Am I the only aware member with alarm bells going off in his head?

Alex

20 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I constantly work on my thoughts and language patterns.

I'm actually amazed at that other thread. I was making honest and real efforts to engage without hostility (admitting that it decayed towards the end somewhat).

And for what it's worth -- not meaning to pick on him -- but of all the people in the forum one of the ones I've had the most direct personal conflict with is the one being used as an example of how to be nice.  So you and @anatess2 will have to forgive me if I take that example with a grain of salt. Now if she'd used @Just_A_Guy or @prisonchaplain as examples of civility I'd be on board.

But they don't do nicety.  They're just... ah.. uhm...  ok, I can only come up with one descriptor.  Presidential.

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

But they don't do nicety.  They're just... ah.. uhm...  ok, I can only come up with one descriptor.  Presidential.

Then, per my understanding of your understanding of what a nicety is, I resoundingly reject niceties as an important or useful tool in the communications arsenal.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Then, per my understanding of your understanding of what a nicety is, I resoundingly reject niceties as an important or useful tool in the communications arsenal.

This is an interesting sentence.  Interesting choice of words.

Not that I necessarily agree or disagree, but I once shared a house with a professor of "communications."  This wasn't telecom, but rather speech.  She said that while the class she taught was titled "communications" it was really a class on rhetoric.  By "rhetoric" she meant the use of words (both spoken and written) to persuade others to a point of view.  I came to understand the concept that communication can only happen when the listener lowers his walls of communication he's already built up.  If they refuse to listen because of emotion, it is impossible to communicate anything at all.

One of the best ways to get them to lower their walls is through gentle persuasion.  Find common ground first.  Build on that until they see you're on their side.  Then from their side walk them over to your side.  Hence, as tools of persuasion, "niceties" are sometimes necessary tools of communication.

Gator skillfully used the method she would have outlined to be just nice enough to keep the person's guard down enough for the message to get through.  And I believe laxbot (or whatever his name is) received the message that the prophets would probably tell us.  The reception to the message was only possible because of the niceties.  

So, that's what an English degree does for you?  Well done, @MormonGator.

As a non-confrontational example:

I was working on a project where I'd been given certain information and certain direction.  My project manager came in and told me all sorts of data and information about the project that was completely just a jumble in my mind because it didn't fit into the paradigm for the project I'd been given.  When we couldn't communicate properly, and we struggled for several minutes not understanding each other.  

I knew I had to follow his directives.  But there was this wall of understanding that simply wouldn't go down.  I had to stop everything and ask,"Okay, I truly am not understanding anything you're saying.  I think we're talking about vastly different things even though it is the same project.  Let me tell you where I am.  Then I need you to walk me to where you are."  I told him where I was.  He understood.  In three sentences he was able to bring me to where he was.  I shifted gears.  We moved forward with the project.

If communication is the key, the first thing is to communicate where we each are so we can map the road between.

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

Wait. Was that a nicety?

"Interesting" is such an ambiguous word. :D

Actually, I did mean it as a neutral word so that I wouldn't get your walls put up or down.  I like them just where they are. :D

14 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

This is an interesting sentence.  Interesting choice of words.

Not that I necessarily agree or disagree, but I once shared a house with a professor of "communications."  This wasn't telecom, but rather speech.  She said that while the class she taught was titled "communications" it was really a class on rhetoric.  By "rhetoric" she meant the use of words (both spoken and written) to persuade others to a point of view.  I came to understand the concept that communication can only happen when the listener lowers his walls of communication he's already built up.  If they refuse to listen because of emotion, it is impossible to communicate anything at all.

One of the best ways to get them to lower their walls is through gentle persuasion.  Find common ground first.  Build on that until they see you're on their side.  Then from their side walk them over to your side.  Hence, as tools of persuasion, "niceties" are sometimes necessary tools of communication.

Gator skillfully used the method she would have outlined to be just nice enough to keep the person's guard down enough for the message to get through.  And I believe laxbot (or whatever his name is) received the message that the prophets would probably tell us.  The reception to the message was only possible because of the niceties.  

So, that's what an English degree does for you?  Well done, @MormonGator.

As a non-confrontational example:

I was working on a project where I'd been given certain information and certain direction.  My project manager came in and told me all sorts of data and information about the project that was completely just a jumble in my mind because it didn't fit into the paradigm for the project I'd been given.  When we couldn't communicate properly, and we struggled for several minutes not understanding each other.  

I knew I had to follow his directives.  But there was this wall of understanding that simply wouldn't go down.  I had to stop everything and ask,"Okay, I truly am not understanding anything you're saying.  I think we're talking about vastly different things even though it is the same project.  Let me tell you where I am.  Then I need you to walk me to where you are."  I told him where I was.  He understood.  In three sentences he was able to bring me to where he was.  I shifted gears.  We moved forward with the project.

If communication is the key, the first thing is to communicate where we each are so we can map the road between.

