohibition.  So, I see it about the same as Starbuck's policy of "We'd rather you leave them at home.  But there's really nothing we're going to do about it if you come in with a gun and a license to carry."

That said, as a matter of courtesy and OPSEC, it is usually a good idea to actually keep it concealed.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

In Utah, the wording of the law is such that the Church's policy is enforceable by law. 

In Texas the legal requirements for the wording are not quite met by the Church's statement as an outright prohibition.  So, I see it about the same as Starbuck's policy of "We'd rather you leave them at home.  But there's really nothing we're going to do about it if you come in with a gun and a license to carry."

No matter what state you are in no one is going to pat you down at the door of the church and not allow you to come in. The church (like every other church out there) does everything it can to get people to come to church, not keep them away. 

A member of my bishopric is a state patrol man.  Often he has to work Sundays and can only attend during his hour "lunch" break.   He parks his police car outside, walks in with full police uniform on, conducts the meeting, and then drives off immediately afterwards.  I don't know if he carries during this time (and it's none of my business) but it is different and kind of cool. 

24 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Well, maybe that is why the missionaries haven't called me.  

Many of us here have also served full time missions.  We no longer have the mantle of authority/responsibility as full-time missionaries, but are well versed in the lesson materials and principles.  If they keep slacking off (which is highly unusual), we can certainly go through the lesson materials with you here, just ask.  I personally am also willing to call the mission office in your area and have them contact the Elders to light a fire under them to get them over to your place!

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, person0 said:

Many of us here have also served full time missions.  We no longer have the mantle of authority/responsibility as full-time missionaries, but are well versed in the lesson materials and principles.  If they keep slacking off (which is highly unusual), we can certainly go through the lesson materials with you here, just ask.  I personally am also willing to call the mission office in your area and have them contact the Elders to light a fire under them to get them over to your place!

It also doesn't hurt to make the missionaries feel welcome (not saying you aren't @Grunt). If you can afford it, order pizza for them or give them a six pack of Coke when they come down. Missionaries would love that. 

Pizza?   Ha!   When I said I live in the boonies, I meant BOONIES!  There is no pizza here.  I understand your point, though. We did prepare something for them last time but they cancelled.  They've only been once.  I'm sure it's because of where I live.  I'll probably have to keep going to church if I want information. No big deal. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

a six pack of Coke

I love it!  It is extra hilarious that you bring this up in a thread where the OP is talking about caffeine shaming.  I think I'll have me a little coke right now, since you've inspired me!  :)  In fact, my work is giving away free pizza if I go to the so called continuing education fair on the first floor.  I'm gonna have some pizza, and some coke!  It's a good day for me!  :)

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, person0 said:

I love it!  It is extra hilarious that you bring this up in a thread where the OP is talking about caffeine shaming.  I think I'll have me a little coke right now, since you've inspired me!  :)  In fact, my work is giving away free pizza if I go to the so called continuing education fair on the first floor.  I'm gonna have some pizza, and some coke!  It's a good day for me!  :)

Up north LG and I would take the missionaries out all the time for pizza and we'd always buy them a two liter bottle of soda. No one cared. Not the bishop, mission president, or anyone. 

I have this wild, revolutionary and :: gasp :: liberal idea that missionaries (and members) are more likely to be involved if you show them you appreciate what they do, instead of just nagging them or preaching to them all the time. Imagine that!

26 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Pizza?   Ha!   When I said I live in the boonies, I meant BOONIES!  There is no pizza here.  I understand your point, though. We did prepare something for them last time but they cancelled.  They've only been once.  I'm sure it's because of where I live.  I'll probably have to keep going to church if I want information. No big deal. 

I'd actually like to have a report on how the missionaries react if you would offer them some Coke along with dinner and a lesson.  Have some Sprite behind your back just in case they shy away from it.  A polite missionary will simply ask for water instead.  But I wonder.

BTW, the BOONIES is probably why they'be been missing appointments.  They don't know how to use the reminders on their phones very well.  Tell them they need to set a reminder at morning planning time.  That is: if your appointment is at 6:00 pm, they need to set a reminder 10 hours before that.

Edited by Guest

37 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

A member of my bishopric is a state patrol man.  Often he has to work Sundays and can only attend during his hour "lunch" break.   He parks his police car outside, walks in with full police uniform on, conducts the meeting, and then drives off immediately afterwards.  I don't know if he carries during this time (and it's none of my business) but it is different and kind of cool. 

mhmm. And does @prisonchaplain conduct meetings for your non-member neighbors?

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

I thought @mirkwood said he was the Valiant 10 teacher.

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'd actually like to have a report on how the missionaries react if you would offer them some Coke along with dinner and a lesson.  Have some Sprite behind your back just in case they shy away from it.  A polite missionary will simply ask for water instead.  But I wonder.

BTW, the BOONIES is probably why they'be been missing appointments.  They don't know how to use the reminders on their phones very well.  Tell them they need to set a reminder at morning planning time.  That is: if your appointment is at 6:00 pm, they need to set a reminder 10 hours before that.

When I was on my mission, I was offered ICED TEA!  And it was by the bishop's wife of the ward I was in, no less!

My Swiss companion downed the iced tea without a complaint.  I didn't touch it and complimented the bishop's wife on the rest of her very good meal.  

After the appointment, my Swiss companion chided me for not drinking the iced tea.  I informed him it was against the Word of Wisdom.  He said, "no it isn't!"  Sigh...

I finally did get a taste of iced tea when eating at a restaurant on my 29th birthday and a waiter refilled my Coke with Iced Tea.  It may be the most disgusting thing I have ever ingested in my entire life.

My mission president also gave me booze-filled chocolates accidentally for my birthday, but that's another story...

Edited by DoctorLemon

24 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

We don't drink soda in my house so I don't even have Coke on hand.   My poor children are deprived.

17 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

My Swiss companion downed the iced tea without a complaint.  I didn't touch it and complimented the bishop's wife on the rest of her very good meal.  

After the appointment, my Swiss companion chided me for not drinking the iced tea.  I informed him it was against the Word of Wisdom.  He said, "no it isn't!"  Sigh...

I finally did get a taste of iced tea when eating at a restaurant on my 29th birthday and a waiter refilled my Coke with Iced Tea.  It may be the most disgusting thing I have ever ingested in my entire life.

When I was a child, my family went to a Chinese restaurant.  Before pouring the tea, I asked if the tea was herbal tea or regular tea.  My dad said it was herbal tea.  My mom asked,"Really?  I didn't know that."

"Oh, yes it is."

We all drank it.  I thought it was flavorless colored liquid.  I added about four sugar packets just to give it flavor.  From that point on felt free to drink the tea in Chinese restaurants.  It was only when I was a junior in college that someone informed me that it was in fact not herbal tea.  I was shocked.  I haven't partaken since.  But those in the conversation asked,"How could you not have known that Chinese tea is real tea?  You know, all the tea in China?"

I was 8 years old.  I asked my father.  He told me.  I believed him.  What do you want?

My father simply didn't want to "spoil the mood" of eating at a Chinese restaurant with something so "petty" as the Word of Wisdom.  This was not the first time that I realized that my parent's adherence to gospel principles (commandments or standards) was not what I had hoped it was.  But I'm trying to do better than they did.

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, Grunt said:

We don't drink soda in my house so I don't even have Coke on hand.   My poor children are deprived.

We normally don't either simply because of cost.  My wife actively tries to get us to not have sugar in the house because of health reasons.  I just don't agree.  But she's the one who does the grocery shopping and much of the cooking, so, we eat what she wants.

But if you were to get something for a special occasion...  Just thinking out loud. ;)

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • pam locked this topic