Warning

Traveler

I'm sure Christ has no problem with Megadeth, but maybe He prefers Pantera or Anthrax, you might be right. I love Megadeth, I've seen them live several times and I always tease LadyGator that if I won the lottery I'd be a roadie for them. 

Dave Mustaine, the lead singer of Megadeth, is a Christian. 

I try not to participate in hijacks but I can't stay silent on this one.  It's a personal topic for me.

Christ not having a problem with Megadeth, Pantera, or Anthrax?  I'm callin you out on this one my friend.  Do you know what the lyrics are in their songs?  They are about as carnal as it gets.  Some of them are flat out evil.  Christ has a problem with it, trust me.  He has a big problem with that kind of music. 

Great. On a serious note, I find it soothes me and brings me more into the spirit. Takes different types to run the world. 

In fact I often blast some good thrash metal (or punk, I love that style too) while I'm reading the Book of Mormon. 

Every Sunday I have it on while going to church. Puts me "in the zone" so to speak. 

I think it's the wrong spirit.  I listened to Rob Zombie, Alice in Chains, Alice Cooper, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Anthrax, Hatebreed, along with Aerosmith, Ugly Kid Joe, etc.  When I chose to not have that stuff in my life, I started to feel the spirit on a level that I never experienced and I changed.  In fact, my whole life changed in a very positive way.  I regret wasting so much time listening to that kind of music.

I still want to listen to that stuff.  It helped me feel good, but it took me a while to realize that it wasn't a spiritual kind of good.  It was a temporary "high" if you will.

Now, I will have to confess that not all of the music they write is bad.  For example, one of my favorites is UKJ singing "Cat's in the Cradle".  It's epic, epic, epic, but still a bit irreverent.  For the most part, the above bands write spiritually demeaning and spiritually suppressive music.

Being Peter Priesthood or Molly Mormon will never seem cool to the world. 

Guest MormonGator

I try not to participate in hijacks but I can't stay silent on this one.  It's a personal topic for me.

Christ not having a problem with Megadeth, Pantera, or Anthrax?  I'm callin you out on this one my friend.  Do you know what the lyrics are in their songs?  They are about as carnal as it gets.  Some of them are flat out evil.  Christ has a problem with it, trust me.  He has a big problem with that kind of music. 

I think it's the wrong spirit.  I listened to Rob Zombie, Alice in Chains, Alice Cooper, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Anthrax, Hatebreed, along with Aerosmith, Ugly Kid Joe, etc.  When I chose to not have that stuff in my life, I started to feel the spirit on a level that I never experienced and I changed.  In fact, my whole life changed in a very positive way.  I regret wasting so much time listening to that kind of music.

I still want to listen to that stuff.  It helped me feel good, but it took me a while to realize that it wasn't a spiritual kind of good.  It was a temporary "high" if you will.

Now, I will have to confess that not all of the music they write is bad.  For example, one of my favorites is UKJ singing "Cat's in the Cradle".  It's epic, epic, epic, but still a bit irreverent.  For the most part, the above bands write spiritually demeaning and spiritually suppressive music.

Being Peter Priesthood or Molly Mormon will never seem cool to the world. 

You are absolutely free to "call me out" on it. No problem at all. I disagree with you totally. My time at concerts has been the greatest time of my life. I compare it with going to the temple for the first time. Same kind of feelings. 

I feel to further discuss this would be to go around in a circle. I'm not going to agree with you and I think I'm right. You aren't going to agree with me and you think you are right. Clarity is more important to me than agreement, so I'm glad we see where we disagree. Have a wonderful, spirit filled Sunday my beloved brother in Christ! 

Edited by MormonGator

I feel to post a few quotes from C.S. Lewis (from Mere Christianity) -- though usually I hate C.S. Lewis being used as if he's some sort of gospel authority. But in this case, it's a philosophical idea I'm after...so....

I also think I'd best pre-amble this by suggesting we look at the theories behind it, rather than directly applying it without understanding the finer point. Or, in other words, I'm not quoting this in any regard to call anyone "bad people" (Lewis's words), nor am I trying to use it as proof positive of what is and is not evil, but rather to make the point that those enthusiastically engaged in something that drives the Spirit away are perhaps unlikely to be aware they are doing so.

