For Vort

LDSGator

3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Once again, the frightful Sheldon from the detestable Big Bang Theory (I'm sorry to say):

I'm a bit surprised Sheldon says 32ft/s/s instead of 9.81ms-2. He's usually a stickler for metric!

Lol. It all comes back to that show I guess. 

5 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Once again, the frightful Sheldon from the detestable Big Bang Theory (I'm sorry to say):

Sheldon assumes that the deceleration would be achieved by the physical strength of his arms alone.  But many theorize that his ability to fly comes from his ability to generate gravitons from his body.  There was even a story arc here he developed telekinesis that was derived from his flight ability.  But that was never fully explained.

Booh-yah!!!  Take that, Sheldon!!!

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Sheldon assumes that the deceleration would be achieved by the physical strength of his arms alone.  But many theorize that his ability to fly comes from his ability to generate gravitons from his body.  There was even a story arc here he developed telekinesis that was derived from his flight ability.  But that was never fully explained.

Booh-yah!!!  Take that, Sheldon!!!

It's been inconsistent throughout the duration of the franchise. 

In the original issues of the series, it was explained that Krypton's gravity was so much heavier than Earth's that in time all Kryptonians evolved to deal with the gravity. As a result, Superman has to actually hold himself back at times because he's so strong he can leap tall buildings or outrun a steam engine. 

More recent incarnations have it that solar radiation produced by Earth's yellow sun empower Kryptonians with all sorts of advanced abilities. 

7 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

In the original issues of the series, it was explained that Krypton's gravity was so much heavier than Earth's that in time all Kryptonians evolved to deal with the gravity.

You may remember a TV show from the 1970s called "The Fantastic Journey". Roddy McDowall was in it. It also starred a little-known but much-adored actress called Katie Saylor who played a character called Liana. Liana's father was human, but her mother came from a planet with a much stronger gravity than Earth. Consequently she inherited half her mother's "super-strength".

The use made of Liana's "super-strength" in episode plots was quite pitiful. In fact, her most utilised super-power was her ability to communicate telepathically with her cat Sil-El. (Don't tell me that doesn't sound Kryptonian!) It's as if the only power Wonder Woman ever used was her ability to speak any language!

32 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

In the original issues of the series, it was explained that Krypton's gravity was so much heavier than Earth's that in time all Kryptonians evolved to deal with the gravity. As a result, Superman has to actually hold himself back at times because he's so strong he can leap tall buildings or outrun a steam engine. 

You know why that doesn't make sense, right? (even within the comics assumptions).

Edited by Carborendum

9 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

I'm a bit surprised Sheldon says 32ft/s/s instead of 9.81ms-2. He's usually a stickler for metric!

Besides, it's 32.2 ft/s2. If you're going to 3 sig figs metric, you should do 3 sig figs imperial.

BTW, Gator's OP is spot-on that those who major in physics (or probably any engineering degree) spend the rest of their lives scoffing and shaking their heads at Hollywood productions that ignore the laws of physics. Doesn't necessarily ruin the movie, but it does set the expectations bar higher.

12 hours ago, Vort said:

BTW, Gator's OP is spot-on that those who major in physics (or probably any engineering degree) spend the rest of their lives scoffing and shaking their heads at Hollywood productions that ignore the laws of physics. Doesn't necessarily ruin the movie, but it does set the expectations bar higher.

I had a buddy in college who majored in engineering or something like that. I looked through one of his textbooks and didn’t even understand the symbols, much less the numbers.

He was a super nice guy and kindly said he didn’t understand how English majors could write ten page papers on Shakespeare plays. This guy was so bright that he almost certainly could have excelled at any major he picked. 

Edited by LDSGator

20 hours ago, Vort said:

Law school has the same effect.

On 5/4/2023 at 11:47 PM, Vort said:

I remember a scene where a hero and villain were both trapped in a basement with gasoline spraying all over (soaking them both).  When it stopped, the hero told the villain if he fired his gun, the entire room would explode. The hero had no gun.

So, they proceeded to have a knife fight while breathing in all the poison vapors and building up a sweat.

When the room began igniting as the door was finally unlocked, the hero dove out of the opening as flames were licking her ears.  But she did not catch fire even after being soaked in the gasoline.

... Yeah...  I had a problem with pretty much that entire scene.

7 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I'll bet you loved My Cousin Vinny and A Few Good Men.

My evidence professor actually used quite a few clips from My Cousin Vinnie.  I haven’t watched it all the way through, but apparently they do pretty well on the procedural aspects of trial.

8 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I remember a scene where a hero and villain were both trapped in a basement with gasoline spraying all over (soaking them both).  When it stopped, the hero told the villain if he fired his gun, the entire room would explode. The hero had no gun.

So, they proceeded to have a knife fight while breathing in all the poison vapors and building up a sweat.

When the room began igniting as the door was finally unlocked, the hero dove out of the opening as flames were licking her ears.  But she did not catch fire even after being soaked in the gasoline.

... Yeah...  I had a problem with pretty much that entire scene.

I'm on a Mythbusters fan site. Back when the show was still more active, we were forever talking about movies and dodgy physics in them. 

Sadly, it's just four or five of us left now. 

1 hour ago, Ironhold said:

I'm on a Mythbusters fan site. Back when the show was still more active, we were forever talking about movies and dodgy physics in them. 

Sadly, it's just four or five of us left now. 

In reference to the OP.  I did still appreciate the otherwise well-choreographed fight scene.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 6:05 PM, Jamie123 said:

You may remember a TV show from the 1970s called "The Fantastic Journey". Roddy McDowall was in it. It also starred a little-known but much-adored actress called Katie Saylor who played a character called Liana. Liana's father was human, but her mother came from a planet with a much stronger gravity than Earth. Consequently she inherited half her mother's "super-strength".

The use made of Liana's "super-strength" in episode plots was quite pitiful. In fact, her most utilised super-power was her ability to communicate telepathically with her cat Sil-El. (Don't tell me that doesn't sound Kryptonian!) It's as if the only power Wonder Woman ever used was her ability to speak any language!

I just found this picture of the cast of The Fantastic Journey, Katie Saylor on the far left with Roddy McDowall's hand draped over her. You'll also recognise Ike Eisenmann in the front middle - best remembered as the kid from Escape to Witch Mountain. The actor everyone is supposed to remember is Jared Martin (far right) who apparently played someone-or-other in Dallas. I never watched Dallas. All I know about Dallas is that that JR got shot - though I've no idea by whom, or why.

tumblr_nl3vc3MAkD1r9xd1wo1_400.jpg.6c41d692d49c1f714f498d497223f163.jpg

Edited by Jamie123

On 5/5/2023 at 11:12 AM, LDSGator said:

I had a buddy in college who majored in engineering or something like that. I looked through one of his textbooks and didn’t even understand the symbols, much less the numbers.

He was a super nice guy and kindly said he didn’t understand how English majors could write ten page papers on Shakespeare plays. This guy was so bright that he almost certainly could have excelled at any major he picked. 

I would say...very easily.

There are other majors that also allow you to type VERY long responses to very short questions...

🙂

On 5/5/2023 at 12:47 AM, Vort said:

If a physics degree is necessary to be a perpetrator of this phenomenon, I think I better go get me one, because I point stuff like that out all the time to my wife! 😆

I have never seen an entire episode of TBBT but lately I've seen so many clips of it, the show looks brilliant.  I think it's going to be one that I binge watch.