Makin' out in the chapel.

True story. It happened.

My friend and I walked into the empty (we thought) and dark chapel today to get choir practice going, and up from one of the pews popped a guy from the singles' branch. Then we realized there was a girl down there with him.

So inappropriate. I guess we're old busy bodies because we informed the YA branch president's counselor that was in the building.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'm old fashioned, but that's just not right!

I think most of us would agree that it was inappropriate. However, I don't think I would have informed a counselor (but I know everyone is different). I would have probably said something but that's about it.

Edited by Suzie

How sacred of a space is a ward chapel? It may not be part of a temple, but my first thought was, "WOW! Do they hate the church or what?" Even if a chapel was no more sacred than a general purpose room, just the fact that it's used as a place of worship suggests that to make out in one would be intentional disrespect. Telling an authority figure seems appropriate and restrained.

I think we need to stay away from criticizing Eowyn on a decision she made in how to react to it. It was a decision she made at the time. To be honest, I would have probably done the same thing.

Somehow I think a passing mention to the YA counselor (for a gentle reminder about sacred space) is a bit more subtle than my preferred method of dousing them both with a fire extinguisher.

But then again, I am not a subtle person.

So, before we get too bent out of shape over Eowyn's course of action- remember it could have been much, much, much worse.

Somehow I think a passing mention to the YA counselor (for a gentle reminder about sacred space) is a bit more subtle than my preferred method of dousing them both with a fire extinguisher.

But then again, I am not a subtle person.

So, before we get too bent out of shape over Eowyn's course of action- remember it could have been much, much, much worse.

Hmmm... I think pounds of alkeseltzer fwoooshed all around the chapel MIGHT just be a case of "cure is worse than the disease". Just sayin.

Edited by BadWolf
Wow. Double quote. HOW did I do that? Erasing.

I'd have chided them with words like, "Grow up." and then reminded them that parking lots were quite suitable for that kind of activity. I doubt I would have said anything to their leaders, but I can't bring myself to say that it would be wrong to do so. Different people will have different ways they are comfortable handling it, and that's fine.

I've always been taught that we treat the chapel with reverence. That is where we renew our covenants and worship, and our dress and behavior should reflect that. The fact that they were there, and in the dark, and lying down, made my friend and I feel like they needed some reminders from their leadership about a few things.

I've always been taught that we treat the chapel with reverence. That is where we renew our covenants and worship, and our dress and behavior should reflect that. The fact that they were there, and in the dark, and lying down, made my friend and I feel like they needed some reminders from their leadership about a few things.

I think you did okay. Not to get them in trouble, but to educate them as to how sacred the chapel is.

Now I understand that outside of the states, there are chapels that also serve as the cultural hall. But in those that have their own cutlural hall, the room is always to be kept sacred.

Maybe I am going to far, but would we make out in the baptismal font? We renew our sacred covenants with God in the chapel.

I think most of us would agree that it was inappropriate. However, I don't think I would have informed a counselor (but I know everyone is different). I would have probably said something but that's about it.

I would have informed someone in the YSA branch presidency, but I might have done it without naming names.

I agree. This is my line of thought as well. The branch presidency needs to know so that they can firmly reiterate the sacredness of our chapel space.

Also, making out in the chapel is inappropriate. Doing it lying down? Wow.

(Not that I never made out while lying down in my single days, but not in the chapel.)

Now I understand that outside of the states, there are chapels that also serve as the cultural hall. But in those that have their own cutlural hall, the room is always to be kept sacred.

Not just outside the states.

Why not name names to the branch presidency?

See my next comment in that post. I wouldn't bring it up as an issue of getting anyone specific in trouble, but as an issue of everyone in the branch needing to be firmly reminded to keep their hormones in check, or at least to check where they are when their hormones flare up.

Nevermind that what they were doing was not in harmony with the Law of Chastity, wherever it may take place. The fact that it was in the chapel raises additional concerns for both of them in my view. Sure it wasn't a direct violation of the LoC, but they were clearly on the path to that conclusion.

I would like to think I would have discussed this with them briefly after making sure both of them were upright and looking at me. I would like to think I would say something like "If you two cannot cotrol yourselves in this, of all places, perhaps I should point out how close you are to committing a very serious sin. You can avoid it, but that means stopping all of this activity you're doing together, and never dating alone until you're more under control, or married."

I don't know really what I'd do, but that is what I think ought to be done at least.

Hmmm... I think pounds of alkeseltzer fwoooshed all around the chapel MIGHT just be a case of "cure is worse than the disease". Just sayin.

As I admitted above, I am not a particularly subtle individual.

That having been said, which chapel is more likely to see a repeat of this event:

1) the ward/stake in which the matter was hushed up?

or

2) the ward/stake in which swift, dire, and cold consequences befall those who would profane the chapel in that fashion?

In life, some people serve as role models.

Others are useful only as dire warnings.

As I admitted above, I am not a particularly subtle individual.

I'm glad you pointed that out. I'm sure no one on this site has noticed that you lack that particular trait. :P