NO MORE HOME/VISITING TEACHING!


skippy740
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, jewels8 said:

Yes, I know that had changed.  I guess I needed to use different terminology.  What I meant is , will there still be some sort of monthly guidance in the Ensign for ministering?  I think their might be

I mean, I hope the principles will still continue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jewels8 said:

Yes, I know that had changed.  I guess I needed to use different terminology.  What I meant is , will there still be some sort of monthly guidance in the Ensign for ministering?  I think their might be

The Ensign articles might well include things which you can learn from and use for ministering (just as they always have), but it's my understanding that there will not be any articles explicitly intended for that purpose.  IMO, this makes sense as the intent is that people be guided by the Spirit.  So long as that monthly article exists, many will use it as a crutch and not seek the guidance of the Spirit to customize their ministering to each assigned person.  Without that article, they have no other option.

(I could be wrong, or they may change their minds, but all indications are that such articles will no longer appear in the Ensign as a regular monthly feature.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zil said:

The Ensign articles might well include things which you can learn from and use for ministering (just as they always have), but it's my understanding that there will not be any articles explicitly intended for that purpose.  IMO, this makes sense as the intent is that people be guided by the Spirit.  So long as that monthly article exists, many will use it as a crutch and not seek the guidance of the Spirit to customize their ministering to each assigned person.  Without that article, they have no other option.

(I could be wrong, or they may change their minds, but all indications are that such articles will no longer appear in the Ensign as a regular monthly feature.)

also @jewels8

I think there is an effort to get away from “by-the-book” thinking and using Ensign articles as a “visit crutch”.  I do not know if I understand this myself but because of past “fellowshipping” efforts – I think the term “Minister” is being used in a very broad meaning of the term.  I think there is an effort to get relationships away from thinking in terms of lessons or some kind of religious “project”.  I am thinking it is an effort to move relationships more towards “friends and family” kind of thinking.

 

The Traveler

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

also @jewels8

I think there is an effort to get away from “by-the-book” thinking and using Ensign articles as a “visit crutch”.  I do not know if I understand this myself but because of past “fellowshipping” efforts – I think the term “Minister” is being used in a very broad meaning of the term.  I think there is an effort to get relationships away from thinking in terms of lessons or some kind of religious “project”.  I am thinking it is an effort to move relationships more towards “friends and family” kind of thinking.

 

The Traveler

This is exactly why I told our branch council I was excited about it.  I really loved the example used in conference (I can't remember if it was Holland or Bingham) of ministering by attending a child's ball game together.  Sign me up for that!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, seashmore said:

This is exactly why I told our branch council I was excited about it.  I really loved the example used in conference (I can't remember if it was Holland or Bingham) of ministering by attending a child's ball game together.  Sign me up for that!!

The FAQ has some similar examples (including that one, I think).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2018 at 7:33 AM, jewels8 said:

I mean, I hope the principles will still continue

Looks like I was wrong.  The following is a quote from a letter sent to people in leadership callings:

Quote

Additional information, titled “Ministering Principles,” will be included in upcoming issues of the Liahona and Ensign.

Whether that's on-going or just for a while isn't clear, but it appears we'll have these at least for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the purposes of changing the name was made apparent to me in the scriptures.

Quote

These [in the telestial kingdom] are they who receive not of his fulness in the eternal world, but of the Holy Spirit through the ministration of the terrestrial;And the terrestrial through the ministration of the celestial.

So, if you 

  • minister but are not ministered to, you are celestial!
  • minister and are ministered to, you are terrestrial.
  • do not minister but are ministered to, you are telestial!

Enjoy your quarterly chats!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mordorbund said:

One of the purposes of changing the name was made apparent to me in the scriptures.

So, if you 

  • minister but are not ministered to, you are celestial!
  • minister and are ministered to, you are terrestrial.
  • do not minister but are ministered to, you are telestial!

Enjoy your quarterly chats!

I knew that I was Celestial material! Have never seen ministering sister. She has never let me know about the assignment. I found her name on the Relief Society assignment sheet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2018 at 3:03 PM, mordorbund said:

So, if you 

  • minister but are not ministered to, you are celestial!
  • minister and are ministered to, you are terrestrial.
  • do not minister but are ministered to, you are telestial!

What if I don't minister and am not ministered to? All I see left is outer darkness...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, SilentOne said:

What if I don't minister and am not ministered to? All I see left is outer darkness...

That would be correct.  But keep in mind, he's talking about the afterlife.  Not this life.

Not that I necessarily agree with this rubrik.  But it's an interesting way of looking at the importance of service.

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share