LDS culture problem

Sweety D

Guest MormonGator
Just now, zil said:

I leave the church every Sunday.

I think Florida has an issue with people leaving the church. Not being snotty or disrespectful, but I've been told that "a lot of people move down here and stop going to church" from various people in my ward. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, eddified said:

That's what I try to do, usually. 

I do it as well (ignore people) and I'm SURE people ignore me too- so take what I say with a huge grain of salt:

It should only be done if the two of you have tried talking behind the scenes and it still doesn't work out. If you've tried to resolve it via private message and you still don't get along, then ignore them. You owe at least that much to the other person, just to try. And keep the lines of communication semi open for awhile. 

Just my thoughts. 

Edited by MormonGator

30 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Yes, our previous bishop left the church, the first counselor to the bishop after him left the church, the previous young women's president left the church...

Maybe it's because someone told them they shouldn't be watching Game of Thrones.

Just now, Just_A_Guy said:

Hey--a loving God wouldn't want me to quit watching simulations of mostly-nude women being violently deflowered on HBO.

Wait....how do you know that's what GOT depicts? :detective:

(I read somewhere it was fully nude women being violently....um.......never mind.....)

17 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Hey--a loving God wouldn't want me to quit watching simulations of mostly-nude women being violently deflowered on HBO.

When I was 10, I got rebuked by a friend for watching 'Lilo and Stitch' on Sunday... I thought I was bad O.o

8 hours ago, Backroads said:

Care to explain how you know nobody wants to see you in a bikini? What event led to this knowledge? Because I assume you aren't just guessing you look bad in a bikini but know this for a verifiable fact...

Eh, the last one I tried on wasn't flattering. I scared everyone at the beach, people were running away, even the seagulls left. Made me sad :(

57 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

The fact that VidAngel bothers to edit something so repulsive (to me..., not judging others) make me go "hmm....".

Disclaimer: I haven't seen GoT, but I believe I've heard enough to pass judgement on whether it's worth my time.

3 hours ago, Vort said:

I was born in 1963. I am proud of this fact. I think it marks me as a person of more-than-normal intelligence and moral virtue. I classify myself as a 1963er, and I tend to look askance at those inferiors born outside the appointed year.

Now, I admit that many of those born before 1963 have some virtues. They might even be admirable. There is certainly honor in being born in, say, 1956. But those born in, for example, 1972 are just slackers. And don't even get me started on the 1981ers. Pathetic.

67.jpg

2 hours ago, zil said:

That.  I hear these complaints all the time and yet I have never experienced nor witnessed Sister A telling Brother B he's sinning if he watches R-rated movies / drinks caffeine.  Nor have I witnessed Brother B telling Sister A that bikini she wore on Saturday was sinful.

Never. Not once.

So where are all these people?

What I have heard are talks and lessons repeating counsel from prophets and apostles, supported by scripture, admonishing the saints to refrain from immodesty, harmful substances, and forms of entertainment which do not reflect church standards.  Now if someone takes such talks and lessons as a personal affront and uses them as an excuse to leave the Church, well, they're choosing to turn their backs on the counsel of God - they're not leaving because someone has exercised unrighteous judgement against them, they're leaving because they don't want to be told their pet habit / entertainment / attire is against the counsel given to us by prophets of God.  And if that's a valid reason to stop giving talks admonishing better choices, then we should stop giving talks at all, and we can all just stay home and watch sports on the sabbath.

I've heard the caffeine statements, but not the others.

I personally experienced the, "you can't carry a gun in church" stupidity, but I resolved that myself.  :)

Edited by mirkwood

1 minute ago, mirkwood said:

I've heard the caffeine statements, but not the others.

I personally experience the, "you can't carry a gun in church" stupidity, but I resolved that myself.  :)

I don't know what you folks are talking about caffeine, but you can't carry a gun in church?

2 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Back in my wilder teenage days I wore a Nine Inch Nails t-shirt to a church dance.

That got a bishop complaint for my "inappropriate music choices"!

(just in case your are wondering, I have repented and cleaned up my music choices since)

Wonderful news!  I'm still trying to fix @MormonGator's musical choices.

6 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

I personally experienced the, "you can't carry a gun in church" stupidity, but...

*gravely voice* ...I resolved that myself.

04+wyatt-earp-in-1887.jpg

Not entirely sure why this came to mind...

Edited by The Folk Prophet

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • pam locked this topic