A true princess: Miss California

Wingnut

It cost her the crown, but good for her for standing up for her beliefs!

Perez Hilton 'Floored' by Miss California - ABC News

Excerpt:

Miss North Carolina may have taken the title of Miss USA. But everyone seems to be talking about first runner-up Miss California, who raised eyebrows with answer to judge Perez Hilton's question and sparked the ire of the self-proclaimed gossip queen.

Hilton asked Miss California's Carrie Prejean her thoughts on legalizing gay marriage during the Miss USA 2009 pageant, which aired live Sunday night on NBC.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of sad the whole thing.... P Hilton is just an idiot anyway .... I have seen him several times and wonder who would hire him but it is popular to have a outragous Gay Guy on TV... He kinda makes Gays look bad.........

Good for her for standing up for her beliefs.... she did not say it in a disrespectful manner......

I know this is a hot topic and I wish it wasn't such... I know how I feel but I do feel for the other side also.....

"I was floored," Hilton told ABCNews.com Monday. "I haven't said this before, but to her credit, I applaud her for her honesty. However, she is not a politician, she's a hopeful Miss USA. Miss USA should represent everyone. Her answer alienated millions of gay and lesbian Americans, their families and their supporters."

And if she had spoken out in support of it she would have alienated the other side. Kinda hard to represent opposite sides of the same argument at the same time. If you seriously expect somebody to represent 300 million odd people in anything but the fact she's human you are in fantasy land.

Hilton said Prejean could have chosen an answer that he believed would have been less political.

You asked her what she though, she told you. Though I suppose having the skill to give soft answers that don't actually let people know how you feel about something is a useful skill to develop particularly if you want to be in the limelight. I thought she wasn't supposed to be a politician though... make up your mind.

Interestingly enough if she had said, "I think it should be legalized in every state." it is just as political but I doubt would have gotten the response. So I don't think the issue here is that the answer was political or that it didn't represent everyone but that they didn't agree with it. And its fine you didn't agree with it just don't try to hide behind how it doesn't represent the American People (it represents a fair number of them or this would be a non-issue) and how its a political answer so thats why it isn't acceptable.

Edited by Dravin

I am so impressed. I will admit I don't usually have the best opinion of 'beauty queens' but this one is a hero. She knew what the 'right' answer would be, especially considering who asked the question, and chose to stay true to herself. I applaud her, and hope that many others will be heartened by her great example. For a moment there i was reminded of Abinadi facing the priests of King Noah. Good job.

Guest Alana

Wowza. I'm surprised Hilton said he wanted a less political answer. Maybe you should ask a different question next time. You know, one that can be answer by 'I'd give a puppy to everyone in the world.'

She should be proud of herself. Its important that we all stand up for what we believe is right and not worry about the consequences.

Its sad that she lost over that answer. That shows the poor shape our country is in. I hope more young people with stand publicly for truth and righteousness.

applepansy

The article indicated that there was booing.

That's what Perez said too, but from the video it was clear to me there was a lot of cheering which was surprising!

That's awesome she stood up for her beliefs - she shouldn't even have to say "no offense to anyone" after stating her belief, she knew it wasn't what Perez wanted to hear.

Also, did anyone see Perez's blog afterward? He called Miss California a "brainless dumb b****". I can't stand this lisping loser! Just gimme an icepick and a jar of bees.....

Excerpt:

How in the world was this individual considered in being a judge? Never watch the show but impressive in seeing she stood by her own admissions. Sad part, is the notable lacking in character of this boy - Hilton, seeing his immaturity [blogging issues after the show].

"Apparently, though, some were offended by Prejean's answer. On television, there could be heard the sound of boos, drowned out somewhat by applause. Hilton has been blogging about what he called the "worst answer in pageant history" since the show ended. "

Excerpt:

My concern is twofold:

First is that the proponents of gay marriage cannot produce even a single benefit to human society for changing traditional marriage.

Second is the effort to “demonize” anyone that holds traditional marriage (designed to provide and care for children over continuing selfish efforts of self gratification) as a good and necessary element requiring special consideration for the preservation of human existence.

The Traveler

Did anyone else catch what happened on Miss USA the other day? I didn't hear about it until this morning, but I really thought it needed to be commented on... I just saw what was on the Today show this morning, but this is what I understand the issue was. Perez Hilton (sp?), someone who I am not a fan of anyway, was one of the judges and he asked Carrie Prejean (?) who was Miss California what she thought about same sex marriage. She was true to herself and to her faith and answered honestly that she belives that marriage is an institution between a man and a woman. This answer royally ticked of Perez who then probably caused her to loose the crown. Later on his website he called her at least one nasty name and said that if she had won he would have run on stage and taken the crown off her head. He said that he would have appreciated it if she had left her religion and her politics out of it. (If that was true, why did he ask a politically charged question to begin with?)

