Neuquen, Argentina

Glasgow, Scotland

Dublin, Ireland

Daloa, Ivory Coast

Abuja Nigeria

Milan, Italy

Blackfoot, Idaho

I really hope so! I served down there from 1994-96

Utah County/south Salt Lake Valley seems to need more temples.  I’ve been trying to reserve evening baptism slots for me and my kids; and Saratoga, Mount Timpanogos, Orem, Provo, and Payson are all booked solid for weeks (morning and daytime slots available, but no evenings).  Lindon and the renovated Provo temple will bring three more fonts online in coming years, but I don’t see demand slowing  down anytime soon.  

I’m going to throw in a vote for Lehi, and perhaps Riverton/ Herriman/ Bluffdale. 

Here is a list of places with no temples built, in progress, or announced. Most new temples lately have been in places that already have at least one in the relevant state/country, but I think I usually have to cross one or two off the list per conference. So something to consider.

North American States/Provinces/Territories

New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Prince Edward Island, Yukon

Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Northern Mariana Islands, Rhode Island, South Dakota, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Aguascalientes, Baja California Sur, Campeche, Colima, Durango, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Michoacan, Nayarit, Tlaxcala, Zacatecas

Africa

Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Lesotho, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia

Asia/Middle East

Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen

Europe

Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Estonia, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Vatican City

Also Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland

Central America/Caribbean

Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cuba, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago

Oceania

Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu

South America

Guyana, Suriname

Also French Guiana and the Falklands

Utah Counties

Beaver, Carbon, Daggett, Duchesne, Emery, Garfield, Grand, Juab, Kane, Millard, Morgan, Piute, Rich, Sevier, Summit, Wasatch, Wayne

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Utah County/south Salt Lake Valley seems to need more temples.  I’ve been trying to reserve evening baptism slots for me and my kids; and Saratoga, Mount Timpanogos, Orem, Provo, and Payson are all booked solid for weeks (morning and daytime slots available, but no evenings).  Lindon and the renovated Provo temple will bring three more fonts online in coming years, but I don’t see demand slowing  down anytime soon.  

I’m going to throw in a vote for Lehi, and perhaps Riverton/ Herriman/ Bluffdale. 

One in Sandy, Sugarhouse or Millcreek would be helpful too.

57 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

Here is a list of places with no temples built, in progress, or announced. Most new temples lately have been in places that already have at least one in the relevant state/country, but I think I usually have to cross one or two off the list per conference. So something to consider.

North American States/Provinces/Territories

New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Prince Edward Island, Yukon

Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Northern Mariana Islands, Rhode Island, South Dakota, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Aguascalientes, Baja California Sur, Campeche, Colima, Durango, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Michoacan, Nayarit, Tlaxcala, Zacatecas

Africa

Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Lesotho, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia

Asia/Middle East

Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen

Europe

Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Estonia, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Vatican City

Also Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland

Central America/Caribbean

Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cuba, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago

Oceania

Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu

South America

Guyana, Suriname

Also French Guiana and the Falklands

Utah Counties

Beaver, Carbon, Daggett, Duchesne, Emery, Garfield, Grand, Juab, Kane, Millard, Morgan, Piute, Rich, Sevier, Summit, Wasatch, Wayne

They tend to only build temples in areas that have at least one or two stakes.

I will predict at least two in places I did not know there was even a ward there and one in a place I did not know even existed.

In my youth I could name all the temples – but back then there were only 12 and the year I graduated from high school they dedicated the 13th.   I set a goal to visit al the temples.  Currently I can’t even tell you all the temples in Utah.  I am starting to take all the temples for granted.  The wife and went to our assigned temple forgetting that it was closed for a week of deep cleaning.  So we just went to another temple.  We ended up finding out there 4 temples were closed for something before we found one (all within less than an hour drive of our home) was open.  Now days that problem is solved because we make appointments.   At the most recent Roots Tec I learned that on the Family Tree app I can find the name(s) of the closest relation to take to the temple.

I am guessing that we will be told that the Kirtland temple will soon be restored and rededicated.  I would like to be there for that.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

4 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

It seems that Utah gets a LOT of temples comparatively to elsewhere.  I think we need a few more in the East Coast and South East to balance things up a bit.

The world will be balanced (for sure) when the announcement is made for 24 temples in Independence Missouri.  🙂

The Traveler

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

balance things up a bit.

I've been off arguing church finances with the critics on another board for a few years.  I did a little research on where we stick our temples, measured by the GDP of the country where they're built, and I made this chart:

image.png.6e2320a0de1c980e19414a61d4584044.png

Each dot represents all the temples in a certain country.  So those two dots at the bottom right represent Brazil's 22 and Mexico's 25 temples, both horrendously poor nations with a per capita GDP of under $10k per year.  Temples are a massive investment of funds.  Maybe ~$60 million each to build, and maybe ~$3-4 million per year to operate.   

Yes, roughly half of the temples are built in happy rich 1st world high GDP USA.  Because that's where roughly half of the worlds' saints live.  But with only two exceptions, every other temple we build is built in a nation poorer than the US.  

158 temples are in countries with under $40k per capita GDP.  150 in countries with under $20k.  131 in the world's poorest nations, with the crushing poverty of under $10k per capita GDP.   If the saints in those areas had to rely on their own tithing donations to fund their temples, they couldn't hope to ever pay for one.

If you're a church critic with issues on how the church uses it's wealth, even you are forced to admit that half of the temples cost more than they bring in.  

