Polygamy in the afterlife?

BusyB

I agree with you, except for the "repulsed" part. If polygamy is an eternal principle, I believe we will not be "repulsed" by it, but embrace it joyfully.

When my younger sister learned where babies come from, she was so disgusted she yelled at our mother. She swore she would never do any such awful, disgusting thing. Her children prove her lack of resolve on that issue. What seemed awful and vomitous to her as a child turned out to be nothing of the sort when she was old enough to understand and appreciate what was going on. So will it be with us, if we find polygamy (or any other strange-seeming institution) to be a part of celestial life.

Well, of course you will embrace it. You won't have to share your spouse.

Not to mention the other "benefits" men think of when they think of polygamy.

This is the classic response to the idea of polygamy. I disagree with it when men say it, and I disagree with it just as much when women say it.

If polygamy in the celestial realms is good, then it is good. Not "good for men and bad for women", but Good. Period. No matter how vehemently you may dislike the idea of polygamy, surely you can see this as an obvious truth.

Not to mention the other "benefits" men think of when they think of polygamy.

Which benefits would those be?

There are many Mormon myths that are just that, myths. There just is no clear cut doctrine on this subject.

The Celestial Kingdom will not be a place of coercion, it will be a place of happiness.

I heard so many things from well meaning friends that I later found out just wasn't doctrine - this is one of those cases.

I guess I'm behind the curve on claiming celebrity celestial wives. I was more concerned about whether or not I get to keep my Glocks. I think I should ask to be buried with my Glock 17. That way when I "burst forth" from the grave, I will already have it with me to take to the next life!!! Just think, if I become perfected, that means I shoot a perfect score every single time!!!

This is the classic response to the idea of polygamy. I disagree with it when men say it, and I disagree with it just as much when women say it.

If polygamy in the celestial realms is good, then it is good. Not "good for men and bad for women", but Good. Period. No matter how vehemently you may dislike the idea of polygamy, surely you can see this as an obvious truth.

Which benefits would those be?

Again, of course you see benefits, you're a man. You wouldn't have to make the sacrifices a woman would.

As for the benefits, don't play dumb, it's unbecoming.

I'll believe polygamy is a good thing when Heavenly Father himself tells me it is. In the meantime, I'll stick to my opinion that it is wrong and hurtful. I know you boys love the idea of having your own little harem' but I wonder how you would feel if you had to share Mrs. Vort with another man? You would be peachy keen knowing she's in another bedroom having sex with another man?

Informed Mormon men, being aware of the early Church's experience with polyandry, have no such assurance. And yet, some of us trust that if God reveals polygamy - or polyandry - or some other concept we find difficult; that it will indeed be for the ultimate good of all who receive that doctrine.

Again, of course you see benefits, you're a man. You wouldn't have to make the sacrifices a woman would.

How do you know what sacrifices I would have to make? How often have you lived polygamy?

I have polygamous ancestors who left journals. I have some slight idea of how polygamy is. More, apparently, than you do.

As for the benefits, don't play dumb, it's unbecoming.

I'm playing dumb. Of what benefits do you speak? Come on, if you see perceived benefits, spit them out.

I'll believe polygamy is a good thing when Heavenly Father himself tells me it is.

Which is pretty much exactly what I said, isn't it?

I know you boys love the idea of having your own little harem

I'm honestly shocked, Leah. I did not know you were like this. I have never seen this side of your personality.

You are clueless. You have no idea how I feel. Don't pretend you do. Your ignorance is vast.

but I wonder how you would feel if you had to share Mrs. Vort with another man? You would be peachy keen knowing she's in another bedroom having sex with another man?

If that is what constitutes celestial life and full happiness? Yes, of course. I am no fool.

I'll believe polygamy is a good thing when Heavenly Father himself tells me it is.

If only Vort had used a condition upon which he predicated his statements...

If polygamy is an eternal principle, I believe we will not be "repulsed" by it, but embrace it joyfully.

Edited by Dravin

My mom told me that we LDS members believe that the men will have several woman he's married to in heaven one day. Is this true? It seems so wrong if it is, and I don't understand it! I have been inactive since 17, so I never really learned too much of my own religion. I do believe it's true, but I just don't understand why I will have to share my husband one day in heaven.....? :confused:

Also, what about multiple marriages and being sealed more than once to different spouses?

Please give me trusted references to read up on this, if you can.

At various times God has allowed and or commanded polygamy. So those people will remain so if they have been true to their covenants and still love each other.

IF in the end it turns out a case that there are more women getting into heaven than men then yes I think you'll see some more polygamy (IMO).

That being said, will you be forced to take on something youre not willing to accept? no

I've stated before that mens nature is not monogamous. Mens values are monogamous

Because it is natural. It is like old Siamese saying. A girl is like a blossom, with honey for just one man. A man is like a honey bee and gather all he can. To fly from blossom to blossom a bee must be free. But blossom must not ever fly from bee to bee to bee.

The King and I

But honestly, I think this is a result of the Fall, I think in the Eternities we will feel more than satisified with a single spouse as we should here. More then one wife is just not romantic to me and it doesn't make sense with one man one women becoming one flesh.

the idea of polygamy is also fundamentally flawed. male : female ratio is 50 : 50. it's oppressing of women and i just couldnt support it.

Is it the media, what we've seen of polygamy, that is making you call it oppression of women? Just like any system of marriage, it can be abused. Yes, if you are making your women wear ridiculous hairstyles, have no opinions, etc, etc, yes, that could be called abuse.

But the concept of polygamy in and of itself? I can't imagine anything inheritantly oppressive about it.

I've stated before that mens nature is not monogamous. Mens values are monogamous

But honestly, I think this is a result of the Fall, I think in the Eternities we will feel more than satisified with a single spouse as we should here. More then one wife is just not romantic to me and it doesn't make sense with one man one women becoming one flesh.

I think we were cut from the same cloth, I totally agree.

We know of no need for polygamy in the next life.

The problem that I see with the portrayal of polygamy in the media etc, which is really the only source I have to begin to understand such a concept is that it seems like the wives enjoy the idea of having a bond with the other wives. Like the show "Sister Wives" it seems their focus is on the fact that they have a relationship with the other wives. That seems really bizarre to me as something that could potentially be continued in the next life. We are told that marriage is between a man and a woman, not between a woman and a woman and a woman and a man. This 'becoming one flesh' would also, by definition mean that the women are one flesh with each other as well. That goes against what we know constitutes a marriage, it is not of the same sex. The man could not be "one flesh" with one woman and also "one flesh" with another woman without the two women also being "one flesh" with each other.