Agreed. I heard a keynote speech (Utah 100) the other week and the topic was respect. He used an example of pro-lifers and pro-choice (a poor example I believe for his point, but that is...well...I digress...the part that was important...). He said they, in meeting together, established rules (I think it was moderated) that the one side had to summarize the other side's position to the other side's satisfaction before they could respond. I've actually, in that regard, made some efforts to try and ask, "Is this what you mean" a bit more (though I could do better) before actually replying. I'm finding that it tends to make no difference though as the questions are still viewed as hostile apparently. But that doesn't mean it isn't a good practice to work on and improve.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

1 hour ago, prisonchaplain said:

Okay, I've not followed this thread, but got a notice that my name was invoked as some kind of nice communicator...presidential even.  Wait, did I just get compared to POTUS???  :eek:

WAIT WHAT?  Did you just call POTUS Presidential???   Hallelujah!

In the spirit of this thread on communicating effectively, the question when posting is:  Do I want to rally my troops, influence my ideological/theological opponents, or win the logic debate. My guess is that most are interested in the first two options, and a few here really try to just demonstrate their logic in point-by-point 'debate.' Along that line, someone in my workplace mentioned the other day that it seems most people either love POTUS or hate him. I go with the third option. There are times when I really love him. For example, I would have called DPRK's leader "Little Rock Boy." I thought POTUS exercised a fair deal of restraint.  On immigration and trade I have different thoughts about POTUS (catch the nicety in that sentence???).  Call it a love/hate relationship. Hey, at least I'm authentic.  :conscience:

Guest MormonGator
28 minutes ago, zil said:

Actually, this thread is supposed to be about the final anti-Christ, but I guess that was the first communication casualty.

It should be obvious to everyone that the anti-Christ is here, and he is around us. Come on people. It's clearly @mirkwood

2 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

In the spirit of this thread on communicating effectively, the question when posting is:  Do I want to rally my troops, influence my ideological/theological opponents, or win the logic debate. My guess is that most are interested in the first two options, and a few here really try to just demonstrate their logic in point-by-point 'debate.' Along that line, someone in my workplace mentioned the other day that it seems most people either love POTUS or hate him. I go with the third option. There are times when I really love him. For example, I would have called DPRK's leader "Little Rock Boy." I thought POTUS exercised a fair deal of restraint.  On immigration and trade I have different thoughts about POTUS (catch the nicety in that sentence???).  Call it a love/hate relationship. Hey, at least I'm authentic.  :conscience:

Continuing with the derailment for a minute here...

My SOP is - I either love or hate (or somewhere in between) POLICIES.  The only requirement I need from the person himself is that he has the ability to implement the policies I love and block the policies I hate.

That said... I LOVE TRUMP!  Boooyah!  These past few months was just... agghh.  Too fun!

On 11/15/2017 at 8:54 AM, Alex said:

Daniel 8:25 KJV

And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

Another day, another lightning fast change from MBS.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20171115-israel-and-saudi-co-sponsor-anti-assad-un-resolution/

Hmm, it doesn't worry me that MBS moved against another prince of Saud who opposed him (the helicopter crash that killed prince Mansour 2 weeks ago) because that's a Machiavellian means that is played out in many nations on earth but it's the praise for MBS's moves to peace, tolerance and moderation that has me rolling my eyes. Well, at least some are cautious-

http://www.businessinsider.com/doubt-about-saudi-prince-mohammed-bin-salman-reputation-as-reformer-2017-11?IR=T

According to the book of Revelations, the last A/C is attacked and nearly killed.

Well, MBS has many enemies within the house of Saud and the establishment in Saudi Arabia who want him gone so that's another thing to watch for- him coming back from the death's door following an attack on his life... and right now, it's prince Faysal who is publicly denying MBS was behind the helicopter crash that killed Faysal's brother. In secret, that branch of the house of Saud will now be plotting revenge against MBS.

So far the only things that point to MBS being the A/C are his public love of 'peace' and the fact that he is the son of one of the ten kings of the house of Saud. Yeah, it ain't much to form a theory upon but it's the unnatural speed of change here that has me paying attention.

Revelation 13:9-10 is interesting because it defines an attribute of the saints in the last days- patience with what is prevailing around them.

9If any man have an ear, let him hear.

10He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

Anyway, it's after the A/C is miraculously restored to health that a false prophet arrives who performs miracles and forces the ignorant to accept the A/C as their savior.

Hmm, the assertion that the brethren will identify the A/C is correct; when the A/C begins actively opposing the work of God. At the moment, I think we're seeing the sudden rise of the A/C though- he is building his power base.

Q- Would the general authorities tell us now that the A/C is building his power base, or words to that effect?

A- Christ told the apostles that one of them was about to betray him and how to recognize the betrayer. Maybe the general authorities would warn us of an action about to be performed by the A/C, leaving it up to us to recognize it ?

Anyway, I am interested in your thoughts pertaining to the subject, for here is the (my) patience.

Edited by Alex
emphasis

2 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Are you sure you are really you? (Sounds like a good question for someone who studied philosophy)

"I think, therefore I am."  - Rene Descartes.

Because I can think, I have a mind that is functioning somewhere and therefore I exist.  So yes, I am sure I am really me.

Edited by DoctorLemon

That's fine for people who think but we're talking about Gator here. And from what I can remember of Descartes, he never allowed for the possibility that the thoughts he thought he was thinking could have been inserted into his head by an alien exercising some form of mind control. So being aware of thoughts in our head is not a sure sign that we exist.