We're currently seeing exponential growth in new temples.  When I ask myself how long that exponential growth will continue, one possible answer would be "as long as we can afford it".   Someone with a background in monitoring how large wealthy organizations run their charitable endowments ran the numbers.  Their back-of-a-napkin numbers said the church might be able to fully fund roughly ~2500 temples in poor areas who can't afford to pay for it via tithing.   At the current rate of growth, we could reach that in the year 2067.  

Imma be paying attention in General Conference when they announce new temples!   Hoping for 18-20 or more!  And every time a poorer nation is named, I'll be rejoicing!

Edited by NeuroTypical

Tirana, Albania

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Uruguaina, Brazil

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Bordeaux, France

Yamoussoukro, Ivory Coast

Kingston, Jamaica

Majuro, Marshall Islands

Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico

Abuja, Nigeria

East London, South Africa

Port of Spain, Trinidad

Kampala, Uganda

Mobile, Alabama, USA

Price, Utah, USA

Everett, Washington, USA

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA

Maracaibo, Venezuela

On 4/3/2024 at 4:49 PM, Traveler said:

I will predict at least two in places I did not know there was even a ward there and one in a place I did not know even existed.

In my youth I could name all the temples – but back then there were only 12 and the year I graduated from high school they dedicated the 13th.   I set a goal to visit al the temples.  Currently I can’t even tell you all the temples in Utah.  I am starting to take all the temples for granted.  The wife and went to our assigned temple forgetting that it was closed for a week of deep cleaning.  So we just went to another temple.  We ended up finding out there 4 temples were closed for something before we found one (all within less than an hour drive of our home) was open.  Now days that problem is solved because we make appointments.   At the most recent Roots Tec I learned that on the Family Tree app I can find the name(s) of the closest relation to take to the temple.

I am guessing that we will be told that the Kirtland temple will soon be restored and rededicated.  I would like to be there for that.

The Traveler

The Church already announced the Kirtland temple will remain as is and open to the public. They are allowing Community of Christ to still use it for some of their needs.

4 minutes ago, pam said:

The Church already announced the Kirtland temple will remain as is and open to the public. They are allowing Community of Christ to still use it for some of their needs.

It is also super-important for the independent Restoration Branches. Leaving it open will show a good faith effort to build bridges with our cousins in the faith.

4 minutes ago, pam said:

Who said Lehi???

@Just_A_Guy

Uturoa, French Polynesia

Chihuahua, Mexico

Florianópolis, Brazil

Rosario, Argentina

Edinburgh, Scotland

Brisbane Australia South Area

Victoria, British Columbia

Yuma, Arizona

Houston Texas South Area

Des Moines, Iowa

Cincinnati, Ohio

Honolulu, Hawaii

West Jordan, Utah

Lehi, Utah

Maracaibo, Venezuela

Edited by mikbone

Temples announced:

• Uturoa, French Polynesia
  • Chihuahua, Mexico
  • Florianópolis, Brazil
  • Rosario, Argentina
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Brisbane Australia South Area
  • Victoria, British Columbia
  • Yuma, Arizona
  • Houston Texas South Area
  • Des Moines, Iowa
  • Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Honolulu, Hawaii
  • West Jordan, Utah
  • Lehi, Utah
  • Maracaibo, Venezuela

6 minutes ago, pam said:

Who said Lehi???  JAG???? 

Huzzah!

Also another one for southwestern SL Valley, though not quite as far south as I had predicted.  😎

Edited by Just_A_Guy

By per capita GDP:

Temple  
Uturoa, French Polynesia 20000
Chihuahua, Mexico 10000
Florianópolis, Brazil 9000
Rosario, Argentina 10000
Edinburgh, Scotland 45000
Brisbane Australia South Area 55000
Victoria, British Columbia 50000
Yuma, Arizona 63540
Houston Texas South Area 63540
Des Moines, Iowa 63540
Cincinnati, Ohio 63540
Honolulu, Hawaii 63540
West Jordan, Utah 63540
Lehi, Utah 63540
Maracaibo, Venezuela 2400

4, maybe 5 of those 15 announced temples happening in countries where the tithe-paying members couldn't have possibly hoped to fund their own temple.  Yay tithing!

On 10/2/2022 at 4:10 PM, Carborendum said:

Pusan, Korea.

They also announced one in the north end of Texas.  It is about half-way between Dallas and Oklahoma City.  There really isn't much population in that area.  But it helps those who are in the no-man's land in between.

I wondered if they would do something similar between Houston and Dallas.  The problem is that the temple attendance in Houston is so abysmal, that they have no motivation to build another one that may help the north end of the Houston district.

I remembered that Carb had mentioned something about a new Houston-area temple on the old thread, but it looks like he was thinking the other side.

43 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

West Jordan, looks I'll be changing districts yet again (eventually.)  I'll guess the location south of 7000 S and West of 5600 W.  Most likely west of Mountain View Corridor.

If that's where it goes my sister and her ward will be changing then as well. They live off of 6200 So. and wayyyyy west.  

On 4/7/2024 at 5:38 PM, SilentOne said:

I remembered that Carb had mentioned something about a new Houston-area temple on the old thread, but it looks like he was thinking the other side.

I was surprised to hear of the new temple in South Houston.  (The current on is on the north side of Houston).

Temple presidencies have told our stake that we were pretty much the reason we were the reason the temple stayed open.  Our percentages are that high.  The saying was that if all the stakes in Houston alone (let alone the outlying regions) would have attendance rates as high as ours, we'd have to have four temples.

So, now we will have a second one.  I guess we're growing.