“When a man is getting better he understands more and more clearly the evil that is still left in him. When a man is getting worse he understands his own badness less and less. A moderately bad man knows he is not very good: a thoroughly bad man thinks he is all right. This is common sense, really. You understand sleep when you are awake, not while you are sleeping. You can see mistakes in arithmetic when your mind is working properly: while you are making them you cannot see them. You can understand the nature of drunkenness when you are sober, not when you are drunk. Good people know about both good and evil: bad people do not know about either.”

"No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good. A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is. After all, you find out the strength of the German army by fighting against it, not by giving in. You find out the strength of a wind by trying to walk against it, not by lying down. A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in. We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it: and Christ, because He was the only man who never yielded to temptation, is also the only man who knows to the full what temptation means—the only complete realist."

You are absolutely free to "call me out" on it. No problem at all. I disagree with you totally. My time at concerts has been the greatest time of my life. I compare it with going to the temple for the first time. Same kind of feelings. 

I feel to further discuss this would be to go around in a circle. I'm not going to agree with you and I think I'm right. You aren't going to agree with me and you think you are right. Clarity is more important to me than agreement, so I'm glad we see where we disagree. Have a wonderful, spirit filled Sunday my beloved brother in Christ! 

We will agree to disagree.  I have a personal connection and experience to music (particularly this kind of music) and I wanted to share my experience with you.  Music is deeply rooted in my life and will always be part of it.   

I cannot agree with you more on clarity.  I understand where you are coming from, and you understand where I am coming from.  It is vital to proper and meaningful discussion.

I have had a wonderful Sunday and I wish you the same.  The talks today were awesome.  The first talk was about temptation and the second was about choices.

I see tattoos and body piercings as being largely irrelevant to any discussion on spirituality and personal worthiness, except perhaps in their effect as (somewhat poor) examples to the children.

That judgment is not my purview, and I'm happy to leave it to the Judge. But to hold that such people, by virtue of those very tattoos, body piercings, or whatever else, are actually better able to fulfill the duties of a Saint, strikes me as false doctrine, or at least as very dangerous ground to tread.

Just as a humorous aside, I note that the time will come when Christ will show us His body piercings as a sign of the sacrifice He made for us, and we will gaze upon His piercings with reverence and gratitude. :) 

Mark Mabry, the photographer behind Reflections of Christ, tells a great story about how he had to give up all unclean or ungodly media before he could have the inspiration to move his career and life in the right direction. I wouldn't do it justice, but before that, he was stuck, and after he made that sacrifice, the project that defines his career came together.

If ISIS and Iran ever get together and jointly do anything - and if anyone still has anything to repent about - I suggest you do not put it off any longer. 

Might as well throw China, Russia, and US in there too.

russia and and US have both started testing new nukes, and china and russia are making land grabs, and the sabre rattling seems to be getting more intense.

Can we get back to the subject of the OP?  This thread wasn't about the kinds of music we should/should not listen to. 

And there was some personal attacks we need to stay away from.

Might as well throw China, Russia, and US in there too.

russia and and US have both started testing new nukes, and china and russia are making land grabs, and the sabre rattling seems to be getting more intense.

just wondering about new nukes being tested by the US of A.  I am unaware of any nuclear testing taking place under the Obama administration.  Would you please enlighten me?

As to my reference to start this thread - It concerns the prophesies concerning Gog and Magog - Gog being a ruler and Magog being a land or country - and an alliance with Persia -- which if the Bible prophesy is to be believe is the beginning of the gathering of armies that will end in the final battle of Armageddon.

just wondering about new nukes being tested by the US of A.  I am unaware of any nuclear testing taking place under the Obama administration.  Would you please enlighten me?

saw it in the news, a few weeks ago. both russia and US testing new stuff. Mini nukes for now. (tactical).

for whatever hte news is worth.

• 4 weeks later...

