Something that sucks

Backroads

So... my parents have a long history of buying cheap vacuums one right after the other, and their latest just died.

Because they refuse to charge me rent, the Husband and I are thinking of buying them a nice vacuum that will live a little bit longer.

Any recommendations? Keep in mind, there are three long-haired cats in the house.

Nice title. :)

I've heard good things about the Dyson Animal. We've always been happy with a Eureka Boss. Our last one lasted 12 years. The new one isn't doing as well, but now we have 4 long-haired princesses and a long-haired dog, on top of me and all my hair.

I'm not sure there is an affordable vacuum that isn't in some respect a piece, but we got a Dyson and have liked it. We bought it at costco so we could return it if it broke. We've had it for a couple of years and haven't had any major issues. It isn't the miracle we were told it was but it's good.

I have a Dyson animal. We have 3 dogs and 3 birds. Works great even after 6 years. My only complaint is that it is bag less. I can't empty out the thing because my allergies go haywire.

I also like the Oreck Magnesium and it is also Made in the US if you're into that thing.

But, if I can spend $800 on a vacuum I'd get the Miele Premium. It's the best for a houseful of allergy sufferers.

We have a Dyson, and I regret the expenditure. Ours was in the mid-400s. I've heard that some of the Eureka ones are rated as high as the Dyson. Mind you, it's a decent vacuum--it's just not three times as nice as a Eureka.

Sometimes it's not a case of performs X function Y% better, but rather it simply lasts longer. A vacuum that is otherwise identical in performance but lasts half as long isn't worth it unless it costs less than half as much the more expensive, more durable option*. If it costs exactly half as much then it is a break even proposition. How do the Eureka vacuums stack up on longevity?

*Sometimes reality causes one to make an economically sub-optimal decision.

Edited by Dravin

I used to run through a lot of vacuums... Then I got a Dyson an had an "oh duh" moment and have been using it ever since.

With the Dyson we moved from a bagged system to a canister system.. I watched as that vacuum filled up its canister. Then it was a click to remove and then another click to empty and then we were back to work. I quickly noticed I was emptying it a lot.. At first I figured it was just a better performing vacuum compared to the one it replaced and once it caught up it would be fine.

It never did.

And I know my family can't have gotten that much dirtier between vacuums. This lead me to the "oh duh" moment. If the dirt level remained the same... then I wasn't replacing the bags nearly often enough. Replacing the bags was an expense (you had to go buy replacement bags), the bag was covered (and thus hidden) with a cloth covering so it was hard to tell if it needed to be replaced, and it was kind of a dirty hassle to disconnect one bag and put on the new one. So I avoided doing it until it was clear I had to.

All this basically meant that most of the time the older vacuums were trying to force even more stuff into an already full bag. More effort = higher wear = earlier failure.

You might not want to pay for a Dyson... But my advice would be to pick one that is really obvious and easy to empty out.

I got my Dyson animal for less than $400. I know you can get cheaper vacuums, but you can catch Dysons on sale (which I did).

And I took an informal survey at work. I talked with 5 people and 3 of them swore by their Dyson. The other two said they just bought the cheapest vacuum they could find. Based on my informal survey, I bought my Dyson animal and have loved it ever since.

What about a Roomba? They make those for pets now. Nothing sounds more appealing to me than having a robot (that may or may not revolt) do work for me.

Had one. Waste of money. It goes and picks up stuff then runs out of battery. I go over the same spot with the Dyson and much more stuff get picked up that the robot left behind.

So... my parents have a long history of buying cheap vacuums one right after the other, and their latest just died.

Because they refuse to charge me rent, the Husband and I are thinking of buying them a nice vacuum that will live a little bit longer.

Any recommendations? Keep in mind, there are three long-haired cats in the house.

My wife and I own a Kirby. The upfront cost is significant but, they will never have to buy another vacuum. It also cleans carpets and can buff tile floors. It is excellent on cat hair.

Kirby... my mom had a Kirby when I was a kid. It still works over 40 years later. I hated that vacuum. It was heavy and difficult to maneuver. But...IT GOT THE DIRT OUT!

40 years later... I bought a NEW Kirby. They are heavy but you don't feel it because the new transmission makes the vacuum light as a feather to maneuver. And... It Gets all the Dirt OUT! Love it and wish I had bought one a decade or so ago.

Addtionally: Two of my kids sold Kirby's for about a year. I was amazed at what I found out about other brands. I wanted a Dyson...not anymore. I had been looking at the newer Hoovers... no way. I thought the Roomba looked cool. Who doesn't want a vacuum that runs itself...but it doesn't clean anything. I was surprised at the brand which voids some carpet warranties.

Edited by applepansy

Addtionally: Two of my kids sold Kirby's for about a year. I was amazed at what I found out about other brands. I wanted a Dyson...not anymore. I had been looking at the newer Hoovers... no way. I thought the Roomba looked cool. Who doesn't want a vacuum that runs itself...but it doesn't clean anything. I was surprised at the brand which voids some carpet warranties.

I sold Ford trucks for about a year. I was amazed at what I found out about Chevys. Don't get me started on Toyota......