Unbelievable Quote

mirkwood

We live in many societies. We live in our home groups, we live in our secular societies, and we live in our religious societies. Our actions, and the actions of those around us, affect everyone. We are not all fortunate enough to live on a tropical island, where we can go without bathing for 4 months and no one is around to be bothered by it (just an example :D ). Our actions and inaction have meaning to those around us. I believe this is what the person in the OP's post was trying to get to. Our future is in the hands of not only our own offspring but also those bratty kids down the street who have parents that are never around to discipline their kids. And in the hands of those kids who have parents who don't work for whatever reason. And those kids who will grow up to be CNAs and dairy workers and bank tellers and home/hospice caregivers and store managers. If we don't show, with whatever means are available to us, that these children are important, then why would these soon-to-be adult kids think we're important to them?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about if we agree to be wary, just in case government goes totalitarian or collectivist, and at the same time we agree to strive for schools that are well-funded with lots of activities and programs that all children can access (i.e. no sports 'fees').

For those unfamiliar, many school districts, include the one my children attend, now require students to pay fees for any sports activities. I think we paid just short of $200 for our one middle schooler this year. Obviously many low-income families will just tell junior he can't play.

How about if we agree to be wary, just in case government goes totalitarian or collectivist, and at the same time we agree to strive for schools that are well-funded with lots of activities and programs that all children can access (i.e. no sports 'fees').

For those unfamiliar, many school districts, include the one my children attend, now require students to pay fees for any sports activities. I think we paid just short of $200 for our one middle schooler this year. Obviously many low-income families will just tell junior he can't play.

Sometimes they have scholarships, but it's hard for low income families to afford the extra gas getting kids to their games and practices or maybe Mom and Dad work so late, they just don't have the time.

It's $100 for my son to play sports at middle school and they said there was a scholarship, but then I teach piano in the afternoons and it would be a scheduling nightmare. He took one look at the fee and said, "What a rip off!" He was slightly interested in playing tennis.

My friend just told me today that she finally had to tell her daughter that she can't be part of the high school dance team. It was going to cost my friend $2,000 just for her to be on the team (covers costumes and traveling, but not food while traveling). However, they found out last night that now the school decided to go to nationals which will cost an additional $1500 + (that estimate was based on last year's prices which have gone up). So, for a mere $4,000 her daughter could be on a public high school dance team.

I was astounded. That means anyone in the school who has parents that aren't willing to go into debt will pay a whopping $4,000 PER YEAR for their daughter to be on the dance team. That's $16,000 for those who can't add--that would about a semester or 2 at local colleges....

So what is your solution to the problem of parents who don't care? Do we just flush those kids down the toilet because they're a lost cause?

No, I think we need to try our best to help them, but let's not give the parents an out with flowery language about how their children belong to the community. We need more forceful language when it comes to people who don't care about the children they are making with their irresponsible behavior.

The message is, "Keep putting your sexual urges above the needs of children and we'll be here to enable you."

As a community, we do have obligations to report things to the parents that they aren't aware of, like their kid was seen driving wrecklessly, doing drugs, etc. And we can have all sorts of extra programs at the schools, but the parents have to get the children there and home.

but I think your imaginations are taking you for a wild ride on this woman's comments.

Nope, I am thinking by "small and simple" means the government can turn from freedom into captivity.

Note she is expecting, parents to get rid of the private idea that children belong to them, and to accept the idea that the children belong to the community.

No, children belong to parents wherever the parents reside the children become apart of a community, they do not belong to any community. The Church isn't asking me to get rid of my private idea that my children are mine. The Church actually recognizes that children belong to the parents and that the Church is an organization to assist parents in rearing their children.

So here's a soundbite. Sing it: "I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints..."

Think what our adversaries could do with that one. ;)

The church doesn't put a gun to my head if I don't pay my tithing.

Government and Religion are Apples and Oranges

...thankfully

So here's a soundbite. Sing it: "I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints..."

Think what our adversaries could do with that one. ;)

Sure if another song, or within the same song we sang, "Get rid of your private idea children belong to parents... they belong to the Church." ;)

The church doesn't put a gun to my head if I don't pay my tithing.

Government and Religion are Apples and Oranges

...thankfully

But can't you just hear it..."Those Mormons are brainwashing their little children to believe their church owns them. They even have kids singing it in large numbers on Sundays." :D

No, I think we need to try our best to help them, but let's not give the parents an out with flowery language about how their children belong to the community. We need more forceful language when it comes to people who don't care about the children they are making with their irresponsible behavior.

The message is, "Keep putting your sexual urges above the needs of children and we'll be here to enable you."

As a community, we do have obligations to report things to the parents that they aren't aware of, like their kid was seen driving wrecklessly, doing drugs, etc. And we can have all sorts of extra programs at the schools, but the parents have to get the children there and home.

Since we're all going nuts with taking the original quote to the farthest extreme...

We should put everyone on birth control from age 11 and then let them procreate if they demonstrate their worthiness.

Glenn's book is about what life could be like if the United Nations' Agenda 21 becomes a reality. Sadly they are making progress. I read Glen's book and then I read the Agenda itself.

Hmm, I thought it was all fictional. I started the book but didn't get very far. (So dark and depressing.) Where do you find the actual agenda to read?

Hmm, I thought it was all fictional. I started the book but didn't get very far. (So dark and depressing.) Where do you find the actual agenda to read?

Its referenced in the back of the book. There's a link to the UN site.

Dark? Depressing? YUP!!! Thus why I'm going nuts.

Edit:

http://www.un.org/esa/ds-d/agenda21/index.shtml

Edited by applepansy

• 1 month later...

Aha!!! I knew I'd find this thread sooner or later.

We've all expressed our opinions on this, so I wanted to throw this recent article in the mix and see if your opinions still hold. Mormon Parenting: It takes a whole ward to raise a child | Deseret News

It strikes me as funny that there always has to be the obligatory 'entitlement' reference when it comes to non-liberal Americans and this idea. But otherwise I like this article.