ISIS is a threat to Iran. They are a greater threat to Iran than to the U.S. Because ISIS held territory is right at their doorstep. I don't think the two enemies will be getting together to cause trouble anytime soon. They will just do it by them selves. In this fight against Isis at least, I guess the enemy of our enemy is our friend. But still do your repenting :)

ISIS is a threat to Iran. They are a greater threat to Iran than to the U.S. Because ISIS held territory is right at their doorstep. I don't think the two enemies will be getting together to cause trouble anytime soon. They will just do it by them selves. In this fight against Isis at least, I guess the enemy of our enemy is our friend. But still do your repenting :)

Just to be a little more clear.  Gog according to prophesy is a leader that rules over the land of Magog.  Gog is not a nice or kind leader - but by whatever means - most likely force - he will unite many other land, people and kingdoms.  Anciently uniting other lands peoples and kingdoms was rather brutal process.  The land of Magog happens to be mostly what ISIS is currently occupying.  If ISIS is Gog and Magog they will eventually take control of Iran - along with many other countries in the region.  All this before they march on Israel or Jerusalem - which by then the term of scripture prophesy is the battle (or war) of Armageddon.

saw it in the news, a few weeks ago. both russia and US testing new stuff. Mini nukes for now. (tactical).

for whatever hte news is worth.

Just so you know - in order to be a nuke there must be critical mass.  Currently the H bomb requires plutonium to create enough force to trigger.  I do not know why the term mini is used - critical mass is critical mass.  There is not mini critical mass - it ether is or it isn't.   Maybe we should call all the others excessive - rather than calling something mini.

Just so you know - in order to be a nuke there must be critical mass.  Currently the H bomb requires plutonium to create enough force to trigger.  I do not know why the term mini is used - critical mass is critical mass.  There is not mini critical mass - it ether is or it isn't.   Maybe we should call all the others excessive - rather than calling something mini.

Depends.

Critical mass can be achieved to either take out a city block or take out the entire planet.  One is mini compared to the other.

Critical mass is the mass of a material necessary to create as many neutrons as are being absorbed.

When a nuclear reactor starts up, control rods (absorb neutrons) are slowly withdrawn in very small increments until the fissile material (usually Uranium and Plutonium isotopes that give off neutrons) is providing just enough neutrons to keep the reaction self-sustaining. It is expressed as a ratio and having a ratio of 1.000 is when the reactor is considered to have gone critical. Ratios well above 1.000 can result in runaway reactions, while below 1.000 the reaction can not be sustained. In power plants the critical point is usually reached at a very low power level. Most nuclear engineering computer codes can predict the critical point within a few cm.

Nuclear weapons can be made small or large by adjusting the amount of fissile material (these days it's usually Pu-239) and the method of detonation to either increase yield or decrease yield (the destructiveness of the device).  It's all very fascinating. However, there are design and physical limitations that prevent the creation of "planet-busting" weapons. That's only in the movies.

Yeah, in addition to being unspeakably vile, the planet-destroying scenario is laughable from a physics point of view. The deathstar was obviously generating power at a rate comparable to that of an actual star (about ten trillion times larger) in order to blow Alderaan to smithereens. Uh-huh. Good luck with that.

Yeah, in addition to being unspeakably vile, the planet-destroying scenario is laughable from a physics point of view. The deathstar was obviously generating power at a rate comparable to that of an actual star (about ten trillion times larger) in order to blow Alderaan to smithereens. Uh-huh. Good luck with that.

And THAT is why the Death Star is so cool!

:)

In Roddenberry's dreams.

Startrekkian technology, weak though it appears, has one overriding advantage over starwarsian tech: The transporter. Want to disable an enemy's ship? Beam their engine core (or their crew) into deep space. Need to get rid of weapons? Beam them away. It's the ultimate Magic Eraser®. Too bad Kirk and Picard were too dull to figure that out.

Startrekkian technology, weak though it appears, has one overriding advantage over starwarsian tech: The transporter. Want to disable an enemy's ship? Beam their engine core (or their crew) into deep space. Need to get rid of weapons? Beam them away. It's the ultimate Magic Eraser®. Too bad Kirk and Picard were too dull to figure that out.

Except for one problem.  They don't have Chuck Norris.

On the other hand, Star Wars has Chuck Norris in every single episode... he's the force.

Perhaps the concept is to use the energy of the planet to destroy itself.  It is a common concept of self defense - to use the power of one's opponent against them.