Movie/show thread! What are you watching?

The fam went and saw One Life last night.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Life_(2023_film)

based on the true story of British humanitarian Sir Nicholas Winton as he looks back on his past efforts to help groups of Jewish children in German-occupied Czechoslovakia to hide and flee in 1938–39, just before the beginning of World War II.

I can highly, highly recommend it.  Everyone should know the story.  Inspiring and important reminder of how average folks can rise to the occasion.  Anthony Hopkins and all the other actors did an amazing job.  Easier to watch and less traumatizing/extreme/violent/shocking than Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan.   Excellent movie for older teens on up. 

In my life, as the son of a WWII vet, I've felt the pressing need to preserve and pass along the lessons my dad's generation learned.  This movie really really helped me forward that goal with my older daughter.

Edited by NeuroTypical

55 minutes ago, zil2 said:

The Antics of Klaw and Smoke on TLF*.

We have a new "puppy".  Yes, very young, in the same way baby elephants can be very young too.  When she gets zoomies the house shakes and the furniture gets rearranged. 

We also have an elderly cat who is so utterly disgusted at the new arrival, she can't even.  We thought she might be reaching the end of her life and not make it through the winter, but she seems to be running strong on her endless hatred of this doggo.

42 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

We have a new "puppy".  Yes, very young, in the same way baby elephants can be very young too.  When she gets zoomies the house shakes and the furniture gets rearranged. 

:wub: I always say that if there's an animal larger than your dog, but smaller than a horse, your dog isn't big enough. :D  Great Dane seems like the right size for a dog to me.  Congrats!

43 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

We also have an elderly cat who is so utterly disgusted at the new arrival, she can't even.  We thought she might be reaching the end of her life and not make it through the winter, but she seems to be running strong on her endless hatred of this doggo.

:animatedlol: Nothing more annoying when you want to just chillax than a hyperactive baby.  Hope she has a high perch from which to look down in disdain upon the inferior creature. ;)

Klaw adjusted faster than I thought he would - I was sure it would be longer before I could let them interact and weeks before I could let them be alone together.  Smoke came home with me on 21 March (last Thursday) and he and Klaw mostly made friends on the 25th (Monday) - they were mostly kept separate prior to that, but Smoke is an escape artist and knows no fear!  This morning there was a cuddle puddle and mutual grooming between my arms and between me and the keyboard. :D  More adjustments will follow, but I'm not worried any more.  It's interesting to see parts of Klaw's personality that I haven't seen before / in a long while.  He and Smoke are polar opposites from polar opposite beginnings.  I'm hoping Smoke helps Klaw be more brave. :)

This is a rewatch for me, but it cycled back around into another viewing: tv series The Booth at the End. Consists entirely, and I mean entirely, of watching people chat in a diner booth. Guy hangs out there, and people that want something come to him, and he tells them to do things, and they report back. Kind of twisted at times, but really a fun watch if you like character-driven stuff.

3 hours ago, Backroads said:

This is a rewatch for me, but it cycled back around into another viewing: tv series The Booth at the End. Consists entirely, and I mean entirely, of watching people chat in a diner booth. Guy hangs out there, and people that want something come to him, and he tells them to do things, and they report back. Kind of twisted at times, but really a fun watch if you like character-driven stuff.

Just finished Season One. Curse you, Backroads!

19 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

The fam went and saw One Life last night.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Life_(2023_film)

I can highly, highly recommend it.  Everyone should know the story.  Inspiring and important reminder of how average folks can rise to the occasion.  Anthony Hopkins and all the other actors did an amazing job.  Easier to watch and less traumatizing/extreme/violent/shocking than Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan.   Excellent movie for older teens on up. 

In my life, as the son of a WWII vet, I've felt the pressing need to preserve and pass along the lessons my dad's generation learned.  This movie really really helped me forward that goal with my older daughter.

Sounds Interesting, and though PG, it seems like it may not have too much of anything (language, violence, etc) on my list of things not to watch.  Interesting subject matter as well.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:25 AM, NeuroTypical said:

I think I might try this one. As much as I think Schindler is the man for all he did, I can't watch stuff like his titular movie.

3 hours ago, Backroads said:

We're on season 2 and I had forgotten some of the stuff that goes down.

