After Death the movie

laronius

I am a professional entertainment writer. 

I also have an MBA and have, for all intents and purposes, been trained in psychological warfare. 

That being said - 

While the film made a pretense of being an investigation into the phenomenon of near-death experiences, the structure of the film and the way various elements are arranged violate the basic tenets of how a documentary film should be. In particular, the way everything is set up nudges the viewer towards a generalized Protestant understanding of the afterlife, such that one can argue the film is in a way propaganda. 

However...

One of the people who they interviewed did describe an experience in a place he referred to as "outer darkness", so make of that what you will...

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I hadn't even heard of it until now.  Looks to be a documentary type film.

It looks like there is a VAST difference between the film critics reviews and the audience reviews (Critics going down as far as 22% approval and Audience reviews on some sites going up as high as 88%).

Yeah I had noticed. Not super unusual though. 

2 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

I am a professional entertainment writer. 

I also have an MBA and have, for all intents and purposes, been trained in psychological warfare. 

That being said - 

While the film made a pretense of being an investigation into the phenomenon of near-death experiences, the structure of the film and the way various elements are arranged violate the basic tenets of how a documentary film should be. In particular, the way everything is set up nudges the viewer towards a generalized Protestant understanding of the afterlife, such that one can argue the film is in a way propaganda. 

However...

One of the people who they interviewed did describe an experience in a place he referred to as "outer darkness", so make of that what you will...

Considering the studio that made the "movie," I kind of expected that. 

It sounds like you have seen it. In your opinion, do you think a LDS would come away feeling somewhat edified or at least finding it interesting? Or is it too diluted of truth or just plain bizarre?

5 minutes ago, laronius said:

Considering the studio that made the "movie," I kind of expected that. 

It sounds like you have seen it. In your opinion, do you think a LDS would come away feeling somewhat edified or at least finding it interesting? Or is it too diluted of truth or just plain bizarre?

Let's just say that each person will likely have an individual reaction based on their own individual experiences. 

1 hour ago, Ironhold said:

However...

The term "Outer Darkness" is not completely unknown to sectarians.

It is used three times in the Gospel of Matthew.

21 hours ago, Ironhold said:

the way everything is set up nudges the viewer towards a generalized Protestant understanding of the afterlife, such that one can argue the film is in a way propaganda. ... However... One of the people who they interviewed did describe an experience in a place he referred to as "outer darkness", so make of that what you will...

If I am not mistaken, Angel Studios is the producer. So, while it may not be an LDS film, it should be neutral to positive for church members. I'm more interested in seeing the upcoming movie, The Shift. 

Edited by prisonchaplain

15 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

The Shift

You missed it.  It happened this morning while you were asleep and the clocks when from 01:59:59 back to 01:00:00 (rather than ahead to 02:00:00).  The bad news is that you can experience it again in spring when the clocks go from 01:59:59 to 03:00:00 (skipping right over the entire 02:00 hour).  And then again next fall, and then again.... :angry2:

16 minutes ago, zil2 said:

You missed it.  It happened this morning while you were asleep and the clocks when from 01:59:59 back to 01:00:00 (rather than ahead to 02:00:00).  The bad news is that you can experience it again in spring when the clocks go from 01:59:59 to 03:00:00 (skipping right over the entire 02:00 hour).  And then again next fall, and then again.... :angry2:

7 hours ago, zil2 said:

Oh my goodness. I actually experienced it this morning so I can totally have an opinion. I usually sleep right through it. But I was curious to whether or not I truly had experienced it so I sat watching my phone for like 15 minutes to see what happened after 1:59 am. 

Was it entertaining? Eh...

10 hours ago, Backroads said:

Oh my goodness. I actually experienced it this morning so I can totally have an opinion. I usually sleep right through it. But I was curious to whether or not I truly had experienced it so I sat watching my phone for like 15 minutes to see what happened after 1:59 am. 

Was it entertaining? Eh...

Wait, wait, waitaminute...

So, you're saying that staying up to all hours of the night and sitting in a single position just staring at your phone for 15 minutes wasn't entertaining?

:D 

17 hours ago, zil2 said:

I know nothing about the movie, but if you mean DST, then yes, he is. 

To be clear, I was suggesting that the devil is behind the shift, not Angel Studios. Further, I would argue that standard time is God's answer to the devil's innovation--daylight time. 😁

23 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

To be clear, I was suggesting that the devil is behind the shift, not Angel Studios. Further, I would argue that standard time is God's answer to the devil's innovation--daylight time. 😁

Amen, brother!

I saw this with my wife who is a PhD/DO and works as an interventional cardiologist. We both really enjoyed it. The music and visuals were beautiful and inspiring. It did a great job blending the empirical with the experiential. To me, it put to rest the notion that these experiences are just the last gasp of dying brain cells. I don't believe the movie depicted outer darkness, but the separation of spirit prison from the rest of the spirt world. I certainly felt it confirms my faith. The two things the movie emphasized to me are how this life is temporary and not our true home and the immense love and mercy our Father in Heaven and his Son Jesus Christ have for all of us.  

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I always knew you were a thrill seeker. :D 

I spent Saturday morning in the laundry room. Folding clothes, organizing the shelves, watching Harry Potter theory videos on Youtube while I did all of this. 

It was wild. 

39 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I spent Saturday morning in the laundry room. Folding clothes, organizing the shelves, watching Harry Potter theory videos on Youtube while I did all of this. 

It was wild. 

People who live on the edge like this frighten me.

On 11/5/2023 at 8:54 PM, zil2 said:

Try writing the code to deal with it.  Holy nightmare, Batman!

If you think that DST is confusing here on earth – think how it would be, even in heaven and knowing the future of all things; how confusing it would be if by some stroke of luck (or time) that the second coming ended up when all the clocks are being reset to account for DST.  Then along with all the time zones and the international date line.  It would be impossible, even for G-d to prophesy the proper hour and day.

The Traveler