Am I the only aware member with alarm bells going off in his head?

Alex

2 hours ago, JoCa said:

If you aren't squirling nuts for the winter right now . . . .you are nuts (pun intended).

Always good advice, regardless of the current economic or geopolitical climate.  

https://www.lds.org/manual/all-is-safely-gathered-in-family-home-storage/all-is-safely-gathered-in-family-home-storage?lang=eng&_r=1

The Basics of Family Home Storage

Three-Month Supply
Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet. One way to do this is to purchase a few extra items each week to build a one-week supply of food. Then you can gradually increase your supply until it is sufficient for three months. These items should be rotated regularly to avoid spoilage.

Drinking Water
Store drinking water for circumstances in which the water supply may be polluted or disrupted.
If water comes directly from a good, pretreated source then no additional purification is needed; otherwise, pretreat water before use. Store water in sturdy, leak-proof, breakage-resistant containers. Consider using plastic bottles commonly used for juices and soda.
Keep water containers away from heat sources and direct sunlight.

Financial Reserve
Establish a financial reserve by saving a little money each week and gradually increasing it to a reasonable amount.

Longer-Term Supply
For longer-term needs, and where permitted, gradually build a supply with food that will last a long time and that you can use to stay alive, such as wheat, white rice, and beans.

2 hours ago, JoCa said:

If you aren't squirling nuts for the winter right now . . . .you are nuts (pun intended).

If you haven't been taught to do this since you were born - regardless of what's going on in the economy - your parents were not very wise.

Edited by anatess2

Daniel 8:25 KJV

And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

Hmm, and the message in Judges 7:5-7 is about the wisdom of being aware.

I too thirst for peace, especially for persecuted Maronite Christians but, I choose to question this magnanimous source of cool-aid instead of gulping it straight down.

Daniel 7:24

And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings.

And just for those who care, the prince is the son of one of the ten kings/rulers of the house of Saud.

Q- Is he diverse from the ten?

A- Yes, he sure is for he offers peace!

We were given these scriptures to figure them out- they are not given to gather dust on bookshelves. I'm watching to see which three kings/rulers are subdued in the coming years by this 'bringer of peace' because I sense he's the great deceiver.

Edited by Alex
additional info

9 hours ago, Carborendum said:

He got... discouraged from coming back to the site.  I'm afraid I am to blame for putting the final nail in the coffin.  I told him in person that he should come back.  But he felt he wasn't welcome.  His... ehrr... bold... nature was not taken well on the site.

Is this a polite way of telling me I'm not welcome?

10 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Hey!  How's that guy?  Did you lock him in a closet?  We need him back here!  I'd like to see him take on a few of our new hobby horse riders and see what shakes out!  I would love to introduce him to @Grunt!  I think they're gonna like each other.

10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

He got... discouraged from coming back to the site.  I'm afraid I am to blame for putting the final nail in the coffin.  I told him in person that he should come back.  But he felt he wasn't welcome.  His... ehrr... bold... nature was not taken well on the site.

I'm sorry to hear that. I really liked him.

Guest MormonGator

I share your concern my friend and I think it's great of you to be so aware. I admire that, for sure. 

I think the modern day prophets would tell us if the anti-Christ was on the way. I'm no expert of course. 

11 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I share your concern my friend and I think it's great of you to be so aware. I admire that, for sure. 

I think the modern day prophets would tell us if the anti-Christ was on the way. I'm no expert of course. 

@The Folk Prophet, may I present to you... niceties.

16 hours ago, Alex said:

We were given these scriptures to figure them out- they are not given to gather dust on bookshelves. I'm watching to see which three kings/rulers are subdued in the coming years by this 'bringer of peace' because I sense he's the great deceiver.

We were given these scriptures not so we can unrighteously judge people.  Lots of people interpret Rev 17-18 as the Catholic Church being the whore of Babylon.  Imagine working side-by-side with Catholics in trying to peform some great service while you're thinking this church is the whore of Babylon.  It's crippling!  And I wish doomsday people would just stop it.  Doomsday will come.  It cannot be stopped.  If it's the Prince, it's the Prince.  If it's NOT THE PRINCE, you just condemned yourself.

1 hour ago, zil said:

He didn't agree.  He complemented and then subtly disagreed - apparently doing it so well that it looked like agreement.

I specifically meant: 

13 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I share your concern

...which is an agreement.

6 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I specifically meant: 

...which is an agreement.

2 minutes ago, zil said:

I would call it a partial agreement, but OK.

Nicety.  Not an agreement nor partial agreement nor disagreement.  Just something nice to say.  If this would have been IRL, he would be complimenting him on his hair...

@anatess2 and @zil, let's say for a moment that Mormon Gator didn't share the concern, didn't think it was great to be so aware because it was clearly looking beyond the mark, and didn't admire it. 

Where does that leave him as to "niceties"?

Because the compliment before the criticism typically, in my experience, doesn't come across as particularly sincere and often seems fairly patronizing. (As in, "I commend you for your efforts...but...you're full of it...")

1 minute ago, The Folk Prophet said:

@anatess2 and @zil, let's say for a moment that Mormon Gator didn't share the concern, didn't think it was great to be so aware because it was clearly looking beyond the mark, and didn't admire it. 

Because the compliment before the criticism typically, in my experience, doesn't come across as particularly sincere and often seems fairly patronizing. (As in, "I commend you for your efforts...but...you're full of it...")

Oh oh oh!  I know this one!  

Say it until you mean it?

Gah!  I knew I would get an F!

Edited by anatess2

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Say it until you mean it?

Okay...I'll give it a shot.

@anatess2, I commend you for your efforts in explaining "niceties" to me, but you suck at it.

:dude:

Edited by The Folk Prophet

2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Perhaps the more useful thing will be to take one of your posts which sounds unnecessarily confrontational and rewrite it to use nicer language, if one of us can remember.

Of course, I doubt that will do anyone any good unless you intend to actually change your thought and language patterns.

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

Okay...I'll give it a shot.

@anatess2, I commend you for your efforts in explaining "niceties" to me, but you suck at it.

:dude:

That did it for me, brother!  That dancing guy did it!  :clap:

All kidding aside.  I don't do niceties because not only do I not know how, I just don't understand why it is nicety.  If I ask my husband Do I look fat?  I expect him to say Yes you look fat if I do.  And if I ask, "Why do I look fat?" and he answers "because you're fat", that would be nicer in my opinion than saying, "oh, you look alright, you got great hair!".

9 minutes ago, zil said:

Perhaps the more useful thing will be to take one of your posts which sounds unnecessarily confrontational and rewrite it to use nicer language, if one of us can remember.

Of course, I doubt that will do anyone any good unless you intend to actually change your thought and language patterns.

I constantly work on my thoughts and language patterns.

I'm actually amazed at that other thread. I was making honest and real efforts to engage without hostility (admitting that it decayed towards the end somewhat).

And for what it's worth -- not meaning to pick on him -- but of all the people in the forum one of the ones I've had the most direct personal conflict with is the one being used as an example of how to be nice.  So you and @anatess2 will have to forgive me if I take that example with a grain of salt. Now if she'd used @Just_A_Guy or @prisonchaplain as examples of civility I'd be on board.

Edited by The Folk Prophet