I'm afraid of this series being a repeat of Once Upon a Time, where the premise sounds interesting and the series starts out solidly, only to degenerate all too quickly into a soap opera with manufactured drama and important-seeming but ultimately inconsequential events. I finished Season 2, and I honestly was put off by their treatment of religion and fanaticism—truly a Leftist's view of religion and the religious. I think of Obama talking disparagingly about those who "cling to guns or religion". The writers apparently share Obama's viewpoint. On the other hand, there is occasionally some raw honesty that seems to make the premise potentially insightful. But the leftist tropes too often interfere, which is disappointing. I am less than cautiously optimistic, but I am still hopeful. Maybe Season 3 will show some actual thoughtful and courageous writing rather than another paint-by-numbers recitation of the Leftist viewpoint.

If you haven't seen Cabrini, I recommend going to see it! It is a great movie!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14351082/

My wife and I loved it. If there is anything praiseworthy, lovely, or of good report we seek after these things. This movie is definitely praiseworthy and of good report.

Edited by Anddenex

On 3/28/2024 at 1:47 PM, Vort said:

I'm afraid of this series being a repeat of Once Upon a Time, where the premise sounds interesting and the series starts out solidly, only to degenerate all too quickly into a soap opera with manufactured drama and important-seeming but ultimately inconsequential events.

You sound like someone who jumped ship before Red turned gay.   We stayed until shortly after that.

Switching through some of the old Hollywood 'easter' films this past weekend, I stopped on 'The Greatest Story Ever Told'. I had not really seen it before and was surprised at the impressive scenery in it. There is a vastness in the backgrounds that I haven't seen in other of those types of films.  In fact, it's almost as if the land in which the story took place was that of Robert E Howard's mythical Conan world rather than the ancient near east. This may be worth getting on bluray just for that.

Wow.  I just realized that I haven't seen any TV or movie in a while.  But just this last weekend, the little lady and I went to see Dune Part II.

It was interesting to compare it to the 1984 version and contrast them both with the book.  Empress had not seen the earlier version, nor red the book.  So, it was nice to have a captive audience for me to share my thoughts about it all.

17 hours ago, lonetree said:

Switching through some of the old Hollywood 'easter' films this past weekend, I stopped on 'The Greatest Story Ever Told'. I had not really seen it before and was surprised at the impressive scenery in it. There is a vastness in the backgrounds that I haven't seen in other of those types of films.  In fact, it's almost as if the land in which the story took place was that of Robert E Howard's mythical Conan world rather than the ancient near east. This may be worth getting on bluray just for that.

There's a meme going around claiming that someone saw Watership Down, decided that because the cover pictured these cute little bunnies it would be a fun Easter film for the whole family to see, and developed a very severe case of regret. 

15 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

There's a meme going around claiming that someone saw Watership Down, decided that because the cover pictured these cute little bunnies it would be a fun Easter film for the whole family to see, and developed a very severe case of regret. 

It's fluffy bunnies! How cute!

45 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

A bit like hearing someone sing Hallelujah in Sacrament Meeting.  I heard it happened.

Posted (edited)

We finished Masters of the Air - miniseries following the actions of the 100th B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bomber unit in the Eighth Air Force in eastern England during World War II.   How refreshing, after 4 years of woke progressive DEI/LGBTQIIA+ messaging, to see a return to sanity from Apple TV.  The show helped me to instill a healthy respect for the US and WWII allied forces in my daughter, just at the right time.  Here in a culture where 'genocide' and 'fascism' have become common political insults, it was important to be reminded about what real genocide and fascism actually is.   

It was similar to One Life, a bit more gory and swear-ey.   Still a bit less traumatizing look at things than Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List.  Balancing the horrors with the good things. 

Wife and I also went through 2 seasons of Halo on Paramount+.  XBox HALO was an early activity we enjoyed when we were first married, and it was cool to see a live action version of it that did justice to the original.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

A bit like hearing someone sing Hallelujah in Sacrament Meeting.  I heard it happened.

Oof.  Someone failed to do their homework.  Or was out intentionally trying to sabotage things.  

On 3/27/2024 at 8:25 AM, NeuroTypical said:

We attended the Christmas Choir show last year where they talked about this. Amazing what one person can do when they follow the Spirit.

Slowly re-watching the anime adaptation for review:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Love_Story!!

It's a TV-PG to TV-14 romantic comedy in which a high school student the size of a Buick blunders into a relationship with a tiny little thing after he saves her from being harassed. 

He means well, but has never had to push himself mentally or academically because he's always had sports to fall back on. 

She's got a bright future, but is incredibly self-conscious because of her small size and how it puts her at a disadvantage in the world.