Okay, I won't rant about how illogical his statements are, but I do want to point out that it seems to me (having seen footage of the prop 8 backlash) that this anti family movement does not 'fight fair' and while they demand respect from everyone else (which of course I respect and love all people, including homosexuals) and run around waiving signs saying that we are anti-love, as soon as they realize they aren't going to get the answer they want they feel like they can start making personal attacks and destroying people's dreams. I just think it is very hypocritical and sad. Any sympathy I may have felt (in my pre LDS life) for their movement has been quickly erased because of their own actions!

I also think that Miss California deserves a huge round of applause for how she handled herself, and not backing down from what she believes. We can all learn something from that example! She's the real winner to me!

:sunny:

"As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman," said Lewis in a statement. "I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family."

I have to wonder why the co-director feels so saddened that this girl does not share his opinion. As he said, religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family. So why should someone share his same religious belief, for that matter why should someone's religious belief matter in their placing in Miss California?

The matter comes down to the question asked. Hilton asked a political question that would result in a political and religious based answer, if he did not want the posibility of an answer he did not agree with then he should never have asked the question. If he feels that the answer was out of line, then he should look at the question that prompted the answer.

Because the very nature of same sex marriage goes against certain religion's beliefs there really can not be a "politically correct" answer, you are going to offend someone no matter what. Holding your personal beliefs as a standard that the entire world should live up to is unrealistic. Everyone is going to have their own view on things, it is just the way people work.

I definately applaud this girl for being willing to express her personal belief and opinion on the matter, no matter what the consequences.

I'm going to be The Jerk here and say: this behavior (of Hilton) is typical of someone who lives and breathes by a sinful philosophy. A person's logical self is warped and twisted and said person becomes so double-minded (s)he doesn't realized his/her own hypocrisy.

"She should have left her religion out of this"? Then don't ask a religiously-charged question, you idiot. "She alienated millions in the GLBT community with her answer... she doesn't represent America"? Had she answered the opposite- or declined to answer, or gave a hazy "Everyone should be happy!" (like Miley Cyrus did)- she would have alienated some group. The crux of the matter lies in the fact that Hilton belongs to said offended group- and is not mature enough to accept the fact that others have informed opinions that are opposite of his and, in fact, condemn him.

The most revealing point in the matter, though, is Hilton's fiery condemnation of Miss California on his blog. Concerning that:

Doctrine and Covenants 10:20-24

20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that Satan has great hold upon their hearts; he stirreth them up to iniquity against that which is good;

21 And their hearts are corrupt, and full of wickedness and abominations; and they love darkness rather than light, because their deeds are evil; therefore they will not ask of me.

22 Satan stirreth them up, that he may lead their souls to destruction.

23 And thus he has laid a cunning plan, thinking to destroy the work of God; but I will require this at their hands, and it shall turn to their shame and condemnation in the day of judgment.

24 Yea, he stirreth up their hearts to anger against this work.

Initially, I just wanted to put the story out there. I've had a few reflections in the couple of days since then.

• Perez Hilton said that Miss USA is supposed to represent everyone, and her answer alienated millions of gays and their families. So if she answered that she was in favor of gay marriage, or gave a non-committal answer, she would have been alienating the other end of the spectrum. Surely Mr. Hilton knows that the country is polarized on this issue. If he doesn't, he's even more stupid than I thought. He also indicated that she should have answered the way people in attendance would have wanted her to...a whole 20,000 people at the most.
  • Mr. Hilton's statement of what he would have done if she had done is absolutely atrocious. Run up on stage and snatched the crown off her head? Talk about low-class! First, he likely wouldn't make it up there past security anyway. Second, if he did, think about how many cameras and videos would have captured that moment. What a temper tantrum. That would sure help the homosexual agenda.
  • Mr. Hilton complained that her answer was too political. the answer he suggests that would be more appropriate is "Hmm, Perez, that's a great question, that's a very hot topic in our country right now. And I think that's a question that each state should decide for themselves." Now tell me that doesn't sound like a politician's non-committal way out.
  • Finally, she didn't even say that she was against legalization of same-sex marriage. She said that in her family, she was taught that marriage was between a man and a woman. That may be the case for many people who might still be in favor of legalization. Her statement later, however, indicates that she is not in favor of it.

My gay friend and his boyfriend, and myself, thought Miss California answered the question with class and that it's great that she stood up for her beliefs.

But we all agreed that she didn't really answer the question. The question was whether the states should follow suit after vermont and not, do you agree with vermont? So, if she lost because of her answer, then I can see why.

Perez is an idiot. Plain and simple. The gay community should ostracize him for his video commentary calling Miss California all kinds of derogatory names. If the gay community wants to uphold Perez as a spokesperson for their cause, then the gay community deserves all kinds of negative backlash for Perez' loud mouth!

So, yeah, I do not agree with same sex marriage, but I believe it should be put up for a vote. California and Florida voted. And they voted NO to same sex marriage. That should be the end of it until it sees itself on the ballot again.

There is a time and place to assert your beliefs - I didn't think Perez' question on the Miss USA pagaent was the right time for it as it didn't ask for her particular belief system. Now, if Miss California answered the question then added what she believes, then it would be appropriate.