Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

LDSGator

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

@Jamie123, @askandanswer

Happy Thanksgiving! :P

For those outside the US, Thanksgiving is something of a harvest festival made into a national holiday by Abraham Lincoln (yes, THAT Lincoln). Every time someone sets up Christmas decorations too early a turkey dies. After seeing how difficult it is to change American culture, Lincoln stopped fighting it and declared an annual holiday for eating dead turkey.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

@Jamie123, @askandanswer

Happy Thanksgiving! :P

I had to think about this for a moment. It's business as usual here today with no turkeys and no family gatherings. The only days we officially note in November are Remembrance Day, on 11 November, to remember the signing of the World War 1 armistice, which occurred at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918, which is not a public holiday, and the first Tuesday in November in the state of Victoria, which is public holiday in that state, known as Melbourne Cup day, when the Melbourne Cup horse race is held. 

10 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I had to think about this for a moment. It's business as usual here today with no turkeys and no family gatherings. The only days we officially note in November are Remembrance Day, on 11 November, to remember the signing of the World War 1 armistice, which occurred at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918, which is not a public holiday, and the first Tuesday in November in the state of Victoria, which is public holiday in that state, known as Melbourne Cup day, when the Melbourne Cup horse race is held. 

What do you expect from a country founded by koala bears? 

😉 

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I've been pushing hard for a few years now to have a National Koala Week as a week long public holiday, when we all do for a week what koalas do most of the time, which is sleep for up to 20 hours a day. So far the idea hasn't taken off yet. That hasn't stopped me from leading by example and celebrating my own koala month every second month.

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

11 November, to remember the signing of the World War 1 armistice, which occurred at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918,

If only they'd done it in 1911, maybe WWI could have been avoided and we could have enjoyed more symmetry in the date.  The year 1111 would have been even better, but that might be asking too much.

6 hours ago, zil2 said:

If only they'd done it in 1911, maybe WWI could have been avoided and we could have enjoyed more symmetry in the date.  The year 1111 would have been even better, but that might be asking too much.

If I'm born on Nov 11 of 2000, than that would mean that I turned 11 years old on 11/11/11.  for those outside the US, that's 11/11/11. :D 

40 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

If I'm born on Nov 11 of 2000, than that would mean that I turned 11 years old on 11/11/11.  for those outside the US, that's 11/11/11. :D 

And for those who live downunder where everything is upside down, its 11/11/11

On 11/23/2023 at 9:24 AM, LDSGator said:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I’m so thankful for everyone here! 

IMG_2122.jpeg

Thanks!  We no longer cook a turkey per say but purchase what is called the Norbest turkey roll or roast.  What is unique about a turkey roll is that there are no bones.  It seems to cook better and maintain the moisture – making leftovers much better.  We have also dropped the traditional potatoes for a mixed veggie plater – health reasons.   

I am grateful and thankful.  What is interesting to me is that when I returned from the military and mission – to normal life, I had difficulty adjusting.  A native American (mission companion and friend) suggested that I consider a spiritual quest and 40 day fast in the desert wilderness of southern Utah eating and drinking only what G-d and nature would provide.  Having lived off the land for a few weeks I came across a little stream of pure sparkling water and a wild (open range chicken).  I do not think I have ever been more grateful and thankful for a meal.  After eating everything else and a few days later – I boiled down the bones until the were soft enough to eat – basically all that was left were feathers, beak and claws.

Hopefully all on the forum had a Thanksgiving Day that they were thankful for.

The Traveler

5 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Thanks!  We no longer cook a turkey per say but purchase what is called the Norbest turkey roll or roast.  What is unique about a turkey roll is that there are no bones.  It seems to cook better and maintain the moisture – making leftovers much better.  We have also dropped the traditional potatoes for a mixed veggie plater – health reasons.   

I am grateful and thankful.  What is interesting to me is that when I returned from the military and mission – to normal life, I had difficulty adjusting.  A native American (mission companion and friend) suggested that I consider a spiritual quest and 40 day fast in the desert wilderness of southern Utah eating and drinking only what G-d and nature would provide.  Having lived off the land for a few weeks I came across a little stream of pure sparkling water and a wild (open range chicken).  I do not think I have ever been more grateful and thankful for a meal.  After eating everything else and a few days later – I boiled down the bones until the were soft enough to eat – basically all that was left were feathers, beak and claws.

The Traveler

Happy Thanksgiving my friend! 

On 11/24/2023 at 10:34 AM, Traveler said:

The Traveler

That has my interest.  I need to look into the turkey roll or roast.  I tried to let my son do the carving of the Turkey the other day but my wife would have none of that.  I ended up carving the Turkey.  I really dislike trying to cut around all the bones, get the legs and wings off, etc...etc..etc. 

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

That has my interest.  I need to look into the turkey roll or roast.  I tried to let my son do the carving of the Turkey the other day but my wife would have none of that.  I ended up carving the Turkey.  I really dislike trying to cut around all the bones, get the legs and wings off, etc...etc..etc. 

If you live in Utah, the best place to get the Turkey rolls are at Reams.  Outside of Utah – good luck.  Most other stores try to modify the rolls and upsell them.  For those that do not live in Utah - Reams is a rather odd store ran by an odd family.  The founder has died and left stores to each of their kids (I do not think that they all get along all that well - but I do not know – just a guess).  Each store has its own kind of flavor.   The one I shop has the best made in store bakery.  It is also the best store to get Wheat Check cereal and canned apricots that I use to make a tart sauce for my home-made wheat waffles rather than syrup.

As a side note – there are other turkey roll options, but I think Norbest is the best – especially for the price.  I believe that the Norbest turkey rolls cook up better (moist and tender) than a whole turkey and any one can carve them.